Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Money transfers ?

Money transfers ?

Old Sep 7th 2006, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

lang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud of
Default Money transfers ?

Hi again, I need some advice on transferring money from the UK to OZ.
We are moving out there in around 6 weeks and I have no idea what to do with the money we are taking. Our house is sold and we will have the money in the bank in around 4 weeks. Must you transfer it before you go and can you open a bank account from the UK before you arrive in OZ. Your help would be most appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 9:19 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money transfers ?

Originally Posted by lang81
Hi again, I need some advice on transferring money from the UK to OZ.
We are moving out there in around 6 weeks and I have no idea what to do with the money we are taking. Our house is sold and we will have the money in the bank in around 4 weeks. Must you transfer it before you go and can you open a bank account from the UK before you arrive in OZ. Your help would be most appreciated.
Thanks.

http://www.migrantbanking.co.uk/
Old Sep 7th 2006, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

We opened an account with HSBC international before we left the UK. It took about a month so you still have time. Try looking them up on line. They were very helpful. (sorry I can't find their UK number in my stuff!)
As for transferring money, we didn't bring much so just got our bank to do it, but if it's a large amount the exchange rate is very important as it can mean the difference of thousands of dollars as we are currently finding out. We are in the process of selling our house in the UK (as we rented it out initially) and we too, would be interested in finding out how to get the best exchange!
Good luck with your plans.
Claire. x
Old Sep 8th 2006, 12:26 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.tranzfers.com
Old Sep 8th 2006, 12:33 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Great for smaller amounts, for amounts over 2000 (and also run bt the Tranzfers mob) http://www.ozforex.com
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbo2
We opened an account with HSBC international before we left the UK. It took about a month so you still have time. Try looking them up on line.
http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/t...oving-overseas
Old Sep 8th 2006, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Also ANZ - you can open an account by post from the UK (about 10 days).

You can pay money in - but can't take it out until you've activated the account in person (and thereby prove your Identity).

I can second recommendation for Tranzfers / OzForex.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068

I can second recommendation for Tranzfers / OzForex.
i'll third that-we used them with no problems.