Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Money worries and IVA

Money worries and IVA

Old Nov 3rd 2007, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money worries and IVA

Originally Posted by wesleyandjoanne
I take on board your opinion and like you said it's yours to have but.....

we are moving for a better life, to raise our son and give him the best opportunity possible and I cannot envisage that here.....with or without debts. We are never going to be in a position to make the next step up the property ladder or move to a better area or let him go to the better schools. I appreciate that debt is down to us and over spending, but who says you can't rectify it by selling up and moving on, if it truely is for the best.

I would like to thank all the people that have given advice and reassurances, you have been more support then I could realise.

jo x
I hope you'll post how you got on with debts, so as to help others who will no doubt post exactly the same kind of thing a few weeks from now and it'll all start over again
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by on a mission
I'd lend as much as you can cash, against your house, and go and hand the keys in to the mortgage people.

Let them argue amongst themselves who gets what,

and you get loads of cash in AUs, that you have supposed to have spent in the UK.......

who gives a sht , the banks arent arsed, they let you do it....
And who pays for this at the end of the day?! Maybe I see it from a different view as due to the collapse in the USA market due to folk not paying their mortgages etc means I receive no bonus in feb 08?!

debbie
Old Nov 5th 2007, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

wesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nice

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
I hope you'll post how you got on with debts, so as to help others who will no doubt post exactly the same kind of thing a few weeks from now and it'll all start over again
Absolutely, I will update here once all is fine and dandy...fingers crossed. We accepted an offer on the house last week and the sold board went up outside today, so that's another step closer to a new start

Jo
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to all

Absolutely, I will update here once all is fine and dandy...fingers crossed. We accepted an offer on the house last week and the sold board went up outside today, so that's another step closer to a new start

Jo
good luck to you in yor new start

Last edited by sarahlou; Nov 10th 2007 at 9:21 am. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

dwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the rough

so does anyone know what happens if you apply for bankrupcy say 3 months before you go?
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:45 am
Banned

british whinger is an unknown quantity at this point

if you racked debt up, would that be conspiracy to defraud institutions knowing you did it, to take cash out of the country.

interesting one.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 12:56 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by british whinger
if you racked debt up, would that be conspiracy to defraud institutions knowing you did it, to take cash out of the country.

interesting one.
If you don't intend to pay it back, yes.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Before you go with down the IVA track, google it and if you read the various sites there are not a lot of cases successfull.

It seems that the banks or whoever your debt is with usually only accept an IVA if you have not kept up repayments for quite a while as they see it as a lost cause but if you have been keeping up the repayments then they see it for what it is.... don't mean to be rude, but that you don't want to pay it in full.

We were in exactly the same boat as yourselves, I wanted to go down the IVA route, OH said no way, our debt we pay for it. We payed it all off when we sold the house and I have to say I feel better for doing it.

Saying that I am leaving the UK not paying 2 months of my mobile phone bill (as I have already paid them but they say I haven't) and without boring you with another long story I am leaving the tax credit people owing them £1,700 They can chase me if they like but they won't get it!

Good luck with whatever happens

Nic
Old Dec 6th 2007, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

dwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the rough

so what happens if the companies you owe find you in oz? can they then come after you in oz / get the hands on your oz assets?
Old Dec 6th 2007, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dwaindibley
so what happens if the companies you owe find you in oz? can they then come after you in oz / get the hands on your oz assets?
From what the OP said, no, they can't but the minute you return to the UK you might have bad credit. I think it all depends on how much, how big a compnay etc.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 2:30 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Have to say if you rack up debts in the UK , basically you should pay them.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 7:49 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
we are so careful now. We will NEVER have a credit card again. or any credit for that matter if we can help it.
I resemble this remark!!!!

We sold our house and paid off all our debts in the UK... don't underestimate what a great feeling it is not owing anybody any money.

I would try and pay off everything, if you can... and come over here with a clean slate... it might mean you have to work harder once you get here.. but at least what you have have, you own!!

I get scared now looking at interest rates on credit cards and think how much interest i've paid over the years to banks/credit card co's.. theiving barstewards!

We did have a result about 4 months after we got to Oz, Nat West paid back all the charges they'd charged on hubby's business account - which wasn't a massive amount - but every little helps!

That's my 2c worth....
Sonic x
Old Dec 6th 2007, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

wesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nic938
Before you go with down the IVA track, google it and if you read the various sites there are not a lot of cases successfull.

It seems that the banks or whoever your debt is with usually only accept an IVA if you have not kept up repayments for quite a while as they see it as a lost cause but if you have been keeping up the repayments then they see it for what it is.... don't mean to be rude, but that you don't want to pay it in full.

We were in exactly the same boat as yourselves, I wanted to go down the IVA route, OH said no way, our debt we pay for it. We payed it all off when we sold the house and I have to say I feel better for doing it.

Saying that I am leaving the UK not paying 2 months of my mobile phone bill (as I have already paid them but they say I haven't) and without boring you with another long story I am leaving the tax credit people owing them £1,700 They can chase me if they like but they won't get it!

Good luck with whatever happens

Nic
It's interesting to see that we're not the only ones who are or have suffered financial difficulty. By taking the IVA route and as the debts are in OH name, when we sell the house they would only be entitled to his half of what we make. I would rather they have the other half than none at all to set up our new life.

Its such a tough one, I've ummed and arrred over it and wanted to pay as much off as possible but it still wouldn't be enough. We would have to leave a loan running here and possibly an overdraft to go with some money.

I have had to change my mindset a bit, I was always of the mind that we have to clear the lot before we go, but paying debts at the moment is crippling us. I know that even though we are going ahead with an IVA it is the right thing for us and the debts will be paid........not the amounts that banks/credit cards want....... but at least we will leave with a clean slate and not have to keep paying off debts here.

Jo x
Old Dec 7th 2007, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's interesting to see that we're not the only ones who are or have suffered financial difficulty. By taking the IVA route and as the debts are in OH name, when we sell the house they would only be entitled to his half of what we make. I would rather they have the other half than none at all to set up our new life.

Its such a tough one, I've ummed and arrred over it and wanted to pay as much off as possible but it still wouldn't be enough. We would have to leave a loan running here and possibly an overdraft to go with some money.

I have had to change my mindset a bit, I was always of the mind that we have to clear the lot before we go, but paying debts at the moment is crippling us. I know that even though we are going ahead with an IVA it is the right thing for us and the debts will be paid........not the amounts that banks/credit cards want....... but at least we will leave with a clean slate and not have to keep paying off debts here.

Jo x
Good luck Jo, I really hope it works out for you both. Keep in touch.

Nicx
Old Dec 7th 2007, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

aus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brissydeb
And who pays for this at the end of the day?! Maybe I see it from a different view as due to the collapse in the USA market due to folk not paying their mortgages etc means I receive no bonus in feb 08?!

debbie
Hi Debbie,

Sorry but what you speak of was not just down to the fact the people did not pay their mortgages, it was primarily down to institutions recklessly loaning money to people in the sub-prime market, who had no hope of repaying the loan should interest rates move against them, which it did.

Just thought it was rather unfair to lay all the blame at those people who did/could not pay off their mortgage as this was not, I assume, a conscious decision not to repay the loan.

Regards,
Darren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.