money

Old Jan 17th 2007, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

brad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to all
Smile money

Hi everyone
Just sold house in UK but not moving to Australia till June 2007.Any ideas what to do with the proceeds i.e leave it in a bank here or get it exchanged and put it into a australian account.Would there be any tax implications.
Thanks for any replies
Old Jan 17th 2007, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: money

Hi there, not sure about the tax side of things but you could open an Oz bank account and keep you eye on the rate, if it looks good transfer it then. Good luck.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 5:31 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brad
Hi everyone
Just sold house in UK but not moving to Australia till June 2007.Any ideas what to do with the proceeds i.e leave it in a bank here or get it exchanged and put it into a australian account.Would there be any tax implications.
Thanks for any replies
Thats bloody simple!

Give it to us!!

Old Jan 17th 2007, 5:42 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Hi everyone
Thanks for any replies
Totally up to you brad. Sales from houses arent taxed on capital growth on your main residence, so moving it to OZ whenever is up to you. You could do it now and get a higher rate in Aus than the UK banks, but then theres the chance of the exchange rate changing so maybe leaving it is the best...... Personally I think the UK Interest rate rises are going to make the AU$ weaker as the UK has put up them up just recently and looks likly to do again ....... but thats just my opinion.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

Hi everyone
Thanks for any replies
Hi, we put our money in the ING and was making £400 interest a month which over 6 months has been great. Put it wherever you get the best rate and keep your eye on the exchange rate.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

brad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to all

Originally Posted by paulhill
Hi, we put our money in the ING and was making £400 interest a month which over 6 months has been great. Put it wherever you get the best rate and keep your eye on the exchange rate.
HI what I mean is do I pay tax at non residence rates or pay tax when I move to Australia on the interest while its sitting in a Australian bank
Old Jan 20th 2007, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

HI what I mean is do I pay tax at non residence rates or pay tax when I move to Australia on the interest while its sitting in a Australian bank
Yes, tax paid at non-resident rate if cash is in Oz and you are not considered a resident for tax purposes.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

fastrhino will become famous soon enough

i was led to believe you can claim back any tax paid on interst earned in Oz once you give them your tax file number on arrival
Old Jan 20th 2007, 7:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Yes, tax paid at non-resident rate if cash is in Oz and you are not considered a resident for tax purposes.
But if you are UK tax resident it may be taxable in the UK as well with a credit for Australian tax
Old Jan 21st 2007, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
But if you are UK tax resident it may be taxable in the UK as well with a credit for Australian tax
Yep - as always, I didn't give the whole story....
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - as always, I didn't give the whole story....
so what is the straight forward answer - move it over or keep in the UK???
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
so what is the straight forward answer - move it over or keep in the UK???
The answer is probably "each to their own". You need to compare taxes, interest rates, access to money and the exchange rate. Difficult one.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

The answer is probably "each to their own". You need to compare taxes, interest rates, access to money and the exchange rate. Difficult one.
okey dokey - thankyou.

I work for a bank so may give 'Foreign' a ring to see what they advise. Best starting now for when the house sale goes through. We are similar to the OP thats why so interested. Will post Foreign dept response on when I get one. x