Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

money - anybody been much worse off in oz?

money - anybody been much worse off in oz?

Old Aug 15th 2005, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

jemma1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default money - anybody been much worse off in oz?

Just wondering how people have faired generally and whether anybody has found themselves far worse off in Oz than they were in the UK?

My husband and I are both teachers, currently at the top of the payscale and so we will be giving up nice salaries, as well as the security of of our own home. We will probably be coming over with somewhere between £40-£45K, so want have a great deal of capital. We're expecting to be skint for the first couple of years - we have two pre-school kids so I will probably have to saty at thome rather than work initially - but will things get better for us eventually??

Cheers,
Jemma
Old Aug 15th 2005, 5:39 pm
BLC

Default Re: money - anybody been much worse off in oz?

Originally Posted by jemma1973
Just wondering how people have faired generally and whether anybody has found themselves far worse off in Oz than they were in the UK?

My husband and I are both teachers, currently at the top of the payscale and so we will be giving up nice salaries, as well as the security of of our own home. We will probably be coming over with somewhere between £40-£45K, so want have a great deal of capital. We're expecting to be skint for the first couple of years - we have two pre-school kids so I will probably have to saty at thome rather than work initially - but will things get better for us eventually??

Cheers,
Jemma
We were marginally better off in Oz, but no kiddies which meant we didn't have the education/medical bit to look after plus a number of years building up our financial stability.

We have been back in the UK less than 2 years, still struggling to get on our feet financially as moving takes a fair chunk of your money, even if you are just moving with a few boxes.

There always seems to be extra's to pay out for moving.

Good luck
B

Old Aug 15th 2005, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

If you have the time, read this (rather long) thread on the NZ forum: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317776 .

There are a couple of people there who now appear to feel they are trapped in NZ due to the way circumstances evolved. Of course this can happen anywhere, but a big move between countries does perhaps increase the risk of it.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 8:56 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

We were definitely worse off in Oz, mainly due to the fact though that I couldn't get any work. Hubbys wages were poor compared to the UK but I don't know what a teachers salary would be in OZ?

We (IMO) we financially worse off and felt that the cost of living was hardly any different to the UK but the wages were a lot lower compared to the cost of living. We were in Perth.

We are far better off now in the UK, even more so now we are back. I always think things happen for a reason, had we not left the UK hubby would probably be still in his same old job. Now he is in management, I work in the public sector and can afford to cut down to 3 days a week when our other baby is born.

We did go to Perth in 2003 and stayed 16 months, so maybe the wages have gone up now and there are lots more jobs available, I dont know?