British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Money - Looking out for your stash (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/money-looking-out-your-stash-197451/)

Megalania Dec 17th 2003 10:47 pm

Money - Looking out for your stash

infochoice

podgypossum Dec 17th 2003 10:57 pm

Meg..thanx for that link, just what i was looking for!! We need to deposit our cahs somewhere until we can buy a house and i just discovered our bank is the worst interest payers of the lot!

bondipom Dec 17th 2003 11:05 pm

PP I use www.ingdirect.com.au . I get 5% interest and instant (well the one day it takes to transfer to Westpac) access. So far so good. They have now opened in the UK as well.

podgypossum Dec 18th 2003 11:23 am

Cheers BP..i'll take a gander

OzTennis Dec 18th 2003 11:45 am

Originally posted by bondipom
PP I use www.ingdirect.com.au . I get 5% interest and instant (well the one day it takes to transfer to Westpac) access. So far so good. They have now opened in the UK as well.
Thanks for the link BP. They are the Dutch 'mob' who bought Barings Bank for £1 aren't they? Do they have a link with Westpac or are you just transferring funds from your Westpac account to Ing? 5% instant access seems very good.

OzTennis:)

Herman Dec 18th 2003 11:57 am

Originally posted by OzTennis
Thanks for the link BP. They are the Dutch 'mob' who bought Barings Bank for £1 aren't they? Do they have a link with Westpac or are you just transferring funds from your Westpac account to Ing? 5% instant access seems very good.

They are that mob. I had the same ING account as BP but transferring between my Commonwealth Bank savings account. You can connect it to any savings account (i.e. current account as we call them in the UK). Never had any issues with ING - good reliable website, good interest rate. They dont have branches though, hence they are a low cost outfit able to pay good rates.

bundy Dec 18th 2003 12:27 pm

Originally posted by bondipom
I've just gone and opened a UK ING account, so fingers crossed that it works....

OzTennis Dec 18th 2003 12:47 pm

Originally posted by Herman
They are that mob. I had the same ING account as BP but transferring between my Commonwealth Bank savings account. You can connect it to any savings account (i.e. current account as we call them in the UK). Never had any issues with ING - good reliable website, good interest rate. They dont have branches though, hence they are a low cost outfit able to pay good rates.
Thanks very much for that Herman. Could we set up an Ing account in the UK (like Bundy) and transfer to Australia (either to the same or a separate Ing account) from our Royal Bank of Scotland account? I'm thinking of house sale proceeds, savings etc being transferred when we move back to Oz. Presumably ING are regulated by RBA and though not having 'bricks and mortar' will have to comply with the same regulations as the Commonwealth's, Westpacs etc.

bundy Dec 18th 2003 12:50 pm

Originally posted by OzTennis
Thanks very much for that Herman. Could we set up an Ing account in the UK (like Bundy) and transfer to Australia (either to the same or a separate Ing account) from our Royal Bank of Scotland account? I'm thinking of house sale proceeds, savings etc being transferred when we move back to Oz. Presumably ING are regulated by RBA and though not having 'bricks and mortar' will have to comply with the same regulations as the Commonwealth's, Westpacs etc.

They do seem to be fully regulated...just won some award as well. Check out www.ingdirect.co.uk for more info. Not sure about the transfer thing but would like to find out more

tetley101 Dec 18th 2003 1:40 pm

here is another link you might also find useful

http://www.moneynet-offshore.com/aus_index.shtml

OzTennis Dec 18th 2003 1:43 pm

Thanks for the help and the links Bundy and tetley.

Megalania Dec 18th 2003 4:32 pm

Citibank Australia offer 5.25%. They usually have the best rate.

Funds must be personal not held in trust for company, trust ...

OzTennis Dec 19th 2003 8:15 am

Originally posted by Megalania
Citibank Australia offer 5.25%. They usually have the best rate.

Funds must be personal not held in trust for company, trust ...
Thanks very much for the link.