Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

MMR & OTHER PRE-SCHOOL BOOSTERS

MMR & OTHER PRE-SCHOOL BOOSTERS

Old Feb 8th 2006, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

greggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of light
Default MMR & OTHER PRE-SCHOOL BOOSTERS

Hi - I wonder if anyone can let me know of their experiences with the above. We are due to arrive in Brisbane in early May and our daughter will be 3 years & 8 months. GP surgery over here has said she will be too young to have the boosters before we leave as their protocol states 4 or over. Has anyone else had the boosters once they arrived in Aus - Are they all the same vaccinations ?

Any advice appreciated

JO .
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future
Default Re: MMR & OTHER PRE-SCHOOL BOOSTERS

Originally Posted by greggsy
Hi - I wonder if anyone can let me know of their experiences with the above. We are due to arrive in Brisbane in early May and our daughter will be 3 years & 8 months. GP surgery over here has said she will be too young to have the boosters before we leave as their protocol states 4 or over. Has anyone else had the boosters once they arrived in Aus - Are they all the same vaccinations ?

Any advice appreciated

JO .
Hi Jo
When we arrived our youngest was 13 months old and although he had had his 2/3/4 month imms he hadn't had his MMR (we didn't want to risk the high temps and grizzles just before leaving) When we got here I made an appointment with a GP and took along the red book. He went through it very carefully as there are immunisations given in UK that aren't given here and vice versa. He made a list of what we needed and gave the MMR on the same day then the others over the next few months. It was straight forward and free. You will also have the option of a chicken pox immunisation ($50).
He has also suggested I bring in the red books of my other children to see if there is anything extra they require, although, there was no probs when registering them at school- they just photocopied what was there.
Anyway, no need to worry. Just see a GP when you want the MMR to be done.
Cheeers
Yvonne
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

The only difference that we found was that you can have the chicken pox jab and also the babies all get hep B here . Our older kids will get the Hep B at secondary school but our youngest has had to have it now as thye have moved it into the baby vaccinations. She will have her pre school booster any time this year as she is now 4 and will start school next Feb.
I have found it all very straightforward here and the red books from the UK really help avoid any confusion.
Good luck.
Nicky
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:37 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by YFitz
He went through it very carefully as there are immunisations given in UK that aren't given here and vice versa
I believe that at the child welfare centre we were told that the immunisations were pretty much the same and its only the chicken pox one that our daughter was missing .. they said we can just keep our red book and they will use that like it was used in the uk

i may be wrong but i though the chicken pox was also free

edit: nicky you beat me to it!!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cam_uk
I believe that at the child welfare centre we were told that the immunisations were pretty much the same and its only the chicken pox one that our daughter was missing .. they said we can just keep our red book and they will use that like it was used in the uk

i may be wrong but i though the chicken pox was also free

edit: nicky you beat me to it!!

Can't find my imms certificate to hand to see what was given but I do know that other than the MMR we went back on 2 more occassions- so there was def more to be given than what had already been given in UK. We chose not to have the chicken pox done but it was $50 if we did. Perhaps if you go to a Dr who bulk bills then you don't have to pay.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:54 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by YFitz
Perhaps if you go to a Dr who bulk bills then you don't have to pay.
Wierd!

it was actually at the child welfare clinic in wynnum .. maybe we should pop to a gp for a second opinion