Money

Old Oct 26th 2003, 11:51 am
Just Joined

LissyP is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Money

Hi

I know I'm asking some really dull questions today, but does anyone know if there is limit on the amount of cash you can take with you to Aus.

I don't mean huge wads of money but for example could you take £1,000 with you in cash - so we have money for rental etc until bank account is activated.

Perhaps travellers cheques would be safer - can they be cashed easily any day of the week?

I'll try and come up with something more exciting for the next question.

Cheers
Lis
Old Oct 26th 2003, 11:59 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Money

Originally posted by LissyP
Hi

I know I'm asking some really dull questions today, but does anyone know if there is limit on the amount of cash you can take with you to Aus.

I don't mean huge wads of money but for example could you take £1,000 with you in cash - so we have money for rental etc until bank account is activated.

Perhaps travellers cheques would be safer - can they be cashed easily any day of the week?

Cheers
Lis
Hi Lissy

We took $2500 in cash each on the plane (money belts!) to tide us over. No-one asked us any questions. Wanted to avoid the charges on changing cash to traveller's cheques each way.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Cheers
Lis
Ask all you want Lis - we're here to help!
Larissa
I'd like to know the answer to your question for our own benefit too! You might not get many responses until the end of the weekend as the forum is quieter till then.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 12:20 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

If you are worried about carrying large sums of cash use your UK credit card - having organised a standing order to pay the bill each month and this is acceptable everywhere.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 3:59 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi LissyP,

You can take what you like, but have to declare it to custons if over @ $10,000. This is in case you were money laundering.
I think moving to Oz permanantly is a good reasomn for having money on you.

Credit cards are good, as is setting up a bank account in Oz from the UK and transfering funds before you leave the UK.

Hope this helps.
It's only what I've read from different threads over time.

Bye
Markeh
Old Oct 26th 2003, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I believe you can take how ever much you like up to a year after you emigrate, if any later then you may be liable to tax on it.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

gbarker is an unknown quantity at this point

Keeping a UK credit card is a good idea - but keep an eye on the rate you get when the money is converted back to GBp. I've just booked some accommodation over the internet using my card, and the exchange rate conversion came out at 2.33 dollars to the pound, whereas the current rate for transactions using someone like XE.Com is currently at 2.41
Old Oct 26th 2003, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Tina
do you know if that one year rule applies if you are validating? We are not intending to migrate straight away and I don't want to end up paying a lot of tax.

By the way - have you heard from Polly?

Debs
Old Oct 26th 2003, 4:41 pm
WBB

Originally posted by debsy
Tina
do you know if that one year rule applies if you are validating? We are not intending to migrate straight away and I don't want to end up paying a lot of tax.

By the way - have you heard from Polly?

Debs

good question, would be interested to hear an answer as to when your year starts.

Old Oct 26th 2003, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by welshboybilly
good question, would be interested to hear an answer as to when your year starts.
Not sure! but I would imagine it would start from when you permanently leave otherwise it wouldn't make sense would It?

Polly is still in Italy so she doesn't have internet access at the moment. She comes back later this week before her big move on Friday.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 5:18 pm
WBB

Originally posted by tinaj
Not sure! but I would imagine it would start from when you permanently leave otherwise it wouldn't make sense would It?

you are probably right but this is something i will have to check on.

imagine there are problems with the sale of your house and you went over the 12 months, i think they tax you at 48%.

Old Oct 26th 2003, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by yafm
If you are worried about carrying large sums of cash use your UK credit card - having organised a standing order to pay the bill each month and this is acceptable everywhere.
We carried over a £1000 in NZ cash when we came to NZ. we also use our credit card regularly, you must remember to tell your credit card company you are going abroad so they don't stop your card when they see a change in spending pattern. If that happened you would have to ring them in UK from abroad. We pay our credit card off monthly over the internet.

Just another thought, don't forget to inform the inland revenue you are coming away for the forseeable future, we were pleasently surprised by the size of the tax rebate we got.

Rob

Last edited by Gill and Rob; Oct 26th 2003 at 9:52 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 10:52 pm
Tyke and now an Aussie

NoodleSYD is an unknown quantity at this point

You can bring in as much cash as you like, but if it's over AU$10,000 you MUST declare it.

This is the Austrac (money laundering) reporting threshold.

If you go over it is liable to be forfeited and you will be investigated.

Check out the Australian Customs website (http//:www.customs.gov.au) - this is the relevant line:

"You can take out or bring in to Australia as much cash as you want, but you must report amounts of $10,000 Australian or more in notes or coins or the equivalent in foreign currency or a combination of currencies.

This also applies if you are mailing or shipping currency in or out of Australia.

It is not necessary to report that you are carrying bank drafts, credit cards, travellers’ cheques or any other form of negotiable instrument."

Hi

Cheers
Lis
"You can take out or bring in to Australia as much cash as you want, but you must report amounts of $10,000 Australian or more in notes or coins or the equivalent in foreign currency or a combination of currencies.

This also applies if you are mailing or shipping currency in or out of Australia.

It is not necessary to report that you are carrying bank drafts, credit cards, travellers’ cheques or any other form of negotiable instrument."
Old Oct 27th 2003, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by tinaj

Polly is still in Italy so she doesn't have internet access at the moment. She comes back later this week before her big move on Friday.
Thanks Tina.

Looking forward to hearing Polly's adventures.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 7:01 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by gbarker
Keeping a UK credit card is a good idea - but keep an eye on the rate you get when the money is converted back to GBp. I've just booked some accommodation over the internet using my card, and the exchange rate conversion came out at 2.33 dollars to the pound, whereas the current rate for transactions using someone like XE.Com is currently at 2.41

On our travels two years ago we asked all the credit card companies whether they charged for the transfer back into sterling and Nationwide didn't so we always use them when abroad and never paid a transfer fee and their rate of exchnage has been good :lecture:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.