Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

mondeo lifestyle!!""**!!

mondeo lifestyle!!""**!!

Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:44 pm
patrickgoldsmith

patrickgoldsmith is on a distinguished road
Default mondeo lifestyle!!""**!!

Hey i have always said the ford mondeo lifestyle was o.k by me, by that i mean average car/ house 3-4 weeks hols a year, few quid tucked away, pension sorted, bills paid, go to gym twice a week, pub three times to make up for gym, decent clothes and ability to palm a bit the kids way to keep them quiet (give them a start).
How much would i need to earn in aus to maintain this modest lifestyle and do aussie employers come up with the goods?
Old Mar 28th 2005, 9:23 pm
patrickgoldsmith

Default Re: mondeo lifestyle!!""**!!

Originally Posted by patrickgoldsmith
Hey i have always said the ford mondeo lifestyle was o.k by me, by that i mean average car/ house 3-4 weeks hols a year, few quid tucked away, pension sorted, bills paid, go to gym twice a week, pub three times to make up for gym, decent clothes and ability to palm a bit the kids way to keep them quiet (give them a start).
How much would i need to earn in aus to maintain this modest lifestyle and do aussie employers come up with the goods?
Aw come on guys answer this thread even an opinion is o.k i think its one of the most important factors i know i,m always bangin on about money but once i get a general idea of the financial parameters i will be mr entertainment i swear!!! :scared:
Old Mar 28th 2005, 9:47 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Aw come on guys answer this thread even an opinion is o.k i think its one of the most important factors i know i,m always bangin on about money but once i get a general idea of the financial parameters i will be mr entertainment i swear!!!
hi Patrick

Firstly, it's only 8.30am here in Aus so give us a chance to answer m8

Secondly, this is not as straight fwd as it seems as there are many varibles that determine how much you will need to earn to be able to afford the lifestyle you describe in Aus. For instance are you cash rich? [therefore not going to have a high mortgage in Aus ergo you don't need to earn much]....and another factor is where do you want to live [house prices differ depending which city and where] and how many kids do you have etc, etc,etc. So as you can see...it's not as simple an equasion

You might get an idea from other threads posted on here. Look it up on the search thread at the top of this page

Another thing to remember; Aus in the main is very different to UK in terms of employment for example unemployment on the surface seems very low in Aus however there are lots of temp or contract work and it's not that uncommon to work like this for years and years here so stability within the workforce / working environment is probably less than in UK ...also on temp or contract work there is normally no sick pay, no holiday pay. The up side is that normally people on temp or contract are paid a slightly inflated hourly rate to compensate for no holidays/ no sick although you need to bear in mind the salaries are usually less than what you'd earn in UK.....in other words manage your expectations

As for lifestyle; Don't want to put you off as generally speaking day-2-day living IMHO seems to be better here than in UK even though swings and roundabouts re costs i.e some things more expensive / some less....however the "extra" things we take for granted in UK are what hike up the cost of living here e.g. Pensions, Holidays, Sick leave, Savings etc

In a nutshell, lots to take into consideration and everyone has a different view of the costs and all these views are relevant, no right, no wrong answer. As mentioned, take a look at the search and maybe key in "cost of living in Aus" and see what comes up.

Good luck

Old Mar 28th 2005, 9:56 pm
ABCDiamond

How much would you need ? a good question.

I think that it depends on how much of a mortgage you will have. With no mortgage, $50k per year (gross) could give you that, but - how many kids do you have ?

Aussie employers are the same as most employers worldwide, they would prefer to employ people for the least wages, and the most hours. I know some shocking employers, but I've also known some really good ones.

On the Pension side of things, the employer has to pay 9% extra into a "super fund" for you, so depending on how many years you will work, and how the funds perform against inflation etc, may, or may not, have the pension sorted.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:37 pm
patrickgoldsmith

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
hi Patrick

Firstly, it's only 8.30am here in Aus so give us a chance to answer m8

Secondly, this is not as straight fwd as it seems as there are many varibles that determine how much you will need to earn to be able to afford the lifestyle you describe in Aus. For instance are you cash rich? [therefore not going to have a high mortgage in Aus ergo you don't need to earn much]....and another factor is where do you want to live [house prices differ depending which city and where] and how many kids do you have etc, etc,etc. So as you can see...it's not as simple an equasion

You might get an idea from other threads posted on here. Look it up on the search thread at the top of this page

Another thing to remember; Aus in the main is very different to UK in terms of employment for example unemployment on the surface seems very low in Aus however there are lots of temp or contract work and it's not that uncommon to work like this for years and years here so stability within the workforce / working environment is probably less than in UK ...also on temp or contract work there is normally no sick pay, no holiday pay. The up side is that normally people on temp or contract are paid a slightly inflated hourly rate to compensate for no holidays/ no sick although you need to bear in mind the salaries are usually less than what you'd earn in UK.....in other words manage your expectations

As for lifestyle; Don't want to put you off as generally speaking day-2-day living IMHO seems to be better here than in UK even though swings and roundabouts re costs i.e some things more expensive / some less....however the "extra" things we take for granted in UK are what hike up the cost of living here e.g. Pensions, Holidays, Sick leave, Savings etc

In a nutshell, lots to take into consideration and everyone has a different view of the costs and all these views are relevant, no right, no wrong answer. As mentioned, take a look at the search and maybe key in "cost of living in Aus" and see what comes up.

Good luck
Thank you phoenix
patrick
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:38 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Thank you phoenix
patrick
No worries

Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:38 pm
patrickgoldsmith

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
How much would you need ? a good question.

I think that it depends on how much of a mortgage you will have. With no mortgage, $50k per year (gross) could give you that, but - how many kids do you have ?

Aussie employers are the same as most employers worldwide, they would prefer to employ people for the least wages, and the most hours. I know some shocking employers, but I've also known some really good ones.

On the Pension side of things, the employer has to pay 9% extra into a "super fund" for you, so depending on how many years you will work, and how the funds perform against inflation etc, may, or may not, have the pension sorted.
Thanks abc i am honoured!!
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:39 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Aw come on guys answer this thread even an opinion is o.k i think its one of the most important factors i know i,m always bangin on about money but once i get a general idea of the financial parameters i will be mr entertainment i swear!!! :scared:
Pointed this out before:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281051
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:40 pm
patrickgoldsmith

Thanks abc i am honoured!!
i have three kids and would need to mortgage around $120k if all goes to plan
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:44 pm
patrickgoldsmith

Originally Posted by Megalania
Sorry megalania i have downloaded but just not had all the info i need to fill in
i do appreciate your help i suppose i am just trying to find out if i canexpect to earn what i need
thanks again
Patrick
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:10 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

You may find yourslef taking a couple of weeks a year holiday to save the time up for a longer overseas holiday. Decent clothes cost here and pubs are not that great. Basically you cannot plonk your British lifestyle in here and expect it to work. It would be boring if it did.

What you do instead is up to you.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:22 pm
patrickgoldsmith

Originally Posted by bondipom
You may find yourslef taking a couple of weeks a year holiday to save the time up for a longer overseas holiday. Decent clothes cost here and pubs are not that great. Basically you cannot plonk your British lifestyle in here and expect it to work. It would be boring if it did.

What you do instead is up to you.
That is not what i want i would not go if i thought it was the same just tryin to findan equivilent financial model what i call themondeo lifestyle basically just means average finaces which are a necessary springboard to be able to relax and have hobbies and interests and basically live i may have given the impression i am a pub loafer but i am not i like a night out once or twice a month but can easily find other ways to enjoy myself
Patrick
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:33 pm
ABCDiamond

i have three kids and would need to mortgage around $120k if all goes to plan
I'm not sure what the cost factor for the extra kids would be

But with a $120k mortgage (about $1,000pm repayments) and 1 child, I would want around $60k per year (gross) to live a "Mondeo Lifestyle", but that does include private schooling.

Actually I wonder if having kids does increase your expenditure or not. When we became parents, our restaurant bills and holiday costs decreased substantially. Maybe that's why we get by OK on less than half our old income But when the little one gets older !!! I'll send her out to work when she's 15

Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:33 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

That is not what i want i would not go if i thought it was the same just tryin to findan equivilent financial model what i call themondeo lifestyle basically just means average finaces which are a necessary springboard to be able to relax and have hobbies and interests and basically live i may have given the impression i am a pub loafer but i am not i like a night out once or twice a month but can easily find other ways to enjoy myself
Patrick
Here you have Commodores or Falcons dare I start another Ford vs Holden argument. A good value equivalent is a Toyota Camry which come at $27000 and IMO are a better build. As far as cost of living it depends on where you want to live and what you do.

A lot of people find themselves as BBQ loafers instead of pub loafers. For hobbies your new location may provide you with new opportunities such as diving, surfing, bush walking etc.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:14 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
your new location may provide you with new opportunities such as diving, surfing, bush walking etc.
Or running away from snakes and/or spiders, also, not forgetting the mossy itching and fly squatting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.