Mobile Phones

Old Feb 15th 2005, 9:49 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough
Default Mobile Phones

How can I find out if my mobile phone will work in Auz. I've only recently purchased a new phone and was wondering whether it would continue to work in Auz. Obviously I'll have to purchase a new sim card from a mobile phone network. Does it need any special features to work correctly, if I wanted to use it in America I think it would need to be tri-band, is this the case in Auz.

Thanks.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 9:51 am
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Mobile Phones

Originally Posted by elksa
How can I find out if my mobile phone will work in Auz. I've only recently purchased a new phone and was wondering whether it would continue to work in Auz. Obviously I'll have to purchase a new sim card from a mobile phone network. Does it need any special features to work correctly, if I wanted to use it in America I think it would need to be tri-band, is this the case in Auz.

Thanks.
dual band will do I think
Old Feb 15th 2005, 9:58 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.
Your uk phone should work in oz but you may need to get it unlocked at a phone shop so you can use another network.
Virgin pay as ya go sim is cheap to ring back to uk about 45cent a min i think! Same rate for crossnetwork landline calls any time of day or night etc .
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:22 am
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Mobile Phones

Thanks.
Pay as you go phones are usually locked, and can be unlocked in the UK or in Aus quite easily.
Some contract phones on O2 and Vodafone are never locked, so will just work with a SIM card switch. If there is a network logo printed on the phone then these are usually locked to that network.

As for phones working in Oz, dual band (900/1800Mhz) will work on any network in Oz. US phones will not.

I found that Vodafone in Australia costs $3 for 10 mins to call UK. Not to be confused with using your Vodafone UK SIM card in Australia, which will cost you about 80p a minute to call UK whilst roaming.

Vodafone just want your passport number and a fixed Australian address to set up a Pay as you go service. Was very easy to do.

Paul
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:52 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

Originally Posted by gajjitt
Pay as you go phones are usually locked, and can be unlocked in the UK or in Aus quite easily.
Some contract phones on O2 and Vodafone are never locked, so will just work with a SIM card switch. If there is a network logo printed on the phone then these are usually locked to that network.

As for phones working in Oz, dual band (900/1800Mhz) will work on any network in Oz. US phones will not.

I found that Vodafone in Australia costs $3 for 10 mins to call UK. Not to be confused with using your Vodafone UK SIM card in Australia, which will cost you about 80p a minute to call UK whilst roaming.

Vodafone just want your passport number and a fixed Australian address to set up a Pay as you go service. Was very easy to do.

Paul
I spoke to virgin mobile the other day and they said that they can unlock your phone via text whilst still in the uk, meaning that you retain the same sim card and phone number.

Neil