Reload this Page >

Mobile Telco in Australia

Mobile Telco in Australia

Old Jul 28th 2005, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

VanTheMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobile Telco in Australia

Hi guys,

From the mobile provider in Australia, I only know 2 giant telecommunication company...Telstra and Optus.

Which one is better in terms of quality, charges and benefits. During my last trip to Australia, I was told that Optus mobile users can make free calls to other Optus subscriber from 8pm till 12pm. I do not know whether its for postpaid or prepaid users. Is it still valid?

Hope you guys out there can shed some idea.

Best Regards,
Van
Old Jul 28th 2005, 4:45 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Telco in Australia

Originally Posted by VanTheMan
Hi guys,

From the mobile provider in Australia, I only know 2 giant telecommunication company...Telstra and Optus.

Which one is better in terms of quality, charges and benefits. During my last trip to Australia, I was told that Optus mobile users can make free calls to other Optus subscriber from 8pm till 12pm. I do not know whether its for postpaid or prepaid users. Is it still valid?

Hope you guys out there can shed some idea.

Best Regards,
Van
i use virgin mobile which uses the optus network. Maily for txt message but the price is going up 1st sep. so I may consider a switch..
Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:39 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Hi guys,

Van
There's Telstra Mobile : http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/index.htm?tR=3
Optus: www.optus.com.au
Vodafone: www.vodafone.com.au
Virgin Mobile: www.virginmobile.com.au
Orange: www.orange.com.au

There may be more, those are off the top of my head. Plans change all the time so you need to shop around and find the best for you. Vodafone have been picking up a lot of market share lately so they must be doing something right. You can switch from one to the other and keep the same number so don't get locked into a contract if you don't really have to.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

VanTheMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Soi Oz,

Thanks for the info! By the way, which one would you recommend? Prepaid or postpaid? Do give some comment and suggestions!

Rgds,
Van

Originally Posted by Soi Oz
There's Telstra Mobile : http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/index.htm?tR=3
Optus: www.optus.com.au
Vodafone: www.vodafone.com.au
Virgin Mobile: www.virginmobile.com.au
Orange: www.orange.com.au

There may be more, those are off the top of my head. Plans change all the time so you need to shop around and find the best for you. Vodafone have been picking up a lot of market share lately so they must be doing something right. You can switch from one to the other and keep the same number so don't get locked into a contract if you don't really have to.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:01 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Soi Oz,

Thanks for the info! By the way, which one would you recommend? Prepaid or postpaid? Do give some comment and suggestions!

Rgds,
Van
You may struggle to get post-paid without a credit history which takes months to build up apparently.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:17 am
C&V
Sydneysider

C&V is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget 3 also...

http://www.three.com.au

Pre and post paid options available... low cap rates, (3G) broadband speed, and you can even use your phone as a modem. Plug it into your laptop and you can access the internet! Great if you are travelling around and need to access emails etc...

We like it anyway...

C&V
Old Jul 29th 2005, 2:04 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

don't forget the virtual mobile companies like isim (www.isim.com.au), boost and aapt. all offer better good call rates and coverage.

i went with isim about 2 years ago, switching from telstra. still prepaid because i found that all post paid plans cost more than the prepaid.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Prepaid seems cheaper, if only for the fact that if you lose your phone or some scumbag nicks it you won't have to keep paying the monthly charge for 2 years or for all the calls made to premium rate numbers.