Mobile calls

Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

gillnbri has a brilliant futuregillnbri has a brilliant futuregillnbri has a brilliant futuregillnbri has a brilliant futuregillnbri has a brilliant futuregillnbri has a brilliant futuregillnbri has a brilliant future
Default Mobile calls

Can anyone give us an idea of what network to use once we get to Brisbane. We're taking our own phone because we've heard they're quite expensive in Oz, but would like to know which is the best PAYG network.

Thanks
Gill
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:13 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile calls

It'll depend on how many friends you have, same network etc, and how many calls you make.

The larger prepay you buy, the longer it lasts ( 120 days .. )

We've got virgin as it cheap to call each other

http://virginmobile.com.au/rates/prepaid.html

You can go monthly plan, which they call a cap plan here. You pay $49 a month, get $230 days of calls, but no carry over.

Most stores are tied to one network, but there are ones like 'all mobiles' which will do all. Just add the Sim, and go.

Make sure you're phones are unlocked from the network b4 you get here.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Bonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to all

I would buy a Bubble card initially, call home alot cheaper..
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:21 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Go online and have a look at the packages for PASYG from Optus, Vodafone and Virgin.

Realistically there isnt much difference between them I reckon. Its different flavours of the same. What one gives you the other takes away.

I wouldnt bother getting tied into a contract though until you've really decided your needs.

Personally I've never run out of credit on the $49 maxicap from vodafone. Get something silly like $250 of calls and 300 texts included per month.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:45 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I use exetel www.exetel.com.au it's not prepaid but has not contract and only a min $5 a month spend.

Originally Posted by gillnbri
Can anyone give us an idea of what network to use once we get to Brisbane. We're taking our own phone because we've heard they're quite expensive in Oz, but would like to know which is the best PAYG network.

Thanks
Gill
Old Aug 10th 2007, 4:59 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

We have switched to three ( and if you are on three in the uk you can bring you calling rates with you.) But for $49 a month we get calls and 500mb mobile broadband which is great connected to the laptop.

I also have truphone installed on my nokia e65 and call the uk for free using this with great quality.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 6:39 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

More likly depends on what coverage you need. If you are in the Metro then alll the above are ok, outside the metro and Telstra has better coverage.
Best network for cost depends on your useage and call types. VF and Optus/virgin Prepay are all good. VF are changing their Prepay Maxi-Cap on the 1st sep and looks very attractive
Old Oct 21st 2007, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

So does that mean a non-Telstra connected phone may not be able to receive and make calls at the Sunshine Coast?
Old Oct 21st 2007, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We are on the three network too. On the $49 cap you get $300 of calls and 200 mins free calls to other three phones. You can also use these minutes to call anyone on the three network in the UK, and failing that you can use up to $120 of your cap on international calls. This is invaluable to me as one of our daughters lives in France.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 12:05 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Caps are just a marketing con. $300 worth of calls maybe, but the calls are overpriced.

Originally Posted by mand8002
We are on the three network too. On the $49 cap you get $300 of calls and 200 mins free calls to other three phones. You can also use these minutes to call anyone on the three network in the UK, and failing that you can use up to $120 of your cap on international calls. This is invaluable to me as one of our daughters lives in France.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
Caps are just a marketing con. $300 worth of calls maybe, but the calls are overpriced.
They may be overpriced but with the free calls to other three mobiles it costs me less than my vodafone pay as you go ever did which is all I am bothered about.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 12:03 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by themerlin
So are the plans! And there you are paying real dollars $$$ every time you make a call not just a "cap dollar"
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 12:11 am

My mobile bill is $5 a month, so getting $300 worth of calls for $50 a month is still going to cost an extra $45

Originally Posted by mark213
So are the plans! And there you are paying real dollars $$$ every time you make a call not just a "cap dollar"
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

The Apple iPhone will be arriving in Oz next year so, depending upon your data requirements, this may also be an option

Having said that, based on US and UK pricing and tarifs, I suspect most people will not be in a position (myself included ) to come to the iPhone party

BTW I'm currently on Vodafone $29 cap which offers $130 worth of calls and 100 'free' texts. Good value for money IMO
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 2:44 am

lol I'm tight, pay $5 a month wife is on the same network so we can ring each other for free (first 2 mins of each call).

The screen looks a bit fragile on those iphones, I would worry about breaking it.

Originally Posted by tictac
BTW I'm currently on Vodafone $29 cap which offers $130 worth of calls and 100 'free' texts. Good value for money IMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.