Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mobile Broadband Caboolture.

Mobile Broadband Caboolture.

Old Jul 23rd 2013, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

shycouple2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobile Broadband Caboolture.

My Daughter will be on her way to Caboolture Wednesday next week.

She is looking at the Vodafone USB dongle at the moment for her internet connection
Can any one shed light on the signal strength in Caboolture and maybe suggest a better option with a different provider as there are so many different options.........Oh she is going prepaid for now.

Thanks.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 9:57 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Broadband Caboolture.

Originally Posted by shycouple2009
My Daughter will be on her way to Caboolture Wednesday next week.

She is looking at the Vodafone USB dongle at the moment for her internet connection
Can any one shed light on the signal strength in Caboolture and maybe suggest a better option with a different provider as there are so many different options.........Oh she is going prepaid for now.

Thanks.
Have you logged on to the Vodaphone/Testra/Optus etc website to check coverage area. It will give a fairly good idea-just input the address. Signal strength may depend on varying factors.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

I lived on Bribie Island till late last year and had a vodafone service on a Samsung Galaxy Note. Reception is fine around Caboolture itself but between there and Brisbane it is very patchy indeed and would very quickly drop out South of Morayfield or on leaving Caboolture heading West to Wamuran.

Depends where the towers are, we had great reception on Bribie as they had just built a tower right on Pumicestone Passage and when I used my mobile as a portable WiFi hotspot (just as an experiment, I had ADSL anyway) it was powering the web almost as fast as the landline.

However, what suburb will she be living / travelling in?

I'd be very suspicious of Voda's coverage map, I had no coverage when I moved here and got out of my contract after taking it to the Telecomms ombudsman. Voda said I had coverage according to my maps. Yeah right.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Second part of your question:
Really, Telstra is the way to go.

If she has a smartphone such as a Galaxy S2 3 or 4 preferably not on a contract (I'll get back to that point shortly), she can easily set the phone as a mobile WiFi hotspot - in other words the phone also becomes a dongle and will rebroadcast to any of her devices that can pick it up.

If she has a laptop it will already have built in reception and will be able to pick it up, as if she's sitting in Maccas or anywhere else with WiFi.

If she is using a desktop then she'll need something like a D-link USB adaptor which she plugs in, just like at home to pick up your broadband WiFi router that sits on top of the kitchen cupboard (whatever) where the phone line comes in.

In that case the best plan at the moment is to go with Aldi. They use Telstra's network and for $35 a month prepaid you get unlimited phone calls plus 5 gb of data on Telstra's 3g network. Starter pack from Aldi - there are several in the area, register the sim and get your home page set up and away you go, she can keep her existing number.

If she has a phone on a contract with another provider, however, then back to square one unfortunately.

Unless she's raiding Pirate Bay or watching miniseries on BitTorrent that's more than enough and far better than any of the packages she'll get with buying a dongle on a contract where you only get a couple of gig.

Edit: I'm not sure if iPhones can be used this way, someone else might be able to advise, I'm Androidian

Edit Edit:
Further clarification - if she uses Aldi (for example) and uses her phone as a "dongle" then she won't need to spend $115 or whatever on buying one, and will only have one payment a month, not separate payments to phone company and dongle company.

Last edited by Mike at Taree; Jul 25th 2013 at 12:15 am. Reason: further clarification