Mobile Phones

Old Feb 19th 2006, 1:08 pm
Staying in BoxHill

chessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to all
Default Mobile Phones

Hubby and I are leaving in March for Melbourne but were wondering whether it would be better to buy a mobile phone here or when we get there? Could anyone recommend a good network provider as well?
thanks
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:00 pm
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mobile Phones

Buy one when you get here.

Firstly, your pounds will go further if you buy the phone here, and secondly, you can usually pick up a better deal if you buy a package of phone + SIM, rather than just the SIM card.

For example, I pay $6 a month for line rental + handset for my phone.

Companies like Digiplus (www.digiplus.com.au) often have good deals. They vary from month to month, so worth checking back if the current deal isn't right for you.

Phone reception, just like in the UK, can be patchy - but if you're in Melbourne you should be fine with either Telstra or Optus.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I agree, buy one when you get here

There are hundreds of mobile phone outlets - plenty of choice - no worries m8
Old Feb 20th 2006, 12:54 am
ABCDiamond

BiLo have a Telstra C139 mobile phone this week for $49.50 including $10 of calls on a prepaid plan.

Kmart also have it for $49.99

Old Feb 20th 2006, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
BiLo have a Telstra C139 mobile phone this week for $49.50 including $10 of calls on a prepaid plan.

Kmart also have it for $49.99

Hi

Thats a very basic model ABC - nearly the same as I bought when we first arrived in OZ didn't know any better than - he he!! Have a much better one now Motorola V171, still basic but a much more stylish beautiful silver flip open design and still only paid $99, plus $10 worth free calls with pre-paid. Worth the extra $50 in my opinion!

Last edited by Bix da Boss; Feb 20th 2006 at 2:00 am.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 7:04 pm
Staying in BoxHill

chessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to all

Thanks. Hubby can get his moby there then
Old Feb 20th 2006, 11:55 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Hi

Thats a very basic model ABC - nearly the same as I bought when we first arrived in OZ didn't know any better than - he he!! Have a much better one now Motorola V171, still basic but a much more stylish beautiful silver flip open design and still only paid $99, plus $10 worth free calls with pre-paid. Worth the extra $50 in my opinion!

I'm one of those older people who JUST use a mobile phone for telephone calls, a basic one does me. It has buttons to dial, speaker to hear, and something for me to speak into Mine was one of the $99 type aswell, when nothing was cheaper! I think mine has a game on it, at least I think that's why my daughter sometimes borrows it

Heres some more prices, from: http://www.techoni.com.au/

Nokia 2650 $169.95
Nokia 3120 $179.95
Nokia 3200 $219.95
Nokia 3220 $199.95
Nokia 3230 $469.95
Nokia 5140i $299.95
Nokia 6020 $245.95
Nokia 6021 $215.95
Nokia 6030 $158.95
Nokia 6060 $229.95
Nokia 6100 $189.95
Nokia 6101 $319.98
Nokia 6101 White $319.98
Nokia 6111 Black $434.95
Nokia 6111 Pink $434.95
Nokia 6111 Silver $474.95
Nokia 616 Car Phone $560.95
Nokia 6230 $409.95
Nokia 6230i $458.68
Nokia 6610i $179.95

But........ Phone plans can be better, eg: he Nokia 6101 ($319.98 above), is available with Virgin Mobile for $15 per month over 24 months and you get $15 worth of national & international calls, text & photos per month, included. ie: $360 total including $360 worth of calls, over 2 years.

Old Feb 21st 2006, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Kevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really nice

Originally Posted by chessp
Hubby and I are leaving in March for Melbourne but were wondering whether it would be better to buy a mobile phone here or when we get there? Could anyone recommend a good network provider as well?
thanks

If you have a phone in the UK, bring it with you just in case. We bought all of ours and we went into the Yes Optus shop and asked if a simcard would work in our phones, the lad put the card into each of our phones and 3 out of 4 worked. I can't remember everyone elses phone, but mine is a Nokia 3410. We bought sim cards for the three that worked and these sim cards allow us free calls anytime (for the first 60 days) to anyone else on Yes Optus, which was really handy for us all to keep in touch.

Hazel
Old Feb 21st 2006, 4:52 am
Just Joined

rich4efc will become famous soon enough

I bought a sim free phone (Motorola V3) from these guys http://www.redmobile.com.au/Default....abid=36&List=1 when I arrived here, excellent service, I ordered online & the phione was delivered the next day! I've recommended them to friends & they have all been happy with the prices & service.

Rich
Old Feb 21st 2006, 4:59 am

gedge has disabled reputation

I'm flogging a couple of brand new sk65's on Ebay soon.

I'm hoping for about $100 a piece, but if you want to make me an offer?