Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Money Transfers and Tax Returns

Money Transfers and Tax Returns

Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light
Default Money Transfers and Tax Returns

We've been here 2 months. I've been working 6 weeks so am registered as a permanent resident for tax purposes. I've barely earned $4000 as I work part time and obviously started right at the end of the tax year but because I've been taxed I need to fill out a tax return.

My query is do you need to declare the UK money transferred when you were initially setting up? Presumably this is non taxable.

Last edited by 77hil; Jul 6th 2010 at 12:07 am.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:07 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money Transfers and Tax Returns

Essentially yes. The capital that you brought with you from the UK is not declared as income in general.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Centurion
Essentially yes. The capital that you brought with you from the UK is not declared as income in general.
So yes you need to declare it but it will likely not be taxed or no there's no need to declare it? Sorry if I'm appearing a bit dim.

Last edited by 77hil; Jul 6th 2010 at 12:40 am.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:53 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 77hil
So yes you need to declare it but it will likely not be taxed or no there's no need to declare it? Sorry if I'm appearing a bit dim.

No, you don't need to declare the money that you transferred over to set up with. That isn't taxable UNLESS you left it for a while, and there was a substantial gain in the $ value of that money in the intervening time between you arriving in Australia and the time you transferred the money.

There is no tax to pay on moving your own money around, unless you are doing so in a way that could be classed as income. There is various conjecture about this, and a search will see that it has become a heated topic over the years. I think some people have gone down the route of obtaining a private ruling.

But if your circumstances are as simple as they suggest, then there should be nothing to declare there.

S
Old Jul 6th 2010, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Cool. Sounds like I just need to declare the $4000. Should be simple enough.

Many thanks!