Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mmm...What car to buy?

Mmm...What car to buy?

Old Oct 13th 2009, 12:30 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Mmm...What car to buy?

I would buy a Polo (diesel Pacific or Petrol GTI)
Old Oct 13th 2009, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
Useful thread for many of us who will move to OZ.

We are a family of five and we're thinking about the Holden Calais VX II. Any opinions or experiences please?
Holdens are absolute rubbish.

Buy a Ford, either a Fairmont in previous models or the current one is the G6
Old Oct 13th 2009, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lee_h View Post
For the car? My 2002 Corolla has done 266,000 km's and is still going well. I've been looking at the Hyundai i30 diesel for when i change though. 4.7 litres per 100 k's can't be bad. Good reviews too.

Oh yeah, a 3 yr unlimited warranty too.
I have heard good reports about the i30 too, I would put it in your look at list. How about any feedback from people who have used Hyundai dealers/service in oz? The Getz is really cheap now as it is getting phazed out and will be replaced by the i20 made in India.

The new Toyotas just don't feel as well made as the older ones but a suppose that's the same with everything.

Am I right in assuming that Holdens in Oz are the up to the same standard as Vauxhall in UK?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 2:11 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gmralston View Post
Am I right in assuming that Holdens in Oz are the up to the same standard as Vauxhall in UK?
Yep, just as crap
Old Oct 13th 2009, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by johnnyx0 View Post
Yep, just as crap
hell, I wrote that wrong, it should be

Am I right in assuming that Holdens in Oz are not up to the same standard as Vauxhall in UK?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

I bought a i30 CRDi in July new from JH. Now clocked up approx 4,000k's and very happy with it. Have only got the base model with manual gearbox but comes with 4xEW, decent stereo with USB input so no need for CD autochanger, traction control & ESP as std. Could do with cruise as std but over than that it is well specced. Is pretty nippy if you keep it on the turbo and handles well considering the diesel lump in the front. Previously owned a Skoda Fabia vRS in the UK and this felt very nose heavy through bends in comparison. Generally just use it to and fro work and travelling in metro areas but returns approx 750kms for $50 fuel.
Test drove the Corolla before I got the i30 but it felt dull in comparison and you had to rev it to get any performance. No ESP as std either.
Hopefully reasonable resale value in a few years.
My first Korean car, but so far very happy with it
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

polly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant future

great thread - we're in the same boat too

new or used - that is the question
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Sometimes you can get a good 2nd private sale. We purchased a near new Focus Zetec privately when we arrived for $19k, after 2 years and 35,000kms we got $12.5k trade in and the car had it advertised for $17.5k and it went very quickly. I would have sold it privately except it had one or two faults and we wanted to change quickly.
There isn't the same levels of depreciation that happens in the UK on most cars so buying new here does make more sense than the UK.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyx0 View Post
Yep, just as crap
Actually that's a bit unfair these days as most Holdens are built in Korea - they may still be a bit naff but at least they should be reliable.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sr71 View Post
Actually that's a bit unfair these days as most Holdens are built in Korea - they may still be a bit naff but at least they should be reliable.

Holden HSV commodore is Jeremy Clarkson's best bang for buck car in the whole world, you will not be able to get a more powerful car for the 70k or so they cost. The new commodores are pretty good machines, and yes maybe or maybe not it's the Korean build quality, still designed in Australia though.

I have a new Mitsubishi lancer, great car, and would advise anyone to buy Japanese here, the cars are great, and along with parts and service are reasonable priced. Get a Hyundai even if you can be seen driving in one, good cars. Don't bother with European cars unless you're rich, as they're expensive to service and replace parts.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaiboy View Post
Thanks guys, keep your comments coming... Specially maybe on service and its cost though with new car there should not be many issues...
Ive driven many different cars and the Toyota Camry is my personal fave to drive although theyre not very attractive. I own a Holden and havent had any dramas in the 9 years Ive owned it. Toyotas, Hondas and Mazdas are the top three IMO. If I didnt use trailers so much, I would get a hatchback for sure.