Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Modest Australia

Modest Australia

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:15 am
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Modest Australia

I was reading the Australia or pom thread that was started on here the other day and it reminded me of a subject that really annoyed me in Oz.

The constant use of the words Aussie/Australian in the media when just people would have done. For instance I recall a Gov advert warning about the dangers of the Ocean. It showed a coastline with a huge metal fence around it. The voiceover went (roughly) "thers is one way to stop Australians drowning, but its a bit extreme". Why use Australian? dont tourists go in the sea too?? Whats wrong with saying people?

That crap TV show Survivor was on at the time. The one in the UK was called Survivor, in OZ it was tagged Australain Survivor. I remember the trailers "This time is ALL Aussie!!!" and had the participents waving a big Aussie flag on the beach. Ditto for Pop Idol, was called Australian Idol.

When the politicians talk, especially John Howard count how many times he says Aussies/Australians, it seems the only way to get the populations ears to prick up is to constantly mention their nationality.

The news reports, well apart from usually running cricket/swimming/footyinsert sport here as the main agenda, they were the worst.

If one or two Aussie actors won anything at the acadamy awards, the headlines would say Aussies clear up at the acadamys etc. Yeah like 2 out of 100, an absolute whitewash mate! Talking of awards whats that Aussie TV award the Logies, Bogies whatever. An old Aussie TV presenter strutted on stage and proclaimed that " I have been all over the world and I ll tell ya, Aussie TV is the best in the world!! The audience whopped and cheered, my poor Aussie wife looked so embarressed. Come on!! Patriotism beyond the call of duty old son. Thats like me telling the world that England had the best climate in the world and that the M25 is the least congested most modern motorway in existence.

Before the usual defenders of Utopia rubbish me, what are other pom migrants impressions of this? Does it annoy you as well, or do you simply not care that the media seems as impartial about Australia as WombatIQ4point2?

Last edited by eatstatic; Feb 3rd 2005 at 9:17 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:28 am
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all
Default Re: Modest Australia

Originally Posted by eatstatic
I was reading the Australia or pom thread that was started on here the other day and it reminded me of a subject that really annoyed me in Oz.

The constant use of the words Aussie/Australian in the media when just people would have done. For instance I recall a Gov advert warning about the dangers of the Ocean. It showed a coastline with a huge metal fence around it. The voiceover went (roughly) "thers is one way to stop Australians drowning, but its a bit extreme". Why use Australian? dont tourists go in the sea too?? Whats wrong with saying people?

That crap TV show Survivor was on at the time. The one in the UK was called Survivor, in OZ it was tagged Australain Survivor. I remember the trailers "This time is ALL Aussie!!!" and had the participents waving a big Aussie flag on the beach. Ditto for Pop Idol, was called Australian Idol.

When the politicians talk, especially John Howard count how many times he says Aussies/Australians, it seems the only way to get the populations ears to prick up is to constantly mention their nationality.

The news reports, well apart from usually running cricket/swimming/footyinsert sport here as the main agenda, they were the worst.

If one or two Aussie actors won anything at the acadamy awards, the headlines would say Aussies clear up at the acadamys etc. Yeah like 2 out of 100, an absolute whitewash mate! Talking of awards whats that Aussie TV award the Logies, Bogies whatever. An old Aussie TV presenter strutted on stage and proclaimed that " I have been all over the world and I ll tell ya, Aussie TV is the best in the world!! The audience whopped and cheered, my poor Aussie wife looked so embarressed. Come on!! Patriotism beyond the call of duty old son. Thats like me telling the world that England had the best climate in the world and that the M25 is the least congested most modern motorway in existence.

Before the usual defenders of Utopia rubbish me, what are other pom migrants impressions of this? Does it annoy you as well, or do you simply not care that the media seems as impartial about Australia as WombatIQ4point2?
I know what you mean, my missus is an Aussie and on more than a few occasions when over there, we have had a bit of a laugh at some of the more patriot sentences coming from the Aussie media.

That said, I quite admire them for it, start saying that type of thing over here now, and your classed as a racist, not PC at all.

So, if it installs a bit more national pride good on 'em I say
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

[QUOTE=eatstatic]I was reading the Australia or pom thread that was started on here the other day and it reminded me of a subject that really annoyed me in Oz.

......QUOTE]

Not having been to Oz yet, I would guess that it is perhaps a mixture of two things, firstly hopefully a Nationalistic pride (perhaps something that has been lost in the UK and a reason why some people are emigrating?) in being Australian and secondly the Ozzies are seen by many as somewhat as a cross between a brit and an american in terms of personality/brashness etc.

Not really such a bad thing in my view, feeling a degree of nationalism, it is one of the many things that should bind a country together. The history of Australia and how its population has grown probably means that the country probably tries hard to have a nationalistic identity.

How many australians can trace relatives (living in Australia) back more than a few generations, probably a minority?

Just my thoughts on the subject

Alex
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:23 am
wombat42

Hey Eatshitic,
AUSSIE , AUSSIE, AUSSIE, Oi , Oi , Oi ,
AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE, Oi, Oi, Oi
AUSSIE, Oi, AUSSIE Oi, AUSSIE Oi
Everything Aussie is best in the world.

Last edited by wombat42; Feb 3rd 2005 at 10:25 am.

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wombat42
Hey Eatshitic,
AUSSIE , AUSSIE, AUSSIE, Oi , Oi , Oi ,
AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE, Oi, Oi, Oi
AUSSIE, Oi, AUSSIE Oi, AUSSIE Oi
Everything Aussie is best in the world.
You have just summed it all in one go.

Pom migrants take note, this is the sort of ignorant, childish, one eyed parochial nonsense that passes for reasoned debate in Isolated suburban minded OZ.

Keep taking the pills Wombat and remember to keep away from sharp objects.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:48 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Your very easily Annoyed, you poor wee thing.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:51 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

I would call it Pride...Perhaps thats whats lacking elsewhere....
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:52 am
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute

Location: The best country on earth.An OZ Patriot answering back to its whinging Pom critics.

You'd think there'd be more to do in the best country on earth than troll an internet forum and rack up 700+ posts in under a year. What an interesting character you must be.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:54 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
Location: The best country on earth.An OZ Patriot answering back to its whinging Pom critics.

You'd think there'd be more to do in the best country on earth than troll an internet forum and rack up 700+ posts in under a year. What an interesting character you must be.

A fraction more interesting than you....thats for sure
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 11:00 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

this thread really made me laugh....by any chance are u english
pot and kettle comes to mind
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 11:03 am
wombat42

Keep taking the pills Wombat and remember to keep away from sharp objects.
Thanks for the advice Kong, Eatshit or whatever you call yourself now,
But should you be going around telling people the same advice your doctor gave you?

Last edited by wombat42; Feb 3rd 2005 at 11:25 am.

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 11:08 am
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
A fraction more interesting than you....thats for sure
1400+ posts in about 7 months. Bendigo must be where the action's at then.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 11:09 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
1400+ posts in about 7 months. Bendigo must be where the action's at then.
no its Maroubra
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 11:29 am
Master of verbal pish©

how refreshing to meet such a liberal minded Aussie.
so u have met, was that on oxford street
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 11:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hels
I would call it Pride...Perhaps thats whats lacking elsewhere....
I would call it one eyed nationalism personally, similar to the USA attitude of not looking or thinking outside their own borders. Also very insecure for a nation to constantly pat itself on its back over (usually very minor) achievements.

As for pride lacking elsewhere, I take that as meaning Britain? Britain does not need to constantly look in the mirror and say how great we are. As a mature nation with a proud and fine history of achievements, we already know our self worth.

So vulgar to constantly harp on about ones self!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.