Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mobile phone PAYG or contracts?

Mobile phone PAYG or contracts?

Old Sep 13th 2008, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Mobile phone PAYG or contracts?

WHich do you use and why?
What is the BASIC difference in costs?
Who are the usual service providers?
In ME I use PAYG as everyone does here but had a contract in UK.

Who do you rec?

Thanks PP

PS I have a handset as all of them are sold unlocked here, and much cheaper. Do you generally get phones with a contract? Does that make any difference?
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Mobile phone PAYG or contracts?

Originally Posted by plantpot

Who do you rec?

Thanks PP

PS I have a handset as all of them are sold unlocked here, and much cheaper. Do you generally get phones with a contract? Does that make any difference?
bumping anyone...
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:17 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

i have a contract for phone with 3 , i pay $49 a month on the 49 cap as they call it. Got a nokia n95 (which was stolen while i was in hospital another story) with the contract. With this cap i get $350 of calls 100 of which can be international. I also get $350 to other 3 users (dont know any though lol), i also pay $5 a month for entertainment pack which gives me 1gb mobile internet on my phone and skype allowance of 4500 mins. I think i get a pretty good deal really!!
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
i have a contract for phone with 3 , i pay $49 a month on the 49 cap as they call it. Got a nokia n95 (which was stolen while i was in hospital another story) with the contract. With this cap i get $350 of calls 100 of which can be international. I also get $350 to other 3 users (dont know any though lol), i also pay $5 a month for entertainment pack which gives me 1gb mobile internet on my phone and skype allowance of 4500 mins. I think i get a pretty good deal really!!
I have heard 'cap' before, does that mean for example you pay 25$ cap ypu cant spend more than 23$ a month? Or just for your 25/35/49$ etc you get a certain package?

And can you ring anyone on Skype free from your mobile?
IS the addicional $350 dollars annual to other users etc?

Sorry I have been out of the Uk for a while and I don't know how this compares (not that that is useful to compare anyway) but currently I pay 12£ a year to subscribe, and use around £20-25 a month Maximum...

I get nothing else free...are the PAYG similar as that might curb my itchy fingers....or are they a bit rubbish compared to contracts?
PP
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

I use Vodafone PAYG because I can use my minutes to call overseas. I do the $49 dollar cap which gives me $330 of calls every month. I usually check my balance a week or so before my credit expires (it only lasts a month) then call everyone in Ireland/the UK over the last week. The credit goes a long way - in fact it seems to be only marginally more expensive to have a 30 minute chat with friends in England then it is to do the same to someone here in Oz!

Once you have a contract you still get the same amount of credit for your monthly charge, but you can't use your credit to call overseas so it's a no-brainer for me.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:49 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Who do you rec?

Thanks PP

I am on a contract with vodafone, only because I couldnt afford the phone I wanted - the Nokia N95 - bloody marvellous phone.

I pay $49 a month and get $310 worth of calls and I can call my husband unlimited and for free.

It suits me, I could not have afforded the $800 it would have cost for my phone.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 12:19 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

I have heard 'cap' before, does that mean for example you pay 25$ cap ypu cant spend more than 23$ a month? Or just for your 25/35/49$ etc you get a certain package?

And can you ring anyone on Skype free from your mobile?
IS the addicional $350 dollars annual to other users etc?

Sorry I have been out of the Uk for a while and I don't know how this compares (not that that is useful to compare anyway) but currently I pay 12£ a year to subscribe, and use around £20-25 a month Maximum...

I get nothing else free...are the PAYG similar as that might curb my itchy fingers....or are they a bit rubbish compared to contracts?
PP

basically i can make calls and texts up to 350 and all i pay is 49 if i go over i am charged per minute as you would be pn payg etc. Not bad really and as pp said i couldnt afford an n95 so was a great way of getting the phone, which i now longer have :curse:
Old Sep 14th 2008, 12:33 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

basically i can make calls and texts up to 350 and all i pay is 49 if i go over i am charged per minute as you would be pn payg etc. Not bad really and as pp said i couldnt afford an n95 so was a great way of getting the phone, which i now longer have :curse:
I totally love my phone

Best phone I have ever had.

What happened to yours?
Old Sep 14th 2008, 2:02 pm
looking for my marbles

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I totally love my phone

Best phone I have ever had.

What happened to yours?
i was in public hospital lay on a trolley in a corridor, it either fell out of bag (which i doubt it was zipped up) or someone took it out of my bag while i was asleep either way its gone didnt have mobile insurance either i should claim against the hospital as after it went i could hear nurses making everyone sign disclaimers about propety!
Old Sep 14th 2008, 2:07 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
I use Vodafone PAYG because I can use my minutes to call overseas. I do the $49 dollar cap which gives me $330 of calls every month. I usually check my balance a week or so before my credit expires (it only lasts a month) then call everyone in Ireland/the UK over the last week. The credit goes a long way - in fact it seems to be only marginally more expensive to have a 30 minute chat with friends in England then it is to do the same to someone here in Oz!

Once you have a contract you still get the same amount of credit for your monthly charge, but you can't use your credit to call overseas so it's a no-brainer for me.
Exactly what my OH does. Best deal going (if you dont want an all bells whistles phone)
Old Sep 14th 2008, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Exactly what my OH does. Best deal going (if you dont want an all bells whistles phone)
So I have a phone, I use skype on the computer so is it cost effective to get a PAYG for me or is a contract better where I get free mins per month?

Whaddya think?
Old Sep 15th 2008, 2:42 am
looking for my marbles

So I have a phone, I use skype on the computer so is it cost effective to get a PAYG for me or is a contract better where I get free mins per month?

Whaddya think?
depends how often u skype, t just means you can skype while your out and about, i would wait til your here they way it up. They will want 100 points of id for a cap phone x
Old Sep 15th 2008, 2:44 am
looking for my marbles

Whaddya think?
you need a phone thast is skype enabled too!
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

you need a phone thast is skype enabled too!
100 id points? What's that?

Why do I need skype enabled phone, cant I do it through my macbook?

Gawd, head spinning.....

Pp
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

got my jesus phone on a $79 cap with Optus.

GIves me about one million dollars of credit and 700Mb of data a month. Doesn't include Intl calls, sadly but does include Intl SMS at 50c a pop!

Always had a contract as i cant be trusted to keep a PAYG topped up with credit all the time...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.