Mobile phones

Old Oct 31st 2003, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Mobile phones

If we buy a pay as you go phone over here will we be able to take it over with us and just buy a new sim card for it?

Do they have pay as you go in Aus, any idea of the charges for mobile phone calls?

Any other useful info like which network is the best price wise?

Ta
Old Oct 31st 2003, 3:06 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mobile phones

Hi tinaj,

I suspect that most phones will work, but it will be interesting to see what the answer is.
I know that in the usa the phones there seem to have better range than UK ones. (GSM)

Bye
Markeh
Old Oct 31st 2003, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Tina

We use virgin here and i had intended to use it there too but it would appear they dont have a pay as you go option, i'm sure others do, we are taking our own phones with us but have been told you need to get them unlocked, again i have no clue how to do this.

So i'd be really interested to hear whats best, pay as you go or monthly bill, and which services have best coverage in WA.

Lynn

by the way good news on your house
Old Oct 31st 2003, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

lind is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj
If we buy a pay as you go phone over here will we be able to take it over with us and just buy a new sim card for it?

Do they have pay as you go in Aus, any idea of the charges for mobile phone calls?

Any other useful info like which network is the best price wise?

Ta

I've just got a new mobile- pay as you go- from the carphone warehouse as I intend to take it to oz and just get a new sim card.The chap was helpful and said that the PAYG phone was already unlocked.
My husbands is a contract phone with orange and he will have to go into the orange shop to get it unlocked for about £25-£35.

Sorry - don't know anything about tarrifs in oz

Old Oct 31st 2003, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to see a bloke on a market stall and paid £5 to have a Vodafone mobile unlocked (it takes 30 seconds to do and was the easiest fiver he earned). You shouldn't have to pay more than £10 to have it unlocked.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

WhiteRose is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by lynnj
Tina

We use virgin here and i had intended to use it there too but it would appear they dont have a pay as you go option, i'm sure others do.
Virgin mobile do have a PAYG option in Australia.

Check out http://www.virginmobile.com.au
Old Oct 31st 2003, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

So they do, they just dont make it easy for you to find, i'm off to look at the rates.

Lynn
Old Oct 31st 2003, 4:59 pm
Triple Expat!

JimInSomerset is an unknown quantity at this point

This site -
http://www.phonechoice.com.au/index.cfm?Section=Mobile

should give you all the information you need on plans etc.

Have fun.

Cheers

Jim
Old Oct 31st 2003, 5:03 pm
Badge

there is a website for unlocking phones - I'll dig it out

cost - a tenner.

badge

Old Oct 31st 2003, 5:08 pm
Badge

it may not be the best network - especially rural - but you can't go wrong with Optus in the city for the first few weeks you are there. Rock up and get the "Bring your own mobile" deal.

Badge

Old Oct 31st 2003, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Whiterose thanks for posting the Virgin details- I am with them over here and I have a Virgin mobile so will I need to get another sim out there then? Maybe I should ring them and ask.

The rates look good especially if we buy another Virgin phone for my hubby as well.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

WhiteRose is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by tinaj
Whiterose thanks for posting the Virgin details- I am with them over here and I have a Virgin mobile so will I need to get another sim out there then? Maybe I should ring them and ask.

The rates look good especially if we buy another Virgin phone for my hubby as well.
We bought an Australian Virgin SIM card whilst we were out there on holiday last year. It cost $29, but we also got $29 worth of calls. You need to make sure your phone is unlocked, which Virgin (UK) will do for free provided you have spent at least £30 with them.

The call rates were good, especially for calls back to the UK, and coverage was fine in Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne. I couldn't say what it is like in more rural areas, but no problems in the city.

I would buy a phone in the UK, get it unlocked and take it with you as phones seemed to be quite expensive out there.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I bought my UK Nokia phone with me - I was on Vodafone in the UK and I bought a Vodafone sim card in Oz - din't need to do any unlocking - it just worked.

Initial PAYG sim card cost $30 and included $20 of calls.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

tina, my answer same as hiddenpaw. first i went with aapt in sydney payg, think it was same price as virgin red sim who i'm with now up on the goldcoast. (aapt not nationwade coverage) cost of calls is 38c per min and 25c per text anywhere but you can choose the type of plan. texting is best, when you get a landline the calls can be very chaep to the uk $1 for 10 mins then 22c per min, or get a prepay card and ring from callbox, seen these advertised with calls for 3 or 4c per min. not tried myself. lots of different rates available, depends on what you think you'll use most.
all the best anyway
karen
Old Oct 31st 2003, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

here's a couple of unlocking sites I keep in my favourites

http://www.gsminside.com/unlocking/

http://www.unlockingmobiles.co.uk/remote.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.