Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Money worries and IVA

Money worries and IVA

Old Nov 2nd 2007, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of
Default Re: Money worries and IVA

Originally Posted by wesleyandjoanne
Any help would be appreciated, just wondering what other people have done or experiences you've had.

I'll start by saying that we are not running away from our debts and fully intend to pay, but are struggling and wish to set up the best life possible when we go.

My OH has spoken to an IVA agent and they have given us an option of taking an extra £18K with us (paying debtors a lump sum from sale of house and writing off the other half) but it will mean OH having a crap credit rating here for the next 6 years. Obviously we are going with a view to not returning but you just never know.

We don't want to rack up a load of credit in Oz but if he goes ahead with IVA does anyone know if this will have an adverse affect on him getting credit/mortgage in OZ, he is the main earner of the house.

Any help?????

Thanks

Jo
Hi, are you already in an IVA agreement?

If not my suggestion would be to sell the house give the money to you and say he blew it all on gambling!!!!

They cannot have what you haven't got (assuming its just your OH and not both of you).

My partner went bankrupt last year for debt he built up before he met me. Because he had no assessts it was better for him to go bankrupt. These days it only lasts a year. Ok he cannot get credit but he couldn't with an IVA either and it lasts longer!!!

Not sure how it will affect us in Oz but my credit history is fine.

He has to pay £100 per month for 3 years, compared to the debt its nothing.

Hope that helps.

Claire x
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

wesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wandathecat
Hi, are you already in an IVA agreement?

If not my suggestion would be to sell the house give the money to you and say he blew it all on gambling!!!!

They cannot have what you haven't got (assuming its just your OH and not both of you).

My partner went bankrupt last year for debt he built up before he met me. Because he had no assessts it was better for him to go bankrupt. These days it only lasts a year. Ok he cannot get credit but he couldn't with an IVA either and it lasts longer!!!

Not sure how it will affect us in Oz but my credit history is fine.

He has to pay £100 per month for 3 years, compared to the debt its nothing.

Hope that helps.

Claire x

Thanks Claire,

IVA agent has worked out how much debt OH owes and what we will get from the house sale. Rather than pay monthly, we are going to offer a sum of cash for all creditors to accept, from his half of house. That way we keep my half for OZ.

Feel better knowing that we will be going with more cash than planned and that I won't have to worry about ANY debt back here. We both just want a fresh start and pray we are more careful with our miney this time.

Jo x
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 2:42 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wesleyandjoanne
Thanks Claire,

IVA agent has worked out how much debt OH owes and what we will get from the house sale. Rather than pay monthly, we are going to offer a sum of cash for all creditors to accept, from his half of house. That way we keep my half for OZ.

Feel better knowing that we will be going with more cash than planned and that I won't have to worry about ANY debt back here. We both just want a fresh start and pray we are more careful with our miney this time.

Jo x
good for you!

Its a hard lesson to learn. After what we've been through, i have sole controll over the finance(he can have what he wants buts has to let me know first) so i know what is going out, when and who to and if we can afford a little something every now and again.

we are so careful now. We will NEVER have a credit card again. or any credit for that matter if we can help it.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

The only credit card we have now is the one paying for the visa, long story but the money for the visa ended up somewhere else

your creditors should except anything rather than nothing so keep it as low an offer as possible they can only say no!!!
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 3:35 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Pleaeeeeeaaaasee!

Just assure me changing countries is for a real new start! Reasons for debt on this forum are people driven not an excuse for changing place or a different country.

This thread for me rates along side
- if I have a baby he will stay with me
- marriage crappy lets emigrate

My opinion and I can have it

Last edited by Sandra; Nov 2nd 2007 at 3:40 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by on a mission
I'd lend as much as you can cash, against your house, and go and hand the keys in to the mortgage people.

Let them argue amongst themselves who gets what,

and you get loads of cash in AUs, that you have supposed to have spent in the UK.......

who gives a sht , the banks arent arsed, they let you do it....
That is so tempting with the state of the housing market at the moment. If our house sale falls through (started process with buyer mid August) it wouldn't take much for you to understand why people would do it!!
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sandra
Pleaeeeeeaaaasee!

Just assure me changing countries is for a real new start! Reasons for debt on this forum are people driven not an excuse for changing place or a different country.

jerry springer or jeremy kyle or even ricky lake comes to mind here
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 7:27 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Pleaeeeeeaaaasee!

And others can disagree with you
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Pleaeeeeeaaaasee!

Not sure exactly what you are intending to achieve here by posting this? you are being deliberately antagonistic... and a bit patronising tbh! but as you say, "my opinion.. and I can have it"...

ho hum

Em x
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 8:26 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see that Australia is still attracting the 'cream' of british society.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 8:31 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

There was me thinking what a refreshing change and how good it was that this thread was offering advice not ripping the op to shreds and condeming them.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Good to see that Australia is still attracting the 'cream' of british society.
Good grief Man! What on earth do you mean by the "cream of british society" ?

I mean, after 10 years of applying and failing to get a visa and finally meeting their rather exacting criteria and thus obtaining a permanent status.. and £2K+ later of fees (not mentioning all the other extras) etc etc ... if that means in your eyes we are the dregs then FINE BY ME!!

Em x
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

wesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nice

Pleaeeeeeaaaasee!

I take on board your opinion and like you said it's yours to have but.....

we are moving for a better life, to raise our son and give him the best opportunity possible and I cannot envisage that here.....with or without debts. We are never going to be in a position to make the next step up the property ladder or move to a better area or let him go to the better schools. I appreciate that debt is down to us and over spending, but who says you can't rectify it by selling up and moving on, if it truely is for the best.

I would like to thank all the people that have given advice and reassurances, you have been more support then I could realise.

jo x
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 1:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Keep the thread civilised everyone, please, or you know what'll happen.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GinaUK
It's a little bit more complicated: I've just taken out Australian car insurance. One of the questions was whether I'd ever been declared bankrupt (and there were some other questions related to debts). I don't know what would happen if you had to answer "yes". Maybe the'd refuse you insurance or you'd have to pay a higher premium.
Gina
Gina,

Having worked and lived in Australia since 1969 - only to return to UK a few years ago, I can tell you that:

Insurance: They do not check overseas records, they will ask if you have a No Claim Bonus and they may grant you the 3-yrs bonus or more in Australia, but this is up the the person on the phone........

Credit:

Australia has CRAA (Credit Reference Ass Australia) plus Dunn and Brad and others, but under the Australian Govt Credit Act, they can NOT take any overseas ratings nor can they access this. (Unlike UK or USA) If you leave with owing funds in UK, then as others have said, once you return you face the music. If you declare bankrupt that also has not infulance in Australia. If you tell them that you have bad UK credit rating, then more fool you as they will mark this with (CRAA)

I quote this extract:

Australia's primary credit bureau is Credit Advantage, formerly known as the Credit Reference Association Of Australia, which holds records on over 12 million people and one million businesses. Credit Advantage is used by approximately 3,800 credit providers, who make a total of 45,000 enquiries per day.

Due to legal restrictions, Credit Advantage does not report any positive information. It is essentially a "blacklist" containing listings of accounts that are at least 60 days past due, along with public records of lawsuit judgements and bankruptcies. Bounced cheques of over $100 (after two attempts at clearing) and enquiries are also listed.

Defaults, bad cheques, court judgements, and enquiries remain in a consumer's file for five years. Paying off a defaulted account will not cause the item to be removed - the listing will be changed to note the paid-off status, but will remain (as a negative) until five years after originally being reported. Bankruptcies remain for seven years. Vaguely defined "serious credit infringement" (probably meaning high-dollar fraud) can remain for seven years.

The company started in 1967 as the Credit Reference Association Of NSW, with 90,000 files containing bad debt information contributed by the Retail Trader's Association Of NSW. The database originally consisted of paper index cards in shoe boxes. In the early 1970s, notations of enquiries were added to the files.
Hope this helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.