money

Old Nov 20th 2009, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

briggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default money

Hi we are moving to adelaide in feb 2010. I was wondering just how much money we should take?

Thank you
Old Nov 20th 2009, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: money

Originally Posted by briggs
Hi we are moving to adelaide in feb 2010. I was wondering just how much money we should take?

Thank you
Enough for a few drinks at the airport/s on route and taxi fee to hotel?
Would help if you expanded on what exactly you want to know. As no idea what you intend on doing in Aus
Old Nov 20th 2009, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Enough for a few drinks at the airport/s on route and taxi fee to hotel?
Would help if you expanded on what exactly you want to know. As no idea what you intend on doing in Aus
LMAO....

I'd say if it was me it would depend on the exchange rate, if its very favourable (hahaha) then i'd take more than if it's not favourable ?

It depends how your situation is as AB pointed out, are you renting a holiday place? How much are you paying upfront? I'd allow at least your normal 4 week budget of money transfered to Ozzie dollars to take with you
Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

How much can you afford to take?
There are many variables, ie how many of you are there, will you have jobs to start or will you be looking for work once you arrive etc etc
If you don't have work, I would bring enough to support yourselves for 6 months.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 11:43 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Thank you
If your moving here for good, I'd probably bring it all.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough

Thank you
The more the better
Old Nov 21st 2009, 2:35 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

probably around $60,000 if you need to be getting a car, pay-tv (for kids tv), phone line, broadband package, life insurance, private healthcare, nice rental in a nice area etc... without the pressure of being desperate to find work!

We used the on arrival accommodation to save money, I got a job after the first month (but on way less than I was hoping!), we bought a 6 year old car (ford falcon) for $8000 (plus a big wack of stamp duty and rego on top). We also had a few days out with the kids to help us settle in (which can be costly). By the time we had settled into our long term rental (after 3 months), we had gone through $40,000. We tried to be conservative in spending without being too stingy.

If you can manage more than $60k, then great. If you've got less then try to bring as much as possible and cut out some of the nicer things in life when you get here!
Old Nov 21st 2009, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

I managed with 3000 gbp and got a job house etc after 6 weeks until then I stayed at my aunties empty house so still had to buy food etc.

I got by with 2 kids, admittedly signed on to newstart on arrival so had around $800/fn coming in as well - but out of my 3000 quid i had to pay quarantine fees for the dog ($800) plus the $600 customs fees for my furniture.