Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

mobile phone networks

mobile phone networks

Old Dec 26th 2006, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

fadgefieldclose is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking mobile phone networks

were landing in brisbane early jan and will be getting mobiles pretty handy. just wondered if any1 out there knows of any decent offers on monthly contracts ? also, if anybody knows if certain networks are better than others for ringing home, texts or the like we,d love to hear from you. thanks derek n pat.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 6:23 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of
Default Re: mobile phone networks

Originally Posted by fadgefieldclose
were landing in brisbane early jan and will be getting mobiles pretty handy. just wondered if any1 out there knows of any decent offers on monthly contracts ? also, if anybody knows if certain networks are better than others for ringing home, texts or the like we,d love to hear from you. thanks derek n pat.
Telstra has the best coverage and hence so do 3 as they use them for roaming, then Optus, then Vodafone. Check your area to make sure you are covered. Its not like the uk where you can expect coverage.

Then decide on your plan and monthly budget. You may want to look at a triple play deal where they bundle landline, mobile and broadband... Most of the tariffs are pretty similar, they just lock you in to 18month contracts... As for the best, depends on what you want, call mix, texts, overseas, or a free handset etc.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 7:08 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fadgefieldclose
You might find it a little difficult to get contract phones straight away... Many people go with the pay as you go phones and then upgrade to monthly contract later... You can keep the same number...
Old Dec 26th 2006, 7:11 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: mobile phone networks

Originally Posted by rodders39
You might find it a little difficult to get contract phones straight away... Many people go with the pay as you go phones and then upgrade to monthly contract later... You can keep the same number...
When I was in Oz last month I bought a $30 PAYG Optus deal to put in my UK phone. This translated into $120 of calls and lasted me for ever - even though I called Mrs Buzzy in New Zealand several times. In the end I called my Dad in the UK for 30 minutes before I got on the plane to use up the remaining credit!

Buzzy
Old Dec 26th 2006, 7:24 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
When I was in Oz last month I bought a $30 PAYG Optus deal to put in my UK phone. This translated into $120 of calls and lasted me for ever - even though I called Mrs Buzzy in New Zealand several times. In the end I called my Dad in the UK for 30 minutes before I got on the plane to use up the remaining credit!

Buzzy
Yup, that's the ones we have... And you can do Int'l roaming with them all over Europe, etc... but not in NZ...!

I'm hoping that mobile phones is one of the things that will change here soon... the rates per 30 sec slot are really quite high and the idea of a flagfall seems very strange...!
Old Dec 26th 2006, 9:03 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rodders39
I'm hoping that mobile phones is one of the things that will change here soon... the rates per 30 sec slot are really quite high and the idea of a flagfall seems very strange...!
Very unlikly to. They dont make enough money as is! These tatics are set to increase as stealthy ways of making cash whilst giving larger and larger caps away.... I would think this is going to happen more elsewhere!

I'd long for my tarriff on Orange in the UK with per-second billing and no charges at all for the first 3 seconds of any call!! Fantastic for those people who have voicemail you dont want to leave a message.