money

Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough
Default money

Hi everyone
Could anyone tell us how much money you have to go with.
We do not have much money being a family of 4, Would around 10.000 pound be ok to start with. This is very scary for us but it will work out we hope, family think we are mad to go and live in oz.Do you think we should take any house old items with us or bay out there .hubby born out there so we do not think that is a problem.
Thank you
ann marie paul callum and shannon
PS my daughter says she is going to like australia
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:15 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Hi there,

It depends really....do you have jobs to go to? Do you have relatives to help out? If not, and you are looking for work, then £10,000 doesn't go too far. We have been in NZ for 4 weeks and have got through £7000 now and we have no furniture yet - although we did buy a good car and not just something cheap...hence £4400 of that amount is for the car and insurance etc. However, when money is going out and none's coming it, it goes a lot quicker. If you are shrewd and the kids don't mind having only a little for Christmas until you are sorted with an income, then you should be able to stretch, but it's not a massive amount to keep 4 of you if there's no money coming in, so you'd have a lot of pressure and stress to deal with whilst trying to sort everything out. Even with a reasonable amount of money behind you, the stresses of a new life will be there. At the end of the day, it is better to come to a job/house/car than it is to try and start from scratch as this will lessen the impact of emigration.

good luck, Rich.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Tazzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: money

Originally posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
Hi everyone
Could anyone tell us how much money you have to go with.
We do not have much money being a family of 4, Would around 10.000 pound be ok to start with. This is very scary for us but it will work out we hope, family think we are mad to go and live in oz.Do you think we should take any house old items with us or bay out there .hubby born out there so we do not think that is a problem.
Thank you
ann marie paul callum and shannon
PS my daughter says she is going to like australia

I think you need to add a little more information for people to be able to answer you.
£10,000 will get you accomodation for a family of 4, food, a car to get around in for 6 months or so. Do you intend to find a house to buy straight away, as you'll have to think of down payment money, solicitors etc.
Tazzy
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

you see ?
this is what happens when you let the wife loose on the web
Ok, we have a limited budget available, we plan on renting in acacia ridge, from what we've heard it's a fairly industrialised area which to be honest is what we have now so the nieghbours should have our sense of humour lol.
Also, seems to be plenty of schools in the area, the public transport looks good, which could play an important role job-hunting / working.
Whenever we search for rental properties " acacia ridge " always pops up, this may not be a good thing but at least if we rent then we have the opportunity to move elsewhere once we have a feel for the area.The other factor in " the ridge " is the cost, as i said above we have a limited budget so any cash saving advice is always appreciated.
As mentioned ( job-hunting ) have no job lined up, planned to search the aussie yellow pages and contact pretty much all of the businesses throughout brisbane that do data comms installation work ( stupid bloody job titles ) to see if they would be interested in my services.
Property & job rank first among an ever growing list.
My wife was asking ( in her own special in not rather dippy way lol ) has anyone else travelled to aus on a shoestring budget ?and if so how much did it cost them, we will have money available but every pound we spend here is 2 and a half dollars less we spend in aus.
Once the house is sold we will get a little extra cash but are not expecting the sale to go through until after our arrival in aus.

Now , the football is back on the tele and i'm missing it ( cursing the wife very quietly so she doesn't hear me )

Thanks again.
Paul
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:45 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi Paul&Ann-Marie,

I think I'll be in a similar situation to yourselves if we ever get to go. It feels that way at the moment.

I'm looking forward to the answers you get.

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 5th 2003, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Has NOBODY gone to aus on a shoestring budget ?????:scared:

Paul
Old Nov 5th 2003, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paul,
we are going with a bit more money as a result of selling the house at this time. We are taking most of our stuff with us as this seems to be the general advice on various forums.

Good luck with it all

Claire
Old Nov 5th 2003, 8:33 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
Has NOBODY gone to aus on a shoestring budget ?????:scared:

Paul
I have. I don't recommend it, as it gets pretty stressful, and it's stressful enough moving halfway around the world, even if you've lived here before. I'd better give you some personal details, to back up this statement.

I came out to Sydney with a job offer in my pocket, but it took 6 weeks to sort out the visa and get the first paycheque under my belt. We brought a lot less than 10K GBP with us, and had to make every cent do the work of two. It was 6 months before we bought a car, for example, using public transport to get around, and doing 'mini-shops' so we could carry the groceries back home on the bus. Fortunately my wife is brilliant, and where a lot of women would have told me to shove it, she just got stuck in and did whatever was necessary to get us through it.

She spent 3 months sitting on an exercise mat, or the mattress (we bought mattress, washing machine and fridge/freezer when we got here,) while I was out at work, as we waited those three months for our stuff to arrive. Her company while I was at work each day was a radio that we bought here. So, how many women reading this thread would have put up with a husband who put them through that, 2 years after getting married? Not many!!!

Now, 15 months after we got here, we've got a car, are living in a proper house, rather than the poxy unit we rented for a year, and are building our own house (to our own design) on 116 acres, out in the Blue Mountains. She's earned her stripes, and I'll do whatever it takes to give her what she wants in life.

So, Paul, if your wife and kids will stand behind you and back you up come hell or high water, then you go for it. If she won't, or the kids are whingers, then forget it. I originally came out here as a kid, aged 10, with a 'ten pound pom' family unit. We had to struggle then, too, as my dad didn't find a job for a year. Eventually things worked out, and we had a very good lifestyle in Australia, travelling all over during our 7 years here. When my parents decided to travel outside Oz, my sister and I didn't want to go, but had to. Now I'm back, my company are sorting out my PR, and my wife and I'll take Oz citizenship as soon as we're able - this is home.

Don't look at the money side of things - instead look at the invisible things you're bringing - guts and determination. If you and your family have got those, the money is small stuff, and you'll make it, no matter what.

Good luck.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom
I have. I don't recommend it, as it gets pretty stressful, and it's stressful enough moving halfway around the world, even if you've lived here before. I'd better give you some personal details, to back up this statement.

I came out to Sydney with a job offer in my pocket, but it took 6 weeks to sort out the visa and get the first paycheque under my belt. We brought a lot less than 10K GBP with us, and had to make every cent do the work of two. It was 6 months before we bought a car, for example, using public transport to get around, and doing 'mini-shops' so we could carry the groceries back home on the bus. Fortunately my wife is brilliant, and where a lot of women would have told me to shove it, she just got stuck in and did whatever was necessary to get us through it.

She spent 3 months sitting on an exercise mat, or the mattress (we bought mattress, washing machine and fridge/freezer when we got here,) while I was out at work, as we waited those three months for our stuff to arrive. Her company while I was at work each day was a radio that we bought here. So, how many women reading this thread would have put up with a husband who put them through that, 2 years after getting married? Not many!!!

Now, 15 months after we got here, we've got a car, are living in a proper house, rather than the poxy unit we rented for a year, and are building our own house (to our own design) on 116 acres, out in the Blue Mountains. She's earned her stripes, and I'll do whatever it takes to give her what she wants in life.

So, Paul, if your wife and kids will stand behind you and back you up come hell or high water, then you go for it. If she won't, or the kids are whingers, then forget it. I originally came out here as a kid, aged 10, with a 'ten pound pom' family unit. We had to struggle then, too, as my dad didn't find a job for a year. Eventually things worked out, and we had a very good lifestyle in Australia, travelling all over during our 7 years here. When my parents decided to travel outside Oz, my sister and I didn't want to go, but had to. Now I'm back, my company are sorting out my PR, and my wife and I'll take Oz citizenship as soon as we're able - this is home.

Don't look at the money side of things - instead look at the invisible things you're bringing - guts and determination. If you and your family have got those, the money is small stuff, and you'll make it, no matter what.

Good luck.
I love your story DUP - it's pretty inspirational. Just shows that you don't need to rely on money to succeed - in a way money makes you lazy. You used human determination, which costs nothing, to make it work. And of course behind every man is a good woman

We use public transport (or pedal power) to commute and do mini shops - walk to the local supermarket rather than drive - it's a way of life that I like (even tho we have a car). Just putting in the effort to do things the not-so-convenient way makes life more pleasurable.

P&A - just want to wish you luck in your venture. Family support is easily worth as much as financial support. I hope everything works out for you and the kids.

HP
Old Nov 5th 2003, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks downunder,that's a great post.
Guts and determination we have, i was born there so there shouldn't be any problem for myself and the kids,just need a visa for the missus.
lots of plans and a real desire to succeed in them all.
We are under no illusions it will be hard work and stressful but believe we can stick it out and come out the other side.
We are hoping to have a total of about 14,000 pounds give or take 2,000 and were not sure how far this would get us.
All we need is enough to get our feet in the door and the rest will fall into place.
Once we go there'll be no turning back as we will have absolutely no assets left in the uk, which is why this is so daunting.

If we can get by the first couple of months without eating too heavily into the funds we just know we'll be ok, know it in our hearts.

Thanks for your post, you haven't put us off in anyway, my wife is a rock for me and wants the move as much as i do.The very fact you are still there and doing well is an inspiration.

Claire,
Good luck with your move, we are considering taking some things, it would depend on how much it costs for how much space as to how much we take with us.
Need to investigate shipping costs and get a few quotes before deciding what to take.

Thanks for your posts
Paul & Ann-Marie