Mobile Phones

Old Feb 9th 2011, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold
Default Mobile Phones

Will our existing mobile phones work in oz, or do we need to buy new, or is it just a sim change and new credit?
Also, do you have pay as you go or is it all contract agreements please.
THANKS.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Mobile Phones

They'll most likely need to be unlocked before you leave, then you can get some oz sim cards when you get there.

You can tell if they are network locked (probably) by putting in another network's sim and see if it works, or brings up an error message.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:46 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

both pay as you go and contracts are available.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by deb68
Will our existing mobile phones work in oz, or do we need to buy new, or is it just a sim change and new credit?
Also, do you have pay as you go or is it all contract agreements please.
THANKS.
Get them unlocked before you come out - its a pain in the arse out here.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

If it is locked, simply google the model number along with unlock and you should be able to cheaply (<20 pounds) unlock it online depending on the model. Before you do this though call your provider and request a free unlock as a lot of t he time they will unlock it for you depending on how long you have been on contract with them.

On the other hand I have found contracts in Aus which provide a phone (iphone 4 etc) to be quite well priced. For example the $59 cap on virgin with iphone 4 allows you to call overseas as part of your monthly credit which is great for expats.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fluid36
If it is locked, simply google the model number along with unlock and you should be able to cheaply (<20 pounds) unlock it online depending on the model. Before you do this though call your provider and request a free unlock as a lot of t he time they will unlock it for you depending on how long you have been on contract with them.

On the other hand I have found contracts in Aus which provide a phone (iphone 4 etc) to be quite well priced. For example the $59 cap on virgin with iphone 4 allows you to call overseas as part of your monthly credit which is great for expats.
Calling overseas on a $59 cap would last about... 5mins. That is before you started getting additional charges.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Calling overseas on a $59 cap would last about... 5mins. That is before you started getting additional charges.
Not true, I can make a couple of hours calls per month no probs.

In Aus 59 cap refers to how much you pay per month, this includes $450 call time per month. Each country costs a slightly different amount to call obviously but the $450 gives you plenty.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I used to get a few hours to Ireland with Three for about that.

EDIT: About 4 hours on $55 cap.

Last edited by Steve2009; Feb 10th 2011 at 1:57 am.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 2:39 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I used to get a few hours to Ireland with Three for about that.

EDIT: About 4 hours on $55 cap.
Yup. My $49 cap on 3 allows $100 of international calls at $0.80/minute.

i.e. 125 minutes.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Not true, I can make a couple of hours calls per month no probs.
It was an intentional exaggeration. Maybe I should have used a smiley face so people don't take it literally?
Old Feb 10th 2011, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

It was an intentional exaggeration. Maybe I should have used a smiley face so people don't take it literally?
Maybe, but I would say it's more than an exaggeration, you referred to the $59 cap as your point of reference without even knowing the available dollar amount call time so I would say it was more of a misunderstanding on your behalf.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

you referred to the $59 cap as your point of reference without even knowing the available dollar amount call time so I would say it was more of a misunderstanding on your behalf.
And by saying it wouldn't last 5 mins, which is so blatantly obvious a massive understatement it should have been obvious to all, apart from the anally retentive, and still got the message across that mobile phones calls in Australia are a rip off.

You have difficulty reading between the lines, don't you?
Old Feb 10th 2011, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

And by saying it wouldn't last 5 mins, which is so blatantly obvious a massive understatement it should have been obvious to all, apart from the anally retentive, and still got the message across that mobile phones calls in Australia are a rip off.

You have difficulty reading between the lines, don't you?
Try calling Aus from Ireland. How much is it to call Aus from a mobile in the UK? Aus seems cheap compared to Ireland.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 4:56 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Someone here put me onto Amaysim, which is apparently going gangbusters. 15¢ / min, no flagfall and $10pm for data.

Since I only use my mobile for say a couple of calls a month it's good value.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wol
Someone here put me onto Amaysim, which is apparently going gangbusters. 15¢ / min, no flagfall and $10pm for data.

Since I only use my mobile for say a couple of calls a month it's good value.
They're certainly going gangbusters on their advertising. I wonder whose network they're using. (EDIT: Optus 3G)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.