British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   money exchange (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/money-exchange-742950/)

brian.w Dec 27th 2011 11:31 am

money exchange

i know there is a few places out there that you can transfer money with have used hifx in past,also use tranzfers now and again to my australian bank account and i see money corp is advertised on here,im sure there are many more.

But wanted to know who is the best out there who offers you best exchange for your money,who offers fees and no fees and who also offers no min transfer amounts,im sure i used to use hifx but they had a min transfer amount so stopped them,tranzfers i use for now but wanted to know what are my options and one you would recommend.

I am just looking to pay money into a bank account over in oz for an agent for my wifes visa application as using a card has a fee to that agent.

Then i would like to know who is best for say high amount for the likes when your moving to oz and looking to move larger amounts and get the best

Hey maybe you guys can help me get an ipad 2 use my link below to get me some points when you make a transfer,i need 10 points,i might be able to do the same back to someone soon as doing one myself.

http://www.tranzfers.com/Referral/bwatt99

Pollyana Dec 27th 2011 12:02 pm

Re: money exchange

Originally Posted by brian.w (Post 9807591)
i know there is a few places out there that you can transfer money with have used hifx in past,also use tranzfers now and again to my australian bank account and i see money corp is advertised on here,im sure there are many more.

But wanted to know who is the best out there who offers you best exchange for your money,who offers fees and no fees and who also offers no min transfer amounts,im sure i used to use hifx but they had a min transfer amount so stopped them,tranzfers i use for now but wanted to know what are my options and one you would recommend.

I am just looking to pay money into a bank account over in oz for an agent for my wifes visa application as using a card has a fee to that agent.

Then i would like to know who is best for say high amount for the likes when your moving to oz and looking to move larger amounts and get the best

Hey maybe you guys can help me get an ipad 2 use my link below to get me some points when you make a transfer,i need 10 points,i might be able to do the same back to someone soon as doing one myself.

http://www.tranzfers.com/Referral/bwatt99

Why should I help you get one when I've been using them for years already :D
Seriously, I've been using Tranzfers for nearly 12 years in both directions and wouldn't swap to anyone else. They are quick, cheap, and have fab customer service.
If you want to move a large amount (eg a house sale) then go for www.ozforex.com.au which is just another branch of tranzfers :)

comet555 Dec 28th 2011 4:28 am

I second what Pollyana said. I've never used Tranzfers but have used Ozforex many times. If I remember correctly the minimum amount was $5000 for Ozforex and the only fee I was every charged was $15 if it was a smaller transfer. Mostly though we had no-fees as we were transferring larger amounts. The rates were good though so I never had an issue with a small fee.
http://www.ozforex.com.au/our-services/transfer-money
http://www.ozforex.com.au/why-us/fees

What sort of fee is the agent charging you for using your credit card? If it's only 1-2% you're looking at less than $100 to use your own credit card (guessing at your agents fees here). The big difference though would be the exchange rate and I would wager that Ozforex would do a lot better than your credit card company. Plus, if you've already got an Australian bank account then it does make sense to do it your way and use Tranzfers or Ozforex (or other) to get a better rate and then pay directly from your bank account.

Anyway, if you use the search function you'll see this question comes up all the time. Tranzfers and Ozforex seem to come a lot.

Good luck with the visa. Nice to see you're taking a step forward!

harrip Dec 28th 2011 5:23 am

for smaller value exchange transitions, an account with XE.com is worth considering. No fee other than what's built in to the exchange rate and still cheaper than banks.

For larger amounts, I use Ozforex.com.au - slightly better rate and negotiable on fees/rates if your a frequent trader.

bcworld Dec 28th 2011 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9807608)
Why should I help you get one when I've been using them for years already :D
Seriously, I've been using Tranzfers for nearly 12 years in both directions and wouldn't swap to anyone else. They are quick, cheap, and have fab customer service.
If you want to move a large amount (eg a house sale) then go for www.ozforex.com.au which is just another branch of tranzfers :)

...and they send out nice presents!!

Very generous this year! :D :thumbsup:

Pollyana Dec 28th 2011 7:24 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9808504)
...and they send out nice presents!!

Very generous this year! :D :thumbsup:

I agree, very nice :) and I got a good exchange rate off them this week too :thumbup:

brian.w Dec 28th 2011 12:38 pm

is there many places that say offer you to open an account without having to send bills etc for id?i was looking and was going to go for tranzfers today and they have quoted me for $1100 £728 and a £7 so in total £735.
If i had plenty of time i would shop around and get some other accounts opened up or shop around but i really hope to get this payment made today as will be going away for a few weeks and need this done before going.

The agent i use states on the contract that there is a fee or is there??

it has credit card

and under it it says the safest way pay by credit card is by filling out the attached form and faxing etc

and says when using a visa or mastercard to pay a 3% surcharge applies,but this is maybe for credit cards??

What about debit cards?will this get a 3% charge also it has the visa logo on it but its not a credit card,i am just wondering if useing my debit card to pay this would be a beter option and cheaper option than using the tranzfers by bank transfer.

whats your thoughts please,would be good to save a little on some fees.

Pollyana Dec 28th 2011 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by brian.w (Post 9808803)
is there many places that say offer you to open an account without having to send bills etc for id?i was looking and was going to go for tranzfers today and they have quoted me for $1100 £728 and a £7 so in total £735.
If i had plenty of time i would shop around and get some other accounts opened up or shop around but i really hope to get this payment made today as will be going away for a few weeks and need this done before going.

it has credit card

and under it it says the safest way pay by credit card is by filling out the attached form and faxing etc

and says when using a visa or mastercard to pay a 3% surcharge applies,but this is maybe for credit cards??

What about debit cards?will this get a 3% charge also it has the visa logo on it but its not a credit card,i am just wondering if useing my debit card to pay this would be a beter option and cheaper option than using the tranzfers by bank transfer.

I really don't follow much of your post.
All I can say is you transfer money into Tranzfers online from your bank account, the deal will cost you £7 and take 3-4 days.

bcworld Dec 28th 2011 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by brian.w (Post 9808803)

it has credit card

:confused:

I have no idea what you're talking about!

Are you asking if you should just use your credit card, instead of transferring money...presumably for a planned trip to Aus?

brian.w Dec 28th 2011 1:05 pm

no looking to make a payment to an agent for help on a visa says there is a 3% fee for credit cards used to pay,but i wonder if this is same for debit card which has visa on it?

I just looked at my bank international rate but is only an approx and its even worse than tranzfers offer,so maybe i should just stick with them and maybe next time i make a transfer find a better exchange rate etc.

I cant remember how i paid for my visa etc when i applied if by transfer or by giving my card details,its the 3% thats putting me off and maybe the bank i have is not as good as tranzfers offer

quoll Dec 28th 2011 2:52 pm

Just sent spending money from Aus to UK and was over £50 better off sending via tranzsfer than via my bank - this was a fee free effort as well so saving myself $25 into the bargain. I should have got one of you to refer me I see, then you might have got the points - sorry about that!

brian.w Dec 28th 2011 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 9808932)
Just sent spending money from Aus to UK and was over £50 better off sending via tranzsfer than via my bank - this was a fee free effort as well so saving myself $25 into the bargain. I should have got one of you to refer me I see, then you might have got the points - sorry about that!

no worries i used them myself today also not sure what i would have saved or what the difference would have been vs the 3% charge for using a card or what the banks exchange rate was,but im sure in the end tranzfers was the right choice,and i was already a member anyway and have used a few times.

I just thought in asking others to refer under my link to help in getting point and i caqn do the same in return but nobody took me up on it,but i will be doing more transfers when the application for visa is more complete,and its no harm in others using it to use it as we all get something out of it.

Pollyana Dec 28th 2011 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by brian.w (Post 9809167)
no worries i used them myself today also not sure what i would have saved or what the difference would have been vs the 3% charge for using a card or what the banks exchange rate was,but im sure in the end tranzfers was the right choice,and i was already a member anyway and have used a few times.

I just thought in asking others to refer under my link to help in getting point and i caqn do the same in return but nobody took me up on it,but i will be doing more transfers when the application for visa is more complete,and its no harm in others using it to use it as we all get something out of it.

Good luck with that, I've been recommending them to people on here for nearly 10 years and only had 2 people in that whole time mention me as a referrer!

renth Dec 29th 2011 2:19 am

Ozforex for me too.

Sent some over again this last week. Good rate, had to call up about something, very helpful.