Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Modern mental health practice - my arse

Modern mental health practice - my arse

Old Dec 11th 2004, 9:23 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Modern mental health practice - my arse

Did not know where to post this. Here or the Nusrsing forum.

As it could concern any of us at some point I will put it here rather than the Nursing forum.

This really concerns me:

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...55E421,00.html

G
Old Dec 11th 2004, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Modern mental health practice - my arse

Originally Posted by Grayling
Did not know where to post this. Here or the Nusrsing forum.

As it could concern any of us at some point I will put it here rather than the Nursing forum.

This really concerns me:

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...55E421,00.html

G
Grayling - what a horrific report

I am a Dementia assessment nurse, and hope to God I don't come across anything of this nature - I'm afraid I won't be able to keep my mouth shut - my priority is the well-being of the patients I care for. Having said that, I'm sure a lot of nurses feel that way - but due to lack of support from their managers, feel that they are unable to 'whistle-blow' regarding incidents which occur.
What do you think ?, Cas
Old Dec 11th 2004, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

My God, that is a truly horrendous report. I'm almost beyond words in describing how barbaric I think that is. I hope Cas is going to be OK...
Old Dec 11th 2004, 9:46 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
My God, that is a truly horrendous report. I'm almost beyond words in describing how barbaric I think that is. I hope Cas is going to be OK...
Cas and Tony

Sadly this is not the first I have heard of this type of practice and Melbourne is supposed to be 'ahead' of many areas

Unfortunately most people don't really look at what they are getting into when they take jobs overseas.

Things are very different.

It is also very difficult to 'change the system' as an 'outsider' especially when you have to work your way up the ladder.

Standards vary but you do need to be careful. I have commented on this many times but it is far easier to imagine that things are going to be the same as over here.
Hopefully where you go will be different.

Best wishes

G
Old Dec 11th 2004, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Grayling
Cas and Tony

Sadly this is not the first I have heard of this type of practice and Melbourne is supposed to be 'ahead' of many areas

Unfortunately most people don't really look at what they are getting into when they take jobs overseas.

Things are very different.

It is also very difficult to 'change the system' as an 'outsider' especially when you have to work your way up the ladder.

Standards vary but you do need to be careful. I have commented on this many times but it is far easier to imagine that things are going to be the same as over here.
Hopefully where you go will be different.

Best wishes

G
Cheers Grayling - I hope so too - not long now and I'll find out, start my job the end of next month.
Cas x
Old Dec 11th 2004, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Cheers Grayling - I hope so too - not long now and I'll find out, start my job the end of next month.
Cas x
I have worked for 12 months in elderly mentally ill in Melbourne and I was taken back by some of the practices, ie routinely crushing medication, buxton type chairs, stable doors on the bedrooms and hospital security who pile in at any sign of disruption. Plus in some homes there is 1 staff nurse to 70+ residents.
Its very difficult to get used to it and if you open your mouth even to someone who agrees with you, you'll probably shoot yourself in the foot.
Mandy
Old Dec 11th 2004, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mandyisere
I have worked for 12 months in elderly mentally ill in Melbourne and I was taken back by some of the practices, ie routinely crushing medication, buxton type chairs, stable doors on the bedrooms and hospital security who pile in at any sign of disruption. Plus in some homes there is 1 staff nurse to 70+ residents.
Its very difficult to get used to it and if you open your mouth even to someone who agrees with you, you'll probably shoot yourself in the foot.
Mandy
Like i said - I'm a dementia nurse, going to work in Melbourne.
Who you with? PM me if you don't mind saying.
Cas
Old Dec 11th 2004, 10:36 pm
scoobydoo

Originally Posted by Mandyisere
Mandy

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...?oneclick=true

Another report I saw in The Age this morning.

I had an interview at a home where the staff ratio was 1 trained to 60 patients. That is disgusting and the practices Mandy has worked with are archaic. I don't think I could work in that enviroment but I can understand that if you have to work you may not have any choice.

Old Dec 11th 2004, 10:37 pm
scoobydoo

Originally Posted by scoobydoo

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...?oneclick=true

Another report I saw in The Age this morning.

I had an interview at a home where the staff ratio was 1 trained to 60 patients. That is disgusting and the practices Mandy has worked with are archaic. I don't think I could work in that enviroment but I can understand that if you have to work you may not have any choice.

Sorry I can't get that link to work!!

Old Dec 12th 2004, 10:44 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also a mental health nurse, though I havnt seen anything that horrific, I was still surprised at some of the practices here, particularly in EMI, as has been mentioned, restraints seem to be commonplace and accepted ( physical and chemical) and generally practice is behind anything I encountered in the uk in 13 years.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mcmercer
I'm also a mental health nurse, though I havnt seen anything that horrific, I was still surprised at some of the practices here, particularly in EMI, as has been mentioned, restraints seem to be commonplace and accepted ( physical and chemical) and generally practice is behind anything I encountered in the uk in 13 years.
How horrible. Must say despite my general cheerfulness and optimism regarding Oz this is something I have heard about and seen on tele that makes me hope I never need this kind of help. How can a country be so ahead of times in so many ways yet back in the middle ages in such an important area?
Old Dec 12th 2004, 11:41 am
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G'Day
How horrible. Must say despite my general cheerfulness and optimism regarding Oz this is something I have heard about and seen on tele that makes me hope I never need this kind of help. How can a country be so ahead of times in so many ways yet back in the middle ages in such an important area?
Pray tell me, in what ways in Oz "so ahead of times"?

The time I spent there all I saw was a country at least 20 years behind the UK in almost all aspects.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Pray tell me, in what ways in Oz "so ahead of times"?

The time I spent there all I saw was a country at least 20 years behind the UK in almost all aspects.
I wasn't comparing Oz strictly to the UK, I've been around a bit and can appreciate some of the innovativeness of the ozzies, but am amazed by how backwards they are in other things, like labour laws and this. They DID invent many of the common labour saving devices of our times.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G'Day
I wasn't comparing Oz strictly to the UK, I've been around a bit and can appreciate some of the innovativeness of the ozzies, but am amazed by how backwards they are in other things, like labour laws and this. They DID invent many of the common labour saving devices of our times.
Four weeks holidays per year, as standard, also Long service leave after 10 years, (I've qualified for that in two different jobs now, one with the gas and fuel, and now with the post office, so it is achievable by many) Equates to 13 weeks holiday + 5 weeks for night shift, then from that point on, 9 days extra per year and one of the highest public holiday ratios in the world, I wouldn't call that backwards

I'm trying to find that old newspaper report, that Grayling alludes too, It's been archived or deleted by the looks of things though. I'm sure there are horror stories that can be found in England as well.

Orf to report to my wife about crushed medication and buxton chairs now, plus staff patient ratio. I do know that when she worked in England years ago, her Aussie qualfications were not recognised, so nursing was pointless for her, and she took up office work instead.

Is there a thread with some substance in it, on this Mental Health nursing subject, as my wife has has about 15 years expierence in this feild, from forensic, right through to psychiatric geriatric nursing.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

No restraints are used, at the old Latrobe Mental health hospital, Neither were any used at Royal Park, Nor are any being used, at the (the psychiatric section ) John cade, and Buelah wards at the Royal Melbourne.

They do get used in The general section of the hospital, for patients that need emergency General care, in some special circumstances

More info required on 'buxton chairs', probably an english expression, and more detail required on the crushed medication please,

The staff patient ratio's quoted, are going to be assumed as untrue, impossible to beleive and unheard off, If anyone knows this to be true, please email me, and it will be reported to the correct people, without any detail given as to where the info came from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.