Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mobile Phone Question

Mobile Phone Question

Old May 29th 2007, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

MightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to behold
Default Mobile Phone Question

Hi,
Has anyone been able to transfer a mobile phone contract without incurring any costs?
I'm 6mths into a 2yr contract with the 3 network - trying to avoid $500 costs (we're returning to the UK).
I've placed this on the classifieds
http://britishexpats.com/classifieds...hp?product=930
but just wondering if anyone has been able to do this???

MM
x

Last edited by MightyMouse; May 29th 2007 at 8:07 am.
Old May 29th 2007, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Nodge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mobile Phone Question

I'd be suprised if not amazed if you can do this.

I work in a Vodafone (AU) store and we can't take over another providers contract, all we can do is create a new one.

Your best bet would be to take your 3 price plan right down to the bare minimum (e.g least minutes, lowest price per month), you can normally do that after the 1st 9 months of connection (well you can with Vodafone).

Unfortunately it means paying for two contracts, but that's the cheapest way of getting out of a disconnection fee.

There is no need to take out a contract here, I obviously favour Vodafone and there are plenty of good Pay As You Go deals here with us. Other posters on here would have to tell you how good Telstra and Optus are as I don't have a clue
Old May 29th 2007, 8:40 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nodge
...Other posters on here would have to tell you how good Telstra and Optus are as I don't have a clue
Bloody awful is the answer to that... IMO only of course...
Old May 30th 2007, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

MightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nodge
I'd be suprised if not amazed if you can do this.

I work in a Vodafone (AU) store and we can't take over another providers contract, all we can do is create a new one.

Your best bet would be to take your 3 price plan right down to the bare minimum (e.g least minutes, lowest price per month), you can normally do that after the 1st 9 months of connection (well you can with Vodafone).

Unfortunately it means paying for two contracts, but that's the cheapest way of getting out of a disconnection fee.

There is no need to take out a contract here, I obviously favour Vodafone and there are plenty of good Pay As You Go deals here with us. Other posters on here would have to tell you how good Telstra and Optus are as I don't have a clue
It was the 3 customer service team who advised I get someone to take over the contract. Only problem is - I can't get my hands on anyone new to the country who simply wants a decent deal (IMO) for a mobile phone. Where are they all???
I'm pretty sure I can't reduce my cap - I think I was only able to increase it..so that probably doesn't help.
My problem is that the customer service team simply don't speak good English - nor do they understand my strong accent (even when talking V E R Y S L O W L Y....). It's a complete nightmare.

If anybody knows any newbies, please point them to my ad on classifieds...would make me VERY happy
Old May 30th 2007, 4:53 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MightyMouse
It was the 3 customer service team who advised I get someone to take over the contract. Only problem is - I can't get my hands on anyone new to the country who simply wants a decent deal (IMO) for a mobile phone. Where are they all???
I'm pretty sure I can't reduce my cap - I think I was only able to increase it..so that probably doesn't help.
My problem is that the customer service team simply don't speak good English - nor do they understand my strong accent (even when talking V E R Y S L O W L Y....). It's a complete nightmare.

If anybody knows any newbies, please point them to my ad on classifieds...would make me VERY happy
if we weren't planning to return to the UK i might of been interested, but alas we won't be here long enough
good luck with it though