Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Monthly living expense

Monthly living expense

Old May 17th 2010, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monthly living expense

Originally Posted by shafanm
4.5K for the whole year or initial expense ? Is it Govt or private school ?

My kids are from 9yr, 14yr 16yr and 18yr,
due to the situation we are in we'll be compelled to send only the two youngest two to school soon as we arrive and the both the eldest would have to wait till Jan 2011 to attend to Univ/ College. by which time our situation would have improved ? I ASSUME

KIDS education expense is an area I have to explore seriously looking for Govt assistance. Would appreciate any info in this regard.
No car? It isnt easy living in Aus without one especially in the suburbs and if you are trekking round looking at rentals it will be a nightmare.

Your 16 year old will have to be in school iirc (think Vic also raised its school leaving age to 17 recently in line with the other states) although it is a horrid time to be enrolling him - he could do the second half of year 11 but that would disadvantage him with respect to uni entry so you could argue and enrol him in year 10 and he can see out the year there. Your sons wont get any support at uni unless you are citizens in which case they may be able to apply for HECS HELP but that is means tested against your salary so expect to have to front up for fees and living expenses. Uni fees are going to be between $5k and $10k pa depending on the course they want to take - and those are the domestic rate fees.

I think your figures are definitely on the tight side and you will have to be very careful with your expenditure - one family of 4 I know spent $10k in the first month they were here and ran out of money even though they only bought a cheap car. Short term rentals until you can find something permanent are going to be at lest double the price of a long term rental at least and it can take you some time to get a long term rental. I dont know that an agent is going to be too happy at putting a family of 6 into a 2 bed unit - not when they will have the option of a whole load of nice professional couples vying for the same places.

Good luck, it is going to be a challenge
Old May 17th 2010, 7:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by IndieG
What about school uniforms, books, school fees (there is some to be paid even in Govt. schools). In my case they added up to almost 4.5k for 2 kids, a bulk of it for my child in Y9
Our cost for one child in year 9 is about $6,000 for the full year, in private school, and not the cheapest one either.
$4,428 was for annual fees.
$183 was for the books for the year.
leaving $1,400 for something else.

Old May 17th 2010, 7:34 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks for the info,
I thought migrants are entitle for Centerlink Benefits after 2 years. Anyway I hate to be a burden on Aussi tax payers. If I could manage the first 3 months with $12k, rest can manage as either one of us is bound to get some job to keep moving,
The FTB is for families with Children, and is one of the few things available without needing the 2 year residency.

However, although paid fortnightly, it is calculated annually, so if your income by the end of the year exceeds the threshold, you must pay it back.

Old May 17th 2010, 7:51 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The FTB is for families with Children, and is one of the few things available without needing the 2 year residency.

However, although paid fortnightly, it is calculated annually, so if your income by the end of the year exceeds the threshold, you must pay it back.
you can change your income online and it is reflected in the next payment.
Old May 17th 2010, 7:55 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Are we talking $12k or in GBP?

We brought $20k for a family of 4 and spent that over 3 months (including buying a 7 hr old Falcon for $7k). We used On Arrival accommodation ($200/wk all included) during that time. though we spent wisely, we did have several days out with the kids (if we hadn't done that I don't think we would have settled in as quick!!!). The rest went on deposits, buying furniture and white goods.

I also found job (on crap money) after a month or so, and then another one about a month after that.
Old May 17th 2010, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Also don't forget to claim your UK income tax back!!!
I believe the OP is from Sri Lanka so talking in AU$. And no UK income tax
Old May 17th 2010, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

jan&co will become famous soon enough

We arrived with about 20k with 4 kids of similar ages as yours. Bought a used mpv ($14k) and set them up at public schools for a total cost of $1600. There was no way to househunt and send the kids to and fro school and do grocery without a car. Do not underestimate the startup costs. The FTB was a tremendous help.
Old May 17th 2010, 8:08 am
Pie Eater

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
I believe the OP is from Sri Lanka so talking in AU$. And no UK income tax
Sorry, wrong assumption on my behalf.
Old May 17th 2010, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

We brought $20k for a family of 4 and spent that over 3 months (including buying a 7 hr old Falcon for $7k). We used On Arrival accommodation ($200/wk all included) during that time. though we spent wisely, we did have several days out with the kids (if we hadn't done that I don't think we would have settled in as quick!!!). The rest went on deposits, buying furniture and white goods.

I also found job (on crap money) after a month or so, and then another one about a month after that.
Your post enhances my courage to proceed with 12k that is available with me and face the consequences.

Thanks a lot
Old May 17th 2010, 10:49 am
Pie Eater

Your post enhances my courage to proceed with 12k that is available with me and face the consequences.

Thanks a lot
PR status can make a huge difference.

Once again, good luck.
Old May 20th 2010, 6:00 am
Just Joined

sydney_oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, If you r PR then with four kids u may be entitled to receive $1500 /month(approx.) depends on your estimated income as FTB Part A and B payment rent assistance included and u can apply for Tax File No. online even if you are not in australia.

All the best.
Old May 20th 2010, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

Originally Posted by sydney_oz
Hi, If you r PR then with four kids u may be entitled to receive $1500 /month(approx.) depends on your estimated income as FTB Part A and B payment rent assistance included and u can apply for Tax File No. online even if you are not in australia.

All the best.
Can we apply for a tax file online before validation and without Oz address.
Old May 20th 2010, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Can we apply for a tax file online before validation and without Oz address.
No
Old May 20th 2010, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

sydney_oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Yes You can apply for a tax file number (TFN) online if you are currently in Australia and you have a valid permanent migrant visa.
Old May 20th 2010, 10:15 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sydney_oz
Hi,
Yes You can apply for a tax file number (TFN) online if you are currently in Australia and you have a valid permanent migrant visa.
You can also get one on a temporary visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.