Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Missing a Sponsor!

Missing a Sponsor!

Old Feb 16th 2006, 9:09 pm
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice
Red face Missing a Sponsor!

Hello Folks,

Can anyone already in Oz, with a sponsor and assuror, help me with this one?

My family and I arrived in Brisbane mid October 2006 on a 139 desig area sponsored visa. I was working within five weeks of getting here, which I was quite pleased about as we had nothing lined up . Our sponsor and assuror has left Australia and is now resident in Indonesia. He is no longer paying tax in Australia and the ATO know about it.

You can guess what the question is, how does this now affect our residency in Australia :scared: . Has anyone been in this position? We are not claiming any more support than we are entitled to as PR’s, I’m in full time work, we are no burden on the state. Comments welcome to either put our mind at ease or put us in panic mode!!
Old Feb 16th 2006, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing a Sponsor!

Originally Posted by Plug
Hello Folks,

My family and I arrived in Brisbane mid October 2006 on a 139 desig area sponsored visa. I was working within five weeks of getting here, which I was quite pleased about as we had nothing lined up . Our sponsor and assuror has left Australia and is now resident in Indonesia. He is no longer paying tax in Australia and the ATO know about it.

You can guess what the question is, how does this now affect our residency in Australia :scared: . Has anyone been in this position? We are not claiming any more support than we are entitled to as PR’s, I’m in full time work, we are no burden on the state. Comments welcome to either put our mind at ease or put us in panic mode!!
We too came out on a 139 visa - but I think the best way to put your mind at rest would be to contact someone at the immigration department - I really can't see any problems as when the people/person sponsored and assured for you they fitted the criteria then - I think it is only you/your family that need to fulfil your end of the criteria for the 2 years. I don't see how they can expect your sponsor/assurer to remain in Oz - but I would check it out
Sarah
Old Feb 17th 2006, 12:03 am
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for that, the only worry I have in contacting DIMIA is that it will set the alarm bells ringing, I think best policy until I get some clarification is to keep quiet for now........
Old Feb 17th 2006, 1:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Folks,

Changes in circumstances after you validate do not normally affect your PR status.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:27 am
ABCDiamond

I am aware of people arriving in Australia after being sponsored, they have problems with their sponsor, and then have to fend for themselves.

What sometimes happens is that Centrelink then pay them Hardship benefits, (yes, even within the 2 years), but they still stay in the country.

Once you are here, my advise is to just forget it, no-one seems to be interested, unless you need to claim.