British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Mobiles in Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/mobiles-oz-611151/)

bezzanbob May 25th 2009 4:48 pm

Mobiles in Oz

Folks,

Any assistance re mobiles would be welcome.:)

Providing our current phones are 'unlocked' is it possible to slip a prep paid sim in for a two month stay in Oz - or should we simply opt for a pay as you go phone. :confused:

Advice and experiences welcomed.

Bezza.

p.s. We are assuming all wireless broadband is contract based. Any other options whilst travelling from east to west?

scotlandtooz May 25th 2009 8:20 pm

Re: Mobiles in Oz

Just used my contract phone and put a pay as you go sim in it. Actually got my high street contract shop to unlock it for free as told them was going to Oz.

Wireless broadband... Would just use it where I could get it.

slipshot May 25th 2009 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by bezzanbob (Post 7602610)
Folks,

Any assistance re mobiles would be welcome.:)

Providing our current phones are 'unlocked' is it possible to slip a prep paid sim in for a two month stay in Oz - or should we simply opt for a pay as you go phone. :confused:

Advice and experiences welcomed.

Bezza.

p.s. We are assuming all wireless broadband is contract based. Any other options whilst travelling from east to west?

Answer to both questions - yes, you can use any PAYG sim and slip it in, and yes, wireless b/band can be either PAYG or contract - your choice.

quoll May 25th 2009 9:21 pm

If you are only here on holiday I dont know that you would be able to get a contract with a telco - you need your 100 points and all that so payg might be your only option. Get them unlocked in UK though it can be quite difficult to find someone here to do it. There is usually a "little man in the market" who will do it cheap for you.

You can get a payg broadband dongle quite cheaply though not as cheap as UK. If you have a dongle already you can apparently get them unlocked too and use them with a payg broadband sim when you get here.

bezzanbob May 26th 2009 8:31 am

Folks,

Thanks for this.

Any suggestion re pre paid wirless broadband providers -ideally who do mobiles as well - so it could be a one stop hit the day we arrive in Brisbane.

Bezza

killamarsh May 26th 2009 9:52 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 7603285)
If you are only here on holiday I dont know that you would be able to get a contract with a telco - you need your 100 points and all that so payg might be your only option. Get them unlocked in UK though it can be quite difficult to find someone here to do it. There is usually a "little man in the market" who will do it cheap for you.

You can get a payg broadband dongle quite cheaply though not as cheap as UK. If you have a dongle already you can apparently get them unlocked too and use them with a payg broadband sim when you get here.

What is the 100 points about - what is it? Is it like the points for a bank account?

moneypenny20 May 26th 2009 10:26 am

Originally Posted by killamarsh (Post 7604809)
What is the 100 points about - what is it? Is it like the points for a bank account?

Yes. You need to prove 100 points for anything that includes finance. Pre Paid phones don't need the check.

Pick up an Aus sim. It's cheaper phoning the UK from an Aus sim than it is with a UK sim.