Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mmmm.........but what when we get there

Mmmm.........but what when we get there

Old Feb 1st 2004, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mmmm.........but what when we get there

OK - visas in passports, flights booked to Bris (16th August), so what do we do when we get there????

Just wondered what people have done for initial accommodation on arrival and how long it tends to take to set up a 6-12 month rental? Anyone experience of dealing with real estate agents when still in UK? Any info would be appreciated.

Muzzman
Old Feb 1st 2004, 8:54 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mmmm.........but what when we get there

Originally posted by Muzzman
OK - visas in passports, flights booked to Bris (16th August), so what do we do when we get there????

Just wondered what people have done for initial accommodation on arrival and how long it tends to take to set up a 6-12 month rental? Anyone experience of dealing with real estate agents when still in UK? Any info would be appreciated.

Muzzman

Is it cheaper to book the flights now or will it get cheaper closer to the time? We are going around then too and were thinking of booking flights after we know the meds are ok next week.

..there was a thread about the rentals a few weeks ago and it said that agents were relucatant to talk to you until you were there.

Max
Old Feb 1st 2004, 9:00 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by maxpaxx
Is it cheaper to book the flights now or will it get cheaper closer to the time? We are going around then too and were thinking of booking flights after we know the meds are ok next week.

..there was a thread about the rentals a few weeks ago and it said that agents were relucatant to talk to you until you were there.

Max
Flight prices can vary for all sorts of reasons.Worth keeping a check on them and buying when it seems good to you.

Also worth trying several different agents as prices can vary greatly for the same flight.Sometimes it gets dearer nearer the time if all the 'cheap' seats are gone.
Also depends on how many of you there are as it can get difficult for larger numbers nearer the time.
Just going on my own experience.

Good luck

G
Old Feb 1st 2004, 9:18 pm

Originally posted by Grayling
Flight prices can vary for all sorts of reasons.Worth keeping a check on them and buying when it seems good to you.

Also worth trying several different agents as prices can vary greatly for the same flight.Sometimes it gets dearer nearer the time if all the 'cheap' seats are gone.
Also depends on how many of you there are as it can get difficult for larger numbers nearer the time.
Just going on my own experience.

Good luck

G
Thanks G,

Yeah we were thinking that way. Also if we don't commit to a date it will be hard for Ed to have a cut-off point from work and walk away from commision!

Any ideas on the best agents would be good - so far I've checked out Airline network who seem quite reasonable.

Whats everyones opinion on wether to go direct or stopover? I have never actually flown direct but now with the kids don't know if it's better just to get the whole lot over and done with or wether it's too much for them?

Max
Old Feb 1st 2004, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

bazfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
to get the double baggage allowance, i don't think you can do a stopover.that is what we have been told. Hard to know with kids what is best, just have 24 hours of hell, or have 2 chunks of hell! still as we want the extra baggage, the choice is made!
i have found www.oztalk.com very helpful and knowledgeable.
i have applied for a bank account with the commonwealth bank and Qantas do a special flight price for migrant account holders. have to say i was totally unimpressed with the guy on the Qantas information line however a nice lady in reserations at Heathrow was very helpful.
hth
Old Feb 1st 2004, 9:42 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Muzzman

agents in OZ are tosspots, TELLEM wot u want !! seriously
Old Feb 1st 2004, 9:52 pm

Originally posted by bazfer
Hi
to get the double baggage allowance, i don't think you can do a stopover.that is what we have been told. Hard to know with kids what is best, just have 24 hours of hell, or have 2 chunks of hell! still as we want the extra baggage, the choice is made!
i have found www.oztalk.com very helpful and knowledgeable.
i have applied for a bank account with the commonwealth bank and Qantas do a special flight price for migrant account holders. have to say i was totally unimpressed with the guy on the Qantas information line however a nice lady in reserations at Heathrow was very helpful.
hth

Yes we have just sent off our application for a Commonwealth A/C and I have that flier here with the offer. I was wondering if it was still valid as have had it since June! I will give them a call too. Think your'e right one chunk of hell is better than 2! I guess they may sleep if we get a night flight!
Old Feb 1st 2004, 9:57 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by maxpaxx
Thanks G,

Yeah we were thinking that way. Also if we don't commit to a date it will be hard for Ed to have a cut-off point from work and walk away from commision!

Any ideas on the best agents would be good - so far I've checked out Airline network who seem quite reasonable.

Whats everyones opinion on wether to go direct or stopover? I have never actually flown direct but now with the kids don't know if it's better just to get the whole lot over and done with or wether it's too much for them?

Max
Max
I ALWAYS use Airline Network and do 3/4 long haul flights a year US/AUS/NZ

They are as good as any and have always done a good deal for me.You sometimes see 'Cheaper' adverts but ,in my experience they always come out cheaper (and more efficient) when it comes to booking.

One tip. Although they sometimes say you can not prebook seats I've found that a direct call to the Airline usually gets you what you want.Don't leave it too long beforehand though.
I usually go with Singapore airlines or New Zealand air or Delta.(all part of the same group).

Direct is Ok if you are young and do not have kids.I am Older
So tend to stop off in Singapore. If you stop over with Singapore airlines they do cheap hotel rates and put on a free tour bus (hop on/off).
I recommend the Orchard Hotel but others are just as good.

Good luck

G
Old Feb 1st 2004, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Muzzman

Hiya Muzzman,
Have you had a look at this? www.happykoalahomes.com we've booked with them for the first three weeks, though its much more expensive than an average rental, as the houses are furnished it'll give us a chance to look for longer term property without worrying about emergency shopping!
We're not there yet but have had quite a bit of contact with the couple who run it and they've been super helpful. They're coming to pick us up from the airport and provide extras like a grocery pack, necesary forms for medicare etc and a local info guide.
If you're interested but want to wait and see how we find them send me a PM and I'll let you know, we arrive there 22nd feb.

Michaela
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 1:30 am
ABCDiamond

Muzzman
I've just done some checking on furnished accommodation in this area, and come up with $110 per night for a 4 week stay for something suitable for 2adults and 2 kids. mcmercer's recommendation seems better value than what I have found.

If it is just a couple, wanting cheaper spartan accommodation, then the Formula 1 motel at Brisbane Airport is only about $59 per night.

I'm beginning to think about buying a bigger place and renting rooms out

I can recommend a Real Estate agent in my area, but only the one! My experiences with most of them leave a bad taste in my mouth. But this one I can describe as the old fashioned type.
I can PM you his details if required.

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 2:17 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

If you're gonna travel round different suburbs and arn't sure where you are going to settle, join the big four camping/ caravan club thingy.
They do family sized cabins with TV, vids, air con, often pools and games rooms etc. The best thing about this is that you are not tied into anything and they also have all the equipment that you need, (crockery, bedding, towels etc) untill your shipment arrives. try
www.bigfour.com.au