Mobile Internet Connection / Wifi upon arrival in Oz

Mobile Internet Connection / Wifi upon arrival in Oz

Old Oct 15th 2008, 11:44 am
nya
Forum Regular

nya is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Mobile Internet Connection / Wifi upon arrival in Oz

Hello all,

We've just had our visas through and are going to validate in December. We are then planning to move out asap after that, hopefully within 3 mnoths from December.

Now my question is: Will I be able to already set up a wireless broadband / mobile wireless account for my laptop while I am out there in December, or will I need apermanent Australian address to set up anything like that? The reason is that for work (i'm self-employed) I'll need to be online and up and running the monute we land in Oz permanently. So I was hoping I can already get a modem and connection in December during our holiday, but we'll obviuosly not have an Australian address yet.

And also, can anyone recommend any wireless broadband plans? I was looknig at iburst but not sure which one is best and mroe importantly if I can already set all that up in December before moving out permanently.

Many thanks for your replies, and congratulations to everyone else who had their visas come through!
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

gavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nice
Default Re: Mobile Internet Connection / Wifi upon arrival in Oz

Another option could be......

Some people I know just got out here and they bought a '3' USB Modem Dongle from the UK before they left and it works no problem here on their laptop... Great rates as well, I was surprised.

Have a look at: http://www.three.co.uk/personal/prod...rice_plans.omp

Go in and ask specifically if it will work in Australia before you buy and ask about tariffs etc. Also worth speaking to Vodafone, as they are out here as well.

Good luck and congratulations on the Visa! It’s bloody lovely down under!!!

Last edited by gavstrad; Oct 15th 2008 at 10:35 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

dogscogs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mobile Internet Connection / Wifi upon arrival in Oz

Shortly after I got here, I bought an Optus PAYG wireless broadband stick. it's 30 dollars for 2 gig of usage. Telstra and 3 do similar plans here I think.

I bought the USB stick (came with 2 gig "free") from BigW in Erina Fair for 200 dollars if I recall correctly.

You won't be downloading any movies on it but it's worked quite admirably from email to skype. There are several reasons why I'd go for a contract over payg if you are going to use this for any significant period of time, but as a stop gap until you get proper Broadband, it's hard to beat.

The 30 dollars credit lasted us almost a month (which is handy, because unless you buy 70 dollars worth / 6 gig, it runs out after 30 days)