Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Money Transfer Plan

Money Transfer Plan

Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:33 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Default Money Transfer Plan

How does this sound for a plan...open an account in London with the Commonwealth bank, deposit the proceeds of our house sale in the account. Move to Aus. open a commonwealth account there and then transfer the money into the Aus. bank..?????...

Does this make any sense.......
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:05 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money Transfer Plan

Originally Posted by CORKER
How does this sound for a plan...open an account in London with the Commonwealth bank, deposit the proceeds of our house sale in the account. Move to Aus. open a commonwealth account there and then transfer the money into the Aus. bank..?????...

Try www.migrantbanking.co.uk/

when you set up your account here they also set up your account in OZ ready to transfer the money into, certainly the easiest option IMO.

Kevin
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:14 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

that is our plan too......... in fact that is EXACTLY our plan! LOL
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

Only two "wrinkles":

1) The Commonwealth is generally regarded as a cr*ppy bank in terms of service - although you can change accounts once you get here. Have a look at www.bankchoice.com.au to select the best sort of account for your circumstances. Note that you can establish an account with Westpac before leaving the UK - a better bank all round (my opinion of course) - at:

http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/p...igrant+banking

2) Check the exchange rate - there is mention of "migrant" rates but see what HiFX (www.hifx.co.uk) and Ozforex (www.tranzsfers.com) can do for you. The cost of going with a pure "bank" can be very substantial.

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
that is our plan too......... in fact that is EXACTLY our plan! LOL
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 12:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fardell
2) Check the exchange rate - there is mention of "migrant" rates but see what HiFX (www.hifx.co.uk) and Ozforex (www.tranzsfers.com) can do for you. The cost of going with a pure "bank" can be very substantial.

A few years ago many people were using Exchange Direct plc to move funds from house sales etc. Better rates than the banks etc. In December 2001 Exchange Direct went bust suddenly and lots of money disappeared in transit. I don't know if/when people got any of it back, but that particular fiasco demonstrated there was little or no external support or consumer protection available at the time.

Things may have changed since, but I would ask some hard questions. It's one thing to use an FX broker to move small sums regularly when the savings add up and the risk is smaller, but if you are looking to transfer a large sum then sticking with licenced banks at both ends is the safest option.

Jeremy
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:14 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
A few years ago many people were using Exchange Direct plc to move funds from house sales etc. Better rates than the banks etc. In December 2001 Exchange Direct went bust suddenly and lots of money disappeared in transit. I don't know if/when people got any of it back, but that particular fiasco demonstrated there was little or no external support or consumer protection available at the time.

Things may have changed since, but I would ask some hard questions. It's one thing to use an FX broker to move small sums regularly when the savings add up and the risk is smaller, but if you are looking to transfer a large sum then sticking with licenced banks at both ends is the safest option.

Jeremy
I agree Jeremy - the thought of a money transfer company holding ALL my miney is scary to say the least - I will be sticking with the banks!
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

The concerns are very understandable although Exchange Direct was actually a very small firm by todays standards and regulation has improved considerably - Ozforex for example is regulated by ASIC in Australia and has an AFS license which strictly controls activity/behaviour and capital requirements. At least use them to benchmark the exchange rate the bank is offering you, there is a very significant difference between the rates given to retail customers and companies and the banks make very substantial profits.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree Jeremy - the thought of a money transfer company holding ALL my miney is scary to say the least - I will be sticking with the banks!
commonwealth are the most awful bank I have ever made the mistake of dealing with - we have now opened an account with Westpac but several others are pretty good.

Check the rates and fees very carefully, not everything with the Commonwealth is up front
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 1:05 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
commonwealth are the most awful bank I have ever made the mistake of dealing with - we have now opened an account with Westpac but several others are pretty good.

Check the rates and fees very carefully, not everything with the Commonwealth is up front
really? can give details?
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 1:35 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of times I have done a spot check on rates by ringing round one after the next asking for best rate for this amount now.
I didn't find the differance large enough, I am moving quite a bit, to warrant not going with the Commonwealth.
We get 3% interest here with the Commonwealth which isn't great but trying to transfer money from a uk savings account to buy when you are abroad looked a pain.IMO

When we get to OZ we will look at Banks again.

Kevin
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Check out TRANZFERS.

SS
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

really? can give details?
The fees for our Commonwealth account came out to be about $30 for the first month of usage as they charge you for just about everything, we also found that we could only transfer a maximum of $2000 out of the account each day. I ended up having to schedule transfers every day for a week as we had transfered £9,000 in from our UK transfer account. To add insult to injury it ended up taking a total of over two weeks to get the money through into our Australian Commonwealth account before we could start transfering it into the Westpac.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 1:34 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

that`s what i did mate!! easy peasy no complaints
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 11:17 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
The fees for our Commonwealth account came out to be about $30 for the first month of usage as they charge you for just about everything, we also found that we could only transfer a maximum of $2000 out of the account each day. I ended up having to schedule transfers every day for a week as we had transfered £9,000 in from our UK transfer account. To add insult to injury it ended up taking a total of over two weeks to get the money through into our Australian Commonwealth account before we could start transfering it into the Westpac.
Thats really bad - I mean $2K per day os pretty bad if you are going out setting up your new homes, etc
We will be looking at Westpac too. Anybody got info (good or bad) about them?
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 5:11 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wengerboy
that`s what i did mate!! easy peasy no complaints
Did you transfer all your money in one go or did you have to move $2000 a day???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.