A month in Perth.

A month in Perth.

Old Apr 8th 2010, 7:30 am
Just Joined

nick.74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A month in Perth.

Hi guys,

First post jitters...

I've been looking into migration to Australia for many years now but due to a couple of factors I'm struggling to get a visa that I can apply for.

A little about me I guess... I'm nearly 36, single, I don't hold a degree but I do have 3 work experience in an area that's on the SOL list (Computer Support tech - 3294-11). From just this I'm already lacking a lot of points to apply for most visa's from what I can see. Are there any visas applicable to myself that I may have missed?

So my great idea (or maybe not) is to take a month off work and head out to Perth and see if I can find employers willing to sponsor. I've looked on all manner of Aussie job sites (careerone, seek etc) but everything offered on there is aimed at people who are eligible to work already. Am I missing some great resource on the net, am I barking up the wrong tree because I can't seem to find any actual companies on these sites, only agancies.

Sorry for such a long first post but I'm basically after information/help/advice, and would also like to hear from people who are/were in a similar position to myself, how did things go for you?

I appreciate your time and assistance guys and girls and if you need to know anything else, please just ask.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all
Default Re: A month in Perth.

Marry an Australian wife!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Did you know you can get extra points for the IELTS test? If you do, then I apologise, but if not, it's an English exam and worth doing for the points.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 9:05 am
Just Joined

I should have said really. I'm British, so doing the IELTS test shouldn't be a problem.

Marry an Australian wife? I didn't think polygamy was legal? Sorry, had to joke there. There aren't many Australians in Yorkshire, I've not managed to find one yet anyway.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

No one has any further useful information at all here?
Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:56 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nick.74
I should have said really. I'm British, so doing the IELTS test shouldn't be a problem.
Don't be so sure. Many many British fail in getting the required 7 in each band for bonus points.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:35 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nick.74
So my great idea (or maybe not) is to take a month off work and head out to Perth and see if I can find employers willing to sponsor.
A lot of Aussie employers are unwilling to sponsor, especially in an area where there are plenty of locals to do the job, such as in IT support type roles. The IT market for jobs is relatively stagnant at the moment so it's going to be quite competitive to find work.

I've looked on all manner of Aussie job sites (careerone, seek etc) but everything offered on there is aimed at people who are eligible to work already. Am I missing some great resource on the net, am I barking up the wrong tree because I can't seem to find any actual companies on these sites, only agancies.
Yes on the job boards you will mainly find agency jobs rather than direct employers advertising. Agencies have the belief that if you are not in the country you are a waste of time speaking to because there is no guarantee that if offerd a job you will actually make the move. Many agents have been let down by overseas candidates pulling the pin at the last minute.

As I mentioned previously, for IT support in the current market, it will be very difficult to get someone to sponsor you. Also, if you were to head out to Australia for a month, you would have a far better chance heading to Melbourne rather than Perth. Perth is small and you will really struggle to find work in your area whereas Melbourne is currently leading the way in employment in Oz. More jobs have been created in Melboure recently than anywhere else.

You'd have more chance with a degree though. Maybe go to uni and use you current IT experience/qualifications as credits towards an IT degree?

Or as one poster has already mentioned, marry an Aussie bird. Loads can be found in London!

Last edited by Deancm; Apr 10th 2010 at 12:40 am.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:55 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

As per Deancm's reply, it's extremely unlikely that you will find an employer that will sponsor you in the IT role that you mentioned - especially without formal tertiary qualifications.
On the whole, sponsorships in the IT industry don't happen like you might find if you were a graduate engineer where a quick visit to Perth would have a sponsorship package all ready to go.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be a good idea for you to come out anyway and see what you think of australia. I wish I had before I came out.

Its pretty unlikely that you will be able to find an employer to sponsor you to be honest, especially in perth where the number of options is a lot less. Do you have any relatives like an uncle out in aus that could sponsor you under the family visa?