British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Mmm...What car to buy? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/mmm-what-car-buy-635423/)

MeinMel Oct 13th 2009 7:02 am

Mmm...What car to buy?

Hey guys,

I may have to buy a car and I would like to know your experiences with Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Ford, Holden, Kia as I am looking at buying new or nearly new Toyota Yaris, Honda Jazz, Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta, Holden Barina or Astra or Kia Rio.

Your opinions, good or bad on the above brands and cars and service and maybe even resale value would be appreciated.

Thanks

E3only Oct 13th 2009 7:06 am

Re: Mmm...What car to buy?

Originally Posted by Dubaiboy (Post 8012123)
Hey guys,

I may have to buy a car and I would like to know your experiences with Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Ford, Holden, Kia as I am looking at buying new or nearly new Toyota Yaris, Honda Jazz, Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta, Holden Barina or Astra or Kia Rio.

Your opinions, good or bad on the above brands and cars and service and maybe even resale value would be appreciated.

Thanks

I own a Mazda 3. It dpends on your taste actually. ...

sr71 Oct 13th 2009 7:26 am

Toyota and Honda for resale

Probably all down to your personal tastes - the only ones i wouldn't buy would be the Holden and Kia

E3only Oct 13th 2009 7:31 am

Originally Posted by sr71 (Post 8012161)
Toyota and Honda for resale

Probably all down to your personal tastes - the only ones i wouldn't buy would be the Holden and Kia

Nailed it - I would add Mazda 3 for resale value too, so I am told anyway;)

MeinMel Oct 13th 2009 7:31 am

Thanks guys, keep your comments coming... Specially maybe on service and its cost though with new car there should not be many issues...

cookiestar Oct 13th 2009 7:33 am

I had a Mazda 3 back in the UK and it was great. I had it 4 years and never had any problems (well, apart from when some fool drove into the back of me)

If I was buying small (I didn't, I bought myself a Golf GTI when I moved here), I'd be going for a Ford Fiesta or a Mazda 2.

NCFC Oct 13th 2009 7:37 am

I bought a one year old Mazda 3 and drove Perth - Albany - Esperance - Kalgoorlie - Perth - Broome then back down to Bunbury when i first arrived.

I was strictly a VW bloke back in England but with the lack of VW dealerships over this side thought against buying one.

Had it a couple of years now, never let me down and keep it regularly serviced (very reasonably priced) and the only item changed outside the services was the drive belt. Love it :D

John

kporte Oct 13th 2009 7:50 am

Toyota or Mazda. No question....

lee_h Oct 13th 2009 10:18 am

Originally Posted by cookiestar (Post 8012176)
I had a Mazda 3 back in the UK and it was great. I had it 4 years and never had any problems (well, apart from when some fool drove into the back of me)

And did you get the pay out for whiplash? "Where there's blame there's a claim". Isn't that what they all say over there?

For the car? My 2002 Corolla has done 266,000 km's and is still going well. I've been looking at the Hyundai i30 diesel for when i change though. 4.7 litres per 100 k's can't be bad. Good reviews too.

Oh yeah, a 3 yr unlimited warranty too.

MeinMel Oct 13th 2009 10:45 am

Good point, I thought about the I30 too...

Pharaoh Oct 13th 2009 10:57 am

Useful thread for many of us who will move to OZ.

We are a family of five and we're thinking about the Holden Calais VX II. Any opinions or experiences please?

rab Oct 13th 2009 10:59 am

Can't beat Jap cars, best of these Toyota or try stretching to a Subaru, well worth it

cookiestar Oct 13th 2009 11:03 am

Originally Posted by lee_h (Post 8012504)
And did you get the pay out for whiplash? "Where there's blame there's a claim". Isn't that what they all say over there?

Don't be silly. I claimed for the repairs and a courtesy car while mine was being fixed and that's all.

We had an i30 as a hire car when we first arrived here. It didn't feel very substantial to be honest. I'd definitely go for a Mazda over one of them.

lee_h Oct 13th 2009 11:20 am

Originally Posted by cookiestar (Post 8012583)
Don't be silly. I claimed for the repairs and a courtesy car while mine was being fixed and that's all.

We had an i30 as a hire car when we first arrived here. It didn't feel very substantial to be honest. I'd definitely go for a Mazda over one of them.

I've read a few reviews about the i30 but never driven one yet. Some reviews even go as far as to say that if the badges were covered up they'd think it was a German car. That must be a complement. What do you mean "It didn't feel substantial" ? I thought they had lots of spec. Was your hire car the basic model? I'm not doubting your experience....just wondered.

cookiestar Oct 13th 2009 11:24 am

It comes in one petrol model AFAIK. We had the 2.0l petrol one. The auto box was frustrating. Really clunky and not great at all, plus not much grunt to the engine. And a bit of road noise too. It just felt overall a little bit flimsy too - I wouldn't want to crash in it. This is in comparison to my old Mazda and my current Golf.