Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mmm...What car to buy?

Mmm...What car to buy?

Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

MeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant future
Default Mmm...What car to buy?

Hey guys,

I may have to buy a car and I would like to know your experiences with Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Ford, Holden, Kia as I am looking at buying new or nearly new Toyota Yaris, Honda Jazz, Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta, Holden Barina or Astra or Kia Rio.

Your opinions, good or bad on the above brands and cars and service and maybe even resale value would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mmm...What car to buy?

Originally Posted by Dubaiboy View Post
Hey guys,

I may have to buy a car and I would like to know your experiences with Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Ford, Holden, Kia as I am looking at buying new or nearly new Toyota Yaris, Honda Jazz, Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta, Holden Barina or Astra or Kia Rio.

Your opinions, good or bad on the above brands and cars and service and maybe even resale value would be appreciated.

Thanks

I own a Mazda 3. It dpends on your taste actually. ...
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Toyota and Honda for resale

Probably all down to your personal tastes - the only ones i wouldn't buy would be the Holden and Kia
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71 View Post
Toyota and Honda for resale

Probably all down to your personal tastes - the only ones i wouldn't buy would be the Holden and Kia
Nailed it - I would add Mazda 3 for resale value too, so I am told anyway
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

MeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant future

Thanks guys, keep your comments coming... Specially maybe on service and its cost though with new car there should not be many issues...
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

I had a Mazda 3 back in the UK and it was great. I had it 4 years and never had any problems (well, apart from when some fool drove into the back of me)

If I was buying small (I didn't, I bought myself a Golf GTI when I moved here), I'd be going for a Ford Fiesta or a Mazda 2.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:37 am
Canary who flew the nest

NCFC is on a distinguished road

I bought a one year old Mazda 3 and drove Perth - Albany - Esperance - Kalgoorlie - Perth - Broome then back down to Bunbury when i first arrived.

I was strictly a VW bloke back in England but with the lack of VW dealerships over this side thought against buying one.

Had it a couple of years now, never let me down and keep it regularly serviced (very reasonably priced) and the only item changed outside the services was the drive belt. Love it

John
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:50 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Toyota or Mazda. No question....
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

lee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cookiestar View Post
I had a Mazda 3 back in the UK and it was great. I had it 4 years and never had any problems (well, apart from when some fool drove into the back of me)
And did you get the pay out for whiplash? "Where there's blame there's a claim". Isn't that what they all say over there?

For the car? My 2002 Corolla has done 266,000 km's and is still going well. I've been looking at the Hyundai i30 diesel for when i change though. 4.7 litres per 100 k's can't be bad. Good reviews too.

Oh yeah, a 3 yr unlimited warranty too.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Good point, I thought about the I30 too...
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Pharaoh is an unknown quantity at this point

Useful thread for many of us who will move to OZ.

We are a family of five and we're thinking about the Holden Calais VX II. Any opinions or experiences please?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:59 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Can't beat Jap cars, best of these Toyota or try stretching to a Subaru, well worth it
Old Oct 13th 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lee_h View Post
And did you get the pay out for whiplash? "Where there's blame there's a claim". Isn't that what they all say over there?
Don't be silly. I claimed for the repairs and a courtesy car while mine was being fixed and that's all.

We had an i30 as a hire car when we first arrived here. It didn't feel very substantial to be honest. I'd definitely go for a Mazda over one of them.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

lee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cookiestar View Post
Don't be silly. I claimed for the repairs and a courtesy car while mine was being fixed and that's all.

We had an i30 as a hire car when we first arrived here. It didn't feel very substantial to be honest. I'd definitely go for a Mazda over one of them.
I've read a few reviews about the i30 but never driven one yet. Some reviews even go as far as to say that if the badges were covered up they'd think it was a German car. That must be a complement. What do you mean "It didn't feel substantial" ? I thought they had lots of spec. Was your hire car the basic model? I'm not doubting your experience....just wondered.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

It comes in one petrol model AFAIK. We had the 2.0l petrol one. The auto box was frustrating. Really clunky and not great at all, plus not much grunt to the engine. And a bit of road noise too. It just felt overall a little bit flimsy too - I wouldn't want to crash in it. This is in comparison to my old Mazda and my current Golf.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.