Reload this Page >

Mobile phone quality UK vs Oz

Mobile phone quality UK vs Oz

Old Feb 4th 2013, 10:37 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobile phone quality UK vs Oz

Diff kettle of fish if you ask me.

I used a mobile phone a fair bit in the UK and I use it a lot now. I can be on the phone 3-4 hours of my day at times.

I also listen to London LBC (talk based radio) a lot on me PC/phone/whatever and the quality of calls I hear/have are faaaaar better here ...

I'm hearing more and more on the radio station in London presenters saying "Oh sorry that call is just too bad to continue", and the call dropped at start or half way through ... We used to call it 'Dalek sounding' and I say used as it just don't happen anymore! ...

Now we all use the Telstra network and without doubt the best, and ok I can appreciate there's prob 50 x more mobile phones being used in the centre of London than centre of Brisbane, but still.

I crushed me iPhone 5 in the car door the other day and am using Nic's 4s for now, and I miss the quality of the 5. I haven't worked out what dictates it, but every now and then on the 5 I'll have a call that the quality is another diff kettle of fish compared to 'normal' calls. Almost stereo sounding, but clarity is just awesome! As I say I dunno what it is as I've had there calls in 3G or 4G so can't be that.

Would be interested in finding out tho?!?!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile phone quality UK vs Oz

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Diff kettle of fish if you ask me.

I used a mobile phone a fair bit in the UK and I use it a lot now. I can be on the phone 3-4 hours of my day at times.

I also listen to London LBC (talk based radio) a lot on me PC/phone/whatever and the quality of calls I hear/have are faaaaar better here ...

I'm hearing more and more on the radio station in London presenters saying "Oh sorry that call is just too bad to continue", and the call dropped at start or half way through ... We used to call it 'Dalek sounding' and I say used as it just don't happen anymore! ...

Now we all use the Telstra network and without doubt the best, and ok I can appreciate there's prob 50 x more mobile phones being used in the centre of London than centre of Brisbane, but still.

I crushed me iPhone 5 in the car door the other day and am using Nic's 4s for now, and I miss the quality of the 5. I haven't worked out what dictates it, but every now and then on the 5 I'll have a call that the quality is another diff kettle of fish compared to 'normal' calls. Almost stereo sounding, but clarity is just awesome! As I say I dunno what it is as I've had there calls in 3G or 4G so can't be that.

Would be interested in finding out tho?!?!
I've tried listening to LBC at work.... They go on about the same subject for hours at a time... and people keep saying the same thing over and over. Drives me bloody nuts. I love hearing the traffic reports though.... All those blocked roads... get a real feeling of schadenfreude out of it. I think to myself... I'd much rather be here working night shift than stuck on that bloody M25 for hours on end trying to get home.

I wonder if they'll ever charge people for making phone in calls.... They seem to charge for every other bloody call to a company over there

It's one of the barometers I use for realising 'm more Aus than Brit now.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 1:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've tried listening to LBC at work.... They go on about the same subject for hours at a time... and people keep saying the same thing over and over. Drives me bloody nuts. I love hearing the traffic reports though.... All those blocked roads... get a real feeling of schadenfreude out of it. I think to myself... I'd much rather be here working night shift than stuck on that bloody M25 for hours on end trying to get home.

I wonder if they'll ever charge people for making phone in calls.... They seem to charge for every other bloody call to a company over there

It's one of the barometers I use for realising 'm more Aus than Brit now.
Nick Abbot, 7am - 10am weekends. I've followed this guy for years and now listen to his show out in the garden at the weekend

Do listen to other stuff and people but that's the ole cabbie in me ...
Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

150 odd views and that's it!

I never realised a clique could be so strong ...

Oh well, I have my PR now and all the rest so I hear you loud and clear.

See you in the next life! ...
Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:49 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

That's usually more to do with background noise and feedback than anything else. Even if you tell them to turn the radio off, there's always the idiots who will 'know better'.

As for yet another Oz vs UK rant - both countries use GSM/UMTS so the basics of the quality are the same. The point however is that GSM does compression on the sound to transmit it, and shares the available data bandwidth between simultaneous users. Therefore if there is a lot of background noise, that will eat into the available bandwidth for speech content. Also, if different codecs are used, or there is a lot of contention for the shared bandwidth space, then quality will be affected. The more people trying to call at the same time, or use data, or send SMS, the lower the quality that will be negotiated.

See http://www.chrisfriel.me.uk/chris/mobcom.doc for more info than you probably want.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:41 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Huh?
Old Feb 6th 2013, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

People always seem to jump to this conclusion on forums and for the most part they're wrong. The only clique ever worth it's salt is the "Friday night or Late Night Clique" They're universal to all social chit chat forums. Doesn't apply to this thread at all.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 6th 2013 at 1:16 am.