Money and Tax

Old Apr 29th 2004, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice
Default Money and Tax

I have a looming dilema, I have a job to go to and I haven't sold the house yet.

Do I go now and leave parents to sort out the house?
As I don't have to start my job until September, do I wait for a couple of months?
If I leave and the house sells later, how long have I got to exchange my money before they call it an overseas income and tax the hell out of it.

I need to go NOW its killing me. Please tell me I can go now.
Old Apr 29th 2004, 9:15 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Money and Tax

Originally posted by Whingin Pom
OK, You can go Now

Seriously you can

The worst that could happen is that you pay some tax based on the EXTRA profit if you sell it at a higher price than the value of it at the time you become resident here in OZ.

Just make sure you have paperwork to prove it is already on the market at a reasonable price at the time that you become resident.

I can't see any other difficulty myself.

Old Apr 29th 2004, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Money and Tax

I have a looming dilema, I have a job to go to and I haven't sold the house yet.

Do I go now and leave parents to sort out the house?
As I don't have to start my job until September, do I wait for a couple of months?
If I leave and the house sells later, how long have I got to exchange my money before they call it an overseas income and tax the hell out of it.

If you have someone who will sort out your loose ends in the UK, no worries mate, book that flight.

As ABC Diamond says, you will be able to prove you are selling your home so you won't have any problems with proceeds being assessable income. Different answer if you rent out your property but I guess this is not going to be the case.

You will be taxed on any forex gain you make on UK cash between date you become resident and when you transfer money over (may be a loss though !!) and on any interest earned.
Old Apr 29th 2004, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice

Cheers for the replies,

So lets get this straight,
I prove the house is on the market before I fly at market value,
I then fly to Aus,
The house sells and all I pay is tax on any earnings above that at which it would have made if I had sold before landing in Aus, eg. interest gained in the bank and/or exchange rate increase.

Does that sound right?

Cheers again.
Old Apr 29th 2004, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Cheers for the replies,

So lets get this straight,
I prove the house is on the market before I fly at market value,
I then fly to Aus,
The house sells and all I pay is tax on any earnings above that at which it would have made if I had sold before landing in Aus, eg. interest gained in the bank and/or exchange rate increase.

Does that sound right?

Cheers again.

Yup, that's about it
Old Apr 29th 2004, 10:54 pm
ABCDiamond

Cheers for the replies,
So, have you booked your flight yet ??

Old Apr 29th 2004, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

If your house isn’t sold, are you still paying the mortgage on it? If so, you may want to calculate how long you would be prepared to pay for a UK mortgage plus rent/mortgage in Oz. What if it take 6-12 months to sell the house?