Mobs of Moths!!

Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all
Default Mobs of Moths!!

Hi

yesterday we couldn't help but notice a strange phenomenon!

Mobs of moths everywhere, all different sizes and colours, landing on our windscreen as we drove, flying up from the roads, hovering in bushes; masses of them everywhere!

I don't normally mind the creatures, just like butterflies really, but I'd never seen anything like this before, they even managed to get into the house in the evening (around closed windows or through extractor vents).

Is this a usual occurrence in early Spring in Australia or just SA?

gd
Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:25 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobs of Moths!!

Originally Posted by gdcollectables
Hi

Mobs of moths everywhere, all different sizes and colours, landing on our windscreen as we drove, flying up from the roads, hovering in bushes; masses of them everywhere!

I don't normally mind the creatures, just like butterflies really, but I'd never seen anything like this before, they even managed to get into the house in the evening (around closed windows or through extractor vents).

gd
:scared: Arrrrrr MOTHMAN IS COMING FOR YOU!!!!!! :scared:
Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:27 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Mobs of Moths!!

Never encountered this myself. :scared:
Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:52 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

gd
Probably something to do with global warming - isn't everything these days... I'm not surprised that insects are confused though. The weather does seem to be getting a bit extreme everywhere.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

gd
There are several species of Aus moths that do this. The aboriginals used to harvest Bogong Moths by the million this way as a valuable source of protein.

Everything you wanted to know about Bogong Moths, but were afraid to ask.

Last edited by tonyk38; Aug 30th 2005 at 3:46 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 3:44 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

gd

sounds like something Mulder and Scully might investigate!!
Old Aug 30th 2005, 3:55 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Mobs of Moths!!

Originally Posted by tonyk38
There are several species of Aus moths that do this. The aboriginals used to harvest Bogong Moths by the million this way as a valuable source of protein.

Thanks; I was afraid to ask... :scared:
Old Aug 30th 2005, 4:07 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

LOL!
Old Aug 30th 2005, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:23 pm
ABCDiamond

Hi

gd
I saw that on the TV last night, it looked incredible I've never heard of it before myself.

Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tonyk38

When New Parliament House in Canberra was built they considered every possible security contiguency at the time. They forget about the Bogong moth.

On the moth's flight path to the Snowy Mountains there was this big bright shiney candle in the way......

WW
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:06 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
When New Parliament House in Canberra was built they considered every possible security contiguency at the time. They forget about the Bogong moth.

On the moth's flight path to the Snowy Mountains there was this big bright shiney candle in the way......

WW
Oooops....big splat?
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

The Bogong Moths breed in Western Queensland during the winter and then migrate to the cool Snowy Mountains each spring. On their annual trip south they can get blown off course and some years a LOT of them end up in Sydney.

This is the only wildlife in Australia that freaks me out. I can handle spiders and snakes, I can even handle the giant, flying cockroaches we get here but I LOATHE moths. When they arrive, they usually hang around for about a fortnight before just disappearing - but in that fortnight they get everywhere and I spend a lot of time jumping out of my skin. (I pay my kids a dollar for every dead moth they get).

I doubt that these SA moths are the same Bogong Moths that we suffer from - but it's probably a similar phenomena. Local weather conditions have forced them off their usual migration pattern and they've ended up somewhere different.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:56 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Hi
We had them down here in Goolwa too. All over the windows at night, then I disturbed them on the lawn in the morning.

I think they must have responded to the couple of days we had at 25c and emerged from their winter hideaways to mate. It's now showery, cool and blowing a gale. I bet they regret the decision to come out to play.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 11:19 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

They are BUDWORM moths and due to the early warm weather we have been having they have hatched early, and the local birds have not woken up to the fact. Mother Nature will adjust. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, mm