Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moor blizzard traps 1,000 people.

Moor blizzard traps 1,000 people.

Old Nov 26th 2005, 1:57 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moor blizzard traps 1,000 people.

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Click here.

It never ceases to amaze me that a country so accustomed to cold weather is at the same time so utterly incapable of dealing with it when it arrives.
Cold weather, yes. Snow - not so much of a problem generally. They can't justify the funds to keep snowploughs and clearers on standby for so little snow overall. It's not like the UK gets snow like Canada or North America does. And anyway, Vash - it's usually the wrong kind of snow....
Old Nov 26th 2005, 2:35 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

Click here.

It never ceases to amaze me that a country so accustomed to cold weather is at the same time so utterly incapable of dealing with it when it arrives.
What you fail to understand is that it was in Cornwall..... and the Cornish are about 50 years behind everybody else.... They've only just got inside loos and electricity down there! Mind you they do make bloody nice pasties... except the Ginsters ones which are facking minging!

Sonic
(ex-cornish bird marooned in hampshire!)
Old Nov 26th 2005, 7:38 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
just watched the videos off the bbc site...FFS theres hardly any snow there.......the problem is people dont know how to drive in these conditions properly.........it doesnt snow like it used to when I was a kid..we used to get 15 foot snow drifts and be snowed in for a week...it was great
Yep have to agree I had to laugh when we had snow here in Gosport a few years back (well when I say snow I mean about 1/2 inch covering the roads) no gritters out the buses ground to a halt, cars were skidding and crashing. I can remember up in Scotland the gritters always seemed to be out as soon as bad weather was forecast.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:21 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Yep have to agree I had to laugh when we had snow here in Gosport a few years back (well when I say snow I mean about 1/2 inch covering the roads) no gritters out the buses ground to a halt, cars were skidding and crashing. I can remember up in Scotland the gritters always seemed to be out as soon as bad weather was forecast.
On the news they were saying that authorities had been caught on the hop. ON THE HOP!!!! The forecasters had been telling us about snow all week!! And..... they were also talking about the "extreme weather conditions". These are not extreme weather conditions! This is winter. Winter in the UK can sometimes mean snow. It really gets on my tits that this country can't cope with any slight variation. A bit of sunshine in the summer and it's a drought, a tiddly bit of snow in the winter and it's extreme weather conditions. What a bunch of *******!!
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:29 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
On the news they were saying that authorities had been caught on the hop. ON THE HOP!!!! The forecasters had been telling us about snow all week!! And..... they were also talking about the "extreme weather conditions". These are not extreme weather conditions! This is winter. Winter in the UK can sometimes mean snow. It really gets on my tits that this country can't cope with any slight variation. A bit of sunshine in the summer and it's a drought, a tiddly bit of snow in the winter and it's extreme weather conditions. What a bunch of *******!!
PMSL - extreme conditions god help them if it gets any worse!! If you look at countries like Russia, Norway etc life just carries on as normal no matter how bad the snow.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:39 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah u knew when it was gona snow cos the gritters were out for a constant 24hours puttin down loads of salt lol the snow didnt stand a chance hehe
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:47 pm
Im a woomaaan

Originally Posted by biggy
yeah u knew when it was gona snow cos the gritters were out for a constant 24hours puttin down loads of salt lol the snow didnt stand a chance hehe
Yep it used to great especially when they used to close the schools (used to look out of the window as soon as I woke up then turn on the local radio and pray they would announce the schools closed due to the weather) I remember at primary school when we`d get milk and it would be frozen in the bottles.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:53 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep it used to great especially when they used to close the schools (used to look out of the window as soon as I woke up then turn on the local radio and pray they would announce the schools closed due to the weather) I remember at primary school when we`d get milk and it would be frozen in the bottles.

thats what put me off milk lol,,,, silly tart of a teacher used to bring in the frozen milk and sit it ON the radiator to thaw....by the time we got it, it was warm and ready to turn...............and she made us drink it....now I can only drink milk now and again and it had to b a new bottle open and straight out the fridge lol
Old Nov 26th 2005, 9:06 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't have happened to nicer place than Bodmin.
At least the crime rate may reduce for a few days.

Has always been one of the worst places in Cornwall for crime.
Exacerbated in recent years by the government sending the delinquents from other parts of the country so they can conform to society.
Doesn't work of course. It's an even worse shithole.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
true to a point - correct - continental Europe gets far more snow and cold.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
true to a point - correct - continental Europe gets far more snow and cold.
well i like the snow, it feels special and we get hardly any snow normally! Where did this 'white' christmas thing originate from? Popping out tomorrow to get some more beanie hats and gloves for the boys, plus we're having a good old family fry up for breakfast! We're going to be nice and warm, snuggled up in front of the fire.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 9:48 pm
Im a woomaaan

Originally Posted by glittababe
well i like the snow, it feels special and we get hardly any snow normally! Where did this 'white' christmas thing originate from? Popping out tomorrow to get some more beanie hats and gloves for the boys, plus we're having a good old family fry up for breakfast! We're going to be nice and warm, snuggled up in front of the fire.
oooh that sounds nice!! You`ve got me hankering for a fry up now!!
Old Nov 26th 2005, 10:34 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Click here.

Could maybe say the same about Australia and bush fires...
Old Nov 26th 2005, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
Exactly - I can't remember a story when it last snowed properly in the Uk at Christmas - now that would be worth having!

'Between 1971 and 1992 there was only one year - 1980 - when widespread sleet and snow fell across the UK on Christmas Day, whereas in the years 1993 to 2003 it happened five times.'

It also snowed in 2001 and 2004 - thing is, technically, snow might fall, but its not enough to wax lyrical about.

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Nov 26th 2005 at 10:39 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Click here.

My parents live in a village a couple of miles from the A30. They have been part of the rescue mission even though they are also snowed in. Everything on foot.............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.