mobile phones

Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

bex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nice
Default mobile phones

We need new mobile phones and was wondering if anyone can tell me if they have bought new mobile phones in the duty free shop at Singapore airport, and if so do they come unlocked ready for and Australian sim card
thanks for any help
Old Oct 5th 2005, 11:05 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice
Default Re: mobile phones

The phones i saw in the airport werent really that cheap to be honest..
Old Oct 6th 2005, 8:18 am
Just Joined

dazby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bex 66
We need new mobile phones and was wondering if anyone can tell me if they have bought new mobile phones in the duty free shop at Singapore airport, and if so do they come unlocked ready for and Australian sim card
thanks for any help
hi there .... we wondered a very similar thing ... we still have our UK mobiles and are now out of contract to the phones are ours ... not wanting to pay out for 'ozi' phones ... had a 'mooch' around on the web ... found out how to 'unblock' the phone so that 'any' sim will work in it ... then went down to Woolies in Capalaba and bought Vodaphone red sim pack for 2$ ... yipee ... phone working ... and vodaphone do some really good pay as you go packages ... and after checking Orange/Telstra/Optus etc ... Vodaphone deffo came out the best ... hope this helps ya .... and happy 'mobiling' :-)
Old Oct 6th 2005, 8:55 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for any help
No mobile phones come "locked" unless they are provided by a mobile service provider and sold with a contract.
If you have a uk mobile tied to a contract and you bring the phone to oz you will find that its locked and locked even if youve paid the contract off.
If the later is the case all you need to do is contact your mobile service provider in uk and ask them for the code to unlock. Failing that, find a smaller mobile shop in oz that unlocks phones, the cost is around $30-$50

I had 2 uk phones and unlocked both of them at 2 different mobile shops, one sony ericcson t630 and a motorola V550 (E550). Services available like wap and gprs arent very good in oz so most funky features on the mobile will have little use here.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 9:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for any help
I wanted to buy a Sony Ericsson W800i in Singapore but none were available. I bought a Vodaphone payg in Perth. It was $79 with $30 calls included. It's a crappy Motorola, but will do for now. I'll get a better contract phone when I've got a credit rating. Vodaphone seem to be ok.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 9:11 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
No mobile phones come "locked" unless they are provided by a mobile service provider and sold with a contract.
If you have a uk mobile tied to a contract and you bring the phone to oz you will find that its locked and locked even if youve paid the contract off.
If the later is the case all you need to do is contact your mobile service provider in uk and ask them for the code to unlock. Failing that, find a smaller mobile shop in oz that unlocks phones, the cost is around $30-$50

I had 2 uk phones and unlocked both of them at 2 different mobile shops, one sony ericcson t630 and a motorola V550 (E550). Services available like wap and gprs arent very good in oz so most funky features on the mobile will have little use here.
You can get most phones unlocked on t'internet for a couple of quid
Old Oct 6th 2005, 9:49 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath

My contract phone from the UK was unlocked from the start. I wouldnt have gone on the contract if it was a locked phone
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:19 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carkedit
My contract phone from the UK was unlocked from the start. I wouldnt have gone on the contract if it was a locked phone
It varies really, there were 5 of us all on the same contract with the same company with the same phones. Only one of them was locked. Most payg phones are locked, my last one wasn't though. But like I said, I think I paid £1.50 to unlock my husband's phone and it was immediate.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
You can get most phones unlocked on t'internet for a couple of quid
Or even better FREE. Nokia's are the easiest to find codes for.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

thanks for any help
Singapore airport duty free is not really the best place to buy electronics: you can often find the same stuff in the city for 10 - 20% cheaper
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:57 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I wanted to buy a Sony Ericsson W800i in Singapore but none were available. I bought a Vodaphone payg in Perth. It was $79 with $30 calls included. It's a crappy Motorola, but will do for now. I'll get a better contract phone when I've got a credit rating. Vodaphone seem to be ok.
Vodafone are excellent. Great customer service and choice of phones. Their billing system is great too. Don't tie you in to long contracts and you can swap and change as you like. Their Vodafone Live! is cool too. Loads of info on there.

R