Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

MODL points / Community Language Points

MODL points / Community Language Points

Old Jul 31st 2001, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Magwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really nice

We hope someone out there can help :-)

MODL POINTS:
We've just received our letter back from the ACS with regards to our assessment and have been told that we are:

"suitable for migration under 2231-17 of the ASCO Code"

This means that we have 60 points, but could someone confirm whether this also means that we are eligible for the MODL (occupation in demand) points:

"For occupation in demand, but no job offer - 5 points"

We see that there is a code 2231(part) on the MODL list, does this mean that because we've been accepted for code 2231-17 that we automatically get the extra MODL points for 2231(part)?

COMMUNITY LANGUAGE POINTS:

How does one go about proving you are fluent in one of the community languages. Is the fact that you passed matriculation (end of school exams) in the language enough? Or does one need to take a fluency test? The language(s) in question is Afrikaans (Dutch).

We hope someone is able to answer our questions.

Thanks,
Myrica

Old Jul 31st 2001, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Chris000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

If your occupation is on the MODL and you have been assessed positively then as far as I am aware you will be able to claim the extra points.......unless anyone out there knows different.

Cant help with the language thing as its now something I've looked into ..sorry.

I guess with the 2231 code you'll be fast tracked.

Chris.
Old Jul 31st 2001, 11:30 am
Jaj

>
    >
    >
    >

No. You need to have had your university education at an institution where the main
mode of teaching was in that language.

>

If the above doesn't apply, you can also get the points by being accredited at NAATI
level 3 (professional translator/interpreter). http://www.naati.com.au

Jeremy

Old Aug 1st 2001, 2:40 pm
Michael Morahan

Hi all,

The extra points for having a job offer is an interesting subject. f you look at the
Australian job sites, they usually exclude people without a work visa, yet in some
cases, having a job offer in the first place might be essential to gain enough
points. This a bit of a "catch 22" situation i.e. no job offer means no visa but no
visa means no job offer. Has anyone manged to get a job offer without a visa?

Cheers

Michael Morahan [email protected]

Chris <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 2nd 2001, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Magwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really nice

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response.

Myrica

Originally posted by Chris
Hi,

If your occupation is on the MODL and you have been assessed positively then as far as I am aware you will be able to claim the extra points.......unless anyone out there knows different.

Cant help with the language thing as its now something I've looked into ..sorry.

I guess with the 2231 code you'll be fast tracked.

Chris.
Old Aug 2nd 2001, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the information.
Regards,
Myrica

Originally posted by Jaj
    >
    >
    >
    >

No. You need to have had your university education at an institution where the main
mode of teaching was in that language.

>

If the above doesn't apply, you can also get the points by being accredited at NAATI
level 3 (professional translator/interpreter). http://www.naati.com.au

Jeremy
Old Aug 2nd 2001, 12:56 pm
Jaj

I'm just wondering if the sort of situation it could be applicable in is if you were
already working in Australia on a temporary visa (maybe a 457) and had sent a
skilled PR application offshore? Could an existing Australian employer be the source
of a job offer to back up MODL points? Even if you've already got the job, in a
manner of speaking?

Jeremy

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> If your occupation is on the MODL and you have been assessed positively then as[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> far as I am aware you will be able to claim the extra points.......unless anyone[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> out there knows different.[/usenetquote2]

Old Aug 2nd 2001, 1:57 pm
Udo Nesshoever

Hi Magwired,

[usenetquote2]>>COMMUNITY LANGUAGE POINTS: How does one go about proving you are fluent in one of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>the community languages. Is the fact that you passed matriculation (end of school[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>exams) in the language enough?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

Does that mean that I do get those extrapoints as a German havin a BS in
computer science?

Cheers,
Udo
--
Homepage: http://www.nesshoever.de No mails please. Reply here.

Global Polio Awareness Campaign 2001+
More info -> http://www.2-mad.com

Old Aug 3rd 2001, 8:23 am
Markus JüNemann

Hi Udo,

that's how I understand it. Since you seem to have the German "Diplom-Informatiker"
degree this proves that you qualify for 5 extra points for Australian Community
Languages (-> German).

Markus

PS: submitted my application two days ago after I received my skills assessment from
ACS. Took ACS six weeks door to door only, though in the process they had to ask
me for the original language copies I forgot to send with the initial
application.

Udo Nesshoever wrote:
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >>COMMUNITY LANGUAGE POINTS: How does one go about proving you are fluent in one of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >>the community languages. Is the fact that you passed matriculation (end of school[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >>exams) in the language enough?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >No. You need to have had your university education at an institution where the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >main mode of teaching was in that language.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

--
Markus Jünemann Phone : +49.30.5058.1523 Networks/IT-Security Fax : +49.30.5058.1600
Pixelpark AG [email protected] Rotherstraße 8, D-10245 Berlin
http://www.pixelpark.com

Old Aug 3rd 2001, 8:49 am
Fab

as long as it is at least the equivalent of an Australian Degree (usually 3 years of
tertiary education, depends on the courses) Udo Nesshoever
[email protected]...
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >>COMMUNITY LANGUAGE POINTS: How does one go about proving you are fluent in one of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >>the community languages. Is the fact that you passed matriculation (end of school[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >>exams) in the language enough?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >No. You need to have had your university education at an institution where the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >main mode of teaching was in that language.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >