British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Missing traffic wardens? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/missing-traffic-wardens-299205/)

GLR Apr 27th 2005 4:45 am

Missing traffic wardens?

I've been in Brisbane for three months now and I don't think that I've seen a traffic warden yet... This either means that there are very few traffic wardens in the City or I just don't know what they look like!

The latter scenario is slightly worrying as I've heard that you can get a ticket here without the warden having to fix anything to your window - you just get the ticket through the post.

Can anyone put my mind at rest on this issue. One of the things that I've loved about Brisbane having come from London is the ease of driving and parking around town. It'd be a real bombshell if it turned out that I've been racking up the parking fines all this time. ;-)

Cheers

GLR

madsad Apr 27th 2005 12:42 pm

Re: Missing traffic wardens?

Originally Posted by GLR
I've been in Brisbane for three months now and I don't think that I've seen a traffic warden yet... This either means that there are very few traffic wardens in the City or I just don't know what they look like!

The latter scenario is slightly worrying as I've heard that you can get a ticket here without the warden having to fix anything to your window - you just get the ticket through the post.

Can anyone put my mind at rest on this issue. One of the things that I've loved about Brisbane having come from London is the ease of driving and parking around town. It'd be a real bombshell if it turned out that I've been racking up the parking fines all this time. ;-)

Cheers

GLR

We,ve seen one! the buggar gave us a parking ticket on our first journey into the city :mad: Had only been here a week!!

Havent heard anything about getting posted a ticket though :confused:

Donna.

Brisben Apr 27th 2005 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by madsad
We,ve seen one! the buggar gave us a parking ticket on our first journey into the city :mad: Had only been here a week!!

Donna.

GLR you probably have a load waiting to get through the postal service !

Big brother is watching you !

jc_hoops Apr 27th 2005 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by GLR

Cheers

GLR

Know what you mean about the driving. I was on a reccy a month or so ago, and decided to take a trip into the CDB on Saturday morning. All I heard from the owner of the motel where I was staying, was "how mad I must be" driving in on a Saturday morning, etc.Even though some lanes were closed due to work going on over one of the bridges, was still a good drive. If that's bad...give me more :)

They want to try the A40/M40/M25 on a Saturday, let alone a working day...aghhh ! :mad:

GLR Apr 27th 2005 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by madsad

Donna.

Hi Donna

So what do they look like then? I need to be able to identify one from roughly 20 metres away whilst I'm sat on a yellow line! ;)

Can anyone else clarify whether they need to physically fix the ticket to your window (as in the UK) or can they just post it?

Cheers

GLR

ABCDiamond Apr 28th 2005 12:11 am

Originally Posted by jc_hoops
Know what you mean about the driving. I was on a reccy a month or so ago, and decided to take a trip into the CDB on Saturday morning. All I heard from the owner of the motel where I was staying, was "how mad I must be" driving in on a Saturday morning, etc.Even though some lanes were closed due to work going on over one of the bridges, was still a good drive. If that's bad...give me more :)

They want to try the A40/M40/M25 on a Saturday, let alone a working day...aghhh ! :mad:

:D From my experiences in Brisbane, Saturday is worse than weekday for driving in.

But I know what you mean, I allowed 2 hours to drive in on my first "rush hour" trip, but got there in 1 hour :) But it is easier coming in from the East :)

bondipom Apr 28th 2005 12:53 am

Maybe Bondi council has nicked all the wardens. All the outsiders provide about 20 million in revenue to Waverley council. Only Sydney City gets more in NSW.

pandya_m Apr 28th 2005 5:30 am

Originally Posted by GLR
Cheers
GLR

I am short to understand the responses for this thread :confused:
Can anyone point out how they look...???
thanks

irishmolly Apr 28th 2005 8:22 am

Originally Posted by pandya_m
I am short to understand the responses for this thread :confused:
Can anyone point out how they look...???
thanks

Male or female, wear dark green trousers, gray Brisbane City Council shirt and either a grey baseball cap or peak cap with Brisbane City Council logo. They don't exactly stand out from the crowd so you can't run back to your car and reason with them. Park around Queen St, Elizabeth St or Adelaide St and you'll most certainly meet them !

Not sure about getting fined without a ticket, I thought they placed a ticket on your windscreen not just seeing it arrive in the mail.

tinaj Apr 28th 2005 8:31 am

I got a ticket when I visited Eumundi Market. My car was parked the wrong side of the sign and the ticket was left on my windscreen.

I wouldn't mind but it was issued 2 mins before we got back and we had returned to buy a $1.50 pineapple, which ended up costing me $61.50 :mad: