Money worries!

Old May 5th 2007, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of
Default Money worries!

Hi all

This has probably been asked before BUT to all of you out there, how much money do you realistically need to start again in Oz? We are not one of the lucky one's with loads of money but when we first started the process we knew we would have about £45,000 to go with. Now, when you start thinking that we will have to pay for flights, have to buy 2 cars outright as I believe you cannot get finance when you first get there (please correct me if I am wrong), then pay out for short-term rental for a couple of weeks, then 3months long-term rental to ensure you get somewhere as they are like gold-dust I believe, then 20% deposit on a house, stamp-duty etc, well we are in a negative balance. I just wondered how other people coped and would love to hear some positive stories to cheer me up!

Thanks

Nic
Old May 5th 2007, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Money worries!

Originally Posted by Nic938
Hi all

This has probably been asked before BUT to all of you out there, how much money do you realistically need to start again in Oz? We are not one of the lucky one's with loads of money but when we first started the process we knew we would have about £45,000 to go with. Now, when you start thinking that we will have to pay for flights, have to buy 2 cars outright as I believe you cannot get finance when you first get there (please correct me if I am wrong), then pay out for short-term rental for a couple of weeks, then 3months long-term rental to ensure you get somewhere as they are like gold-dust I believe, then 20% deposit on a house, stamp-duty etc, well we are in a negative balance. I just wondered how other people coped and would love to hear some positive stories to cheer me up!

Thanks

Nic
You need as much as you have, in my opinion. You dont have to buy brand new cars. There are plenty of good second hand deals although second hand cars are a lot dearer then in the U.K You definitely can get finance when you first get here if you want it. You dont have to have 20% deposit fro a house thats just not true even though you keep hearing it.
Some have come with a lot more then you have and others have come with a lot less. It's a case of ensuring you are sensible with what you have until you are both secure in jobs. We didn't have a lot when we came and have managed just fine. £45k is around $100k, plenty of people would be more then happy to start of with that, and remember you can always save more when you are settled over here. Good Luck and stop worring
Tracie
Old May 5th 2007, 12:27 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Me and the missus have done the sums (which is difficult when neither have jobs lined up) and it does look a bit scarey.Generally wages are lower,interest rates higher and the cost of living comparable.So looking at it that way it does look tight.

but....

we will be going over with a few grand and be debt free! well,until we get a mortgage that it

I do feel your worries though,but i'm not doing it for the financial aspects...in fact...why the hell am i doing it

Good luck.

Lee
Old May 5th 2007, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud of

Hi all

Thanks

Nic
Hi Nic
I am going through these thoughts myself, worrying if we are going to have enough money to get by, as neither of us have got jobs to go to. Our house is up for sale so I suppose until that sells we really don't know what we will have left once we have paid everything off. But my hubby keeps saying to me we will be debt free, and life is a gamble and hopefully it might pay off.

Nicky
Old May 5th 2007, 12:36 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzy Fever
Hi Nic
I am going through these thoughts myself, worrying if we are going to have enough money to get by, as neither of us have got jobs to go to. Our house is up for sale so I suppose until that sells we really don't know what we will have left once we have paid everything off. But my hubby keeps saying to me we will be debt free, and life is a gamble and hopefully it might pay off.

Nicky
our situation in a nutshell

good luck

Lee
Old May 5th 2007, 1:24 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Thanks

Nic
If you had 100,000 it still wouldnt be enough. People migrate everyday with nothing and many posters on the forum would have been glad of 45,000 pounds.

Just be sensible with what you have and although the temptation may be to spend like you were on holiday for the first couple of weeks - your not.
Old May 5th 2007, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Lornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to all

Hi all

Thanks

Nic
Hi we are are in the same position as you with about 40k to take over i am so worried about it but if we dont try we will always regret it!

Lorna
Old May 5th 2007, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Thanks for all your replies guys. In some sick way it is always nice to know that someone else is in the same position as you are Please don't misunderstand when I say we only have £45k, I know that is more than some people and in turn they would be glad to have that much, but saying that for the one's that are going with £100k well, I will say no more....

Nic
Old May 5th 2007, 6:48 pm

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all your replies guys. In some sick way it is always nice to know that someone else is in the same position as you are Please don't misunderstand when I say we only have £45k, I know that is more than some people and in turn they would be glad to have that much, but saying that for the one's that are going with £100k well, I will say no more....

Nic
Any reason why you have chosen Perth ?, your 45K would go further in other areas.
Old May 5th 2007, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Nicky

good luck

Lee

It's a bit like the Forest Gump film "Life is like a box of chocolates, you don't know what you are going to get until you try it (I think that is the ending anyway).........."
Yes it is a gamble and one that we are also taking so, all the very best to one and all.
Old May 5th 2007, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NeilCk
Any reason why you have chosen Perth ?, your 45K would go further in other areas.
Hi, we chose Perth because OH is a brickie. Spoke to a few people on here from Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane and everyone said "go to Perth, it is where the money is". I really hope they are right

Nic
Old May 5th 2007, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grahampaula

Nicky

good luck

Lee

It's a bit like the Forest Gump film "Life is like a box of chocolates, you don't know what you are going to get until you try it (I think that is the ending anyway).........."
Yes it is a gamble and one that we are also taking so, all the very best to one and all.
And to you, good luck and all the best in your adventures!

Nic
Old May 5th 2007, 9:46 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Thanks

Nic
Without second-guessing your situation, I would seriously wonder why you *need* two cars. Running a car is expensive: why not make every attempt to start with one until the finances are solid?
Old May 5th 2007, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wol
Without second-guessing your situation, I would seriously wonder why you *need* two cars. Running a car is expensive: why not make every attempt to start with one until the finances are solid?
We thought of that, but believe me, when I say we are going to buy 2 cars, we are going to only spend £2k on a cheap run-a-round for OH for work and then spend £6-£8 on car for me and 3 kids. If we get rental near primary school then it won't be too bad and we could hold off for a while I am only thinking of the worst case scenarios. You can tell I am ever the optimist

Nic
Old May 5th 2007, 10:19 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We thought of that, but believe me, when I say we are going to buy 2 cars, we are going to only spend £2k on a cheap run-a-round for OH for work and then spend £6-£8 on car for me and 3 kids. If we get rental near primary school then it won't be too bad and we could hold off for a while I am only thinking of the worst case scenarios. You can tell I am ever the optimist

Nic
Sure - but you are still talking, with registration, insurance etc, of around 25% of your available cash. It's not my place to advise, but.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.