Mobiles in oz

Old Jul 8th 2006, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Ian.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really nice
Default Mobiles in oz

Can we use orange pay as you go phones in Oz, also can we use O2 phones or do we need to unlock prior to coming . are there any sister networks etc?
Old Jul 8th 2006, 11:34 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all
Default Re: Mobiles in oz

Originally Posted by Ian.C.Williams
Can we use orange pay as you go phones in Oz, also can we use O2 phones or do we need to unlock prior to coming . are there any sister networks etc?

I don't think "Orange" are here and not sure about 02 either. Vodaphone, Telstra (BT equivalent), 3 , Virgin, Optus. We're not big users of mobiles and all the main companies seem to charge the earth just for basic calls. We use Revolution https://www.revtel.com.au/index.php and they are very reasonable. So my suggestion would be to unlock your phone and then sort something out when you get here. Also Revolution gives you the option of using your current mobile phone number as well if possible.

Lorraine
Old Jul 8th 2006, 12:51 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Unlock your phone before you get here. Then you can use whatever SIM you like in it. Vodafone run good deals and basically you pay $49 and get $250 credit per month, the SIM in free. There are of course cheaper and more expensive plans.

Just get your phone unlocked since they are relatively expensive here to buy the unit outright.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 3:59 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Does any provider give you a free phone if you have a 12month contract?
Old Jul 8th 2006, 5:14 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
Yeps, optus have just given us a couple of phones on a 2 year contract..........mind you we've got the phone, broadband and mobiles all tied in together now which represents good value
Old Jul 8th 2006, 8:40 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan
I don't think "Orange" are here and not sure about 02 either. Vodaphone, Telstra (BT equivalent), 3 , Virgin, Optus. We're not big users of mobiles and all the main companies seem to charge the earth just for basic calls. We use Revolution https://www.revtel.com.au/index.php and they are very reasonable. So my suggestion would be to unlock your phone and then sort something out when you get here. Also Revolution gives you the option of using your current mobile phone number as well if possible.

Lorraine
Surpisingly the OH's Orange (UK) sim card worked here just before she went back, as she put it in at the airport just to save time later on and her phone It was never unlocked that I know of so it worked equally well with Optus and Telstra. It also worked at the Hong Kong airport with Orange (UK). Oz has its own version of Orange but the two companies are different entities. My O2 system works just as well also, must have "autoroam".

Last edited by The Bloke; Jul 8th 2006 at 8:47 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 8:43 pm

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
Yeps, optus have just given us a couple of phones on a 2 year contract..........mind you we've got the phone, broadband and mobiles all tied in together now which represents good value
Unfortuately it doesn't work on pre-paid phones only on contract per month plus calls.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 4:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Just to update The Blokes info - my UK Orange pay as you go works now in SIN and in Aus. (didn`t work in either in February).
NeIther the Orange nor my Aussie Telstra pay as you go are working in Tokyo
Telstra pay as you go wouldn`t work in the UK still
The Blokes O2 card from the UK works in Aus
Old Jul 9th 2006, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just to update The Blokes info - my UK Orange pay as you go works now in SIN and in Aus. (didn`t work in either in February).
NeIther the Orange nor my Aussie Telstra pay as you go are working in Tokyo
Telstra pay as you go wouldn`t work in the UK still
The Blokes O2 card from the UK works in Aus
Are you moonlighting in some Tokyo airport bar?
Old Jul 9th 2006, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The Brand Name Orange, is just about finished here, as it was a CDMA only network. (No sim cards on the CDMA Service). Hutchinson Telecommunications are the parent company. Hutchinson also own the 3 network. Recently everyone that had Orange phones, were encouraged by Hutchinsons to switch over to 3 and their 3G network. You received a free handset, the old contract paid out, or voided, kept the same low rate as CDMA of 9 cents per 30 seconds, and free 10 mins calls to other 3 or those who havn't changed their CDMA Orange handsets over yet.

I'm not sure how the UK Orange sim cards would be charged. They would definitely not be using the CDMA network though.

More information re the Orange CDMA on the following URL

http://www2.three.com.au/cdma/default.aspx?id=3
Old Jul 9th 2006, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Jarvl will become famous soon enoughJarvl will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
All providers give you a free phone with a 24 month contract not 12 months.... bear in mind the phone is only under guarantee for 12 months!
Old Jul 9th 2006, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jarvl
All providers give you a free phone with a 24 month contract not 12 months.... bear in mind the phone is only under guarantee for 12 months!
Im not 100 pct sure about that. Reason being, if you talk to the Indian call centre of say 3, they have latitude to give customers heaps more extras than buying the same phone on the same plan from a traditional retail outlet.

Another point as a side issue, in the 4 months I've had my 3G phone, I've only used the Video phone 3 times, once to try it out with my wifes 3G phone, once to play a trick on my friend, and once at 75 cents per 30secs to chat with my brother in Milton Keynes.

Pretty hard product to sell the Video phone, and very intrusive in my opinion.

'
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Are you moonlighting in some Tokyo airport bar?
Flipping cheek! Not only do you take over the computer in my absence but you take the mick as well Nice free internet cafe in Tokyo Narita airport..... though I did end up in the bar afterwards!
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:56 am
going to QLD (hopefully)

Location: Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, W Wales hopefully moving to Queensland (Brisbane Area)
Sparky will become famous soon enoughSparky will become famous soon enough

Most contract o2 phone are network unlocked anyway.. o2 contract phones work off a number of network operators in AUS but it will prefer to change to TELSTRA.

Originally Posted by Ian.C.Williams