Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

missing relatives (lost)

missing relatives (lost)

Old Jul 17th 2004, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future
Default missing relatives (lost)

Hello, my name is julie and I have a half-sister that could be in Australia somewhere
She was adopted when she was six(she is now 28)
It is believed that she emigrated to Australia with her adoptive family some years ago.
Could anyone tell me if there is a way of finding someone that could be over there?
I just don't know where to start.
Any help gratefully received
Thanks
Old Jul 17th 2004, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default finding people

Hi!
in answer to your question, it is possible to track people down. A mate of mine had an uncle who migrated in the early '60's to Brisbane and wanted to get intouch after many years of silence.
I had lots to work from and the first place is the phone book, of course. Failing that, if they have been in Australia fro many years, you can reseaarch the electoral roles, although any British subjects after Jan '84 won't be on them, as they were not allowed to register for the vote in Australia after that time. However, those on the role could still be registered and able to vote in elections, and a Federal e
Old Jul 17th 2004, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road
Default Re: missing relatives (lost)

Originally posted by sunnyj
Hello, my name is julie and I have a half-sister that could be in Australia somewhere
She was adopted when she was six(she is now 28)
It is believed that she emigrated to Australia with her adoptive family some years ago.
Could anyone tell me if there is a way of finding someone that could be over there?
I just don't know where to start.
Any help gratefully received
Thanks

Try this site, it has links to others as well:

http://www.aftc.com.au/

Also I helped find my friend's missing uncle (also her godfather) through this site as it had details of his immigration to Australia listed, they are now happily in touch with each other:

http://www.naa.gov.au/

It is difficult with adoption records as they are kept confidential, but if you know her adoptive name then you may be in with a chance.

Sandy
Old Jul 17th 2004, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

I'm interested in this too, but for NZ, anyone know where to start looking for a lost kiwi?

Very limited information on the person I'm trying to find though.

Thanks.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by steandleigh
I'm interested in this too, but for NZ, anyone know where to start looking for a lost kiwi?

Very limited information on the person I'm trying to find though.

Thanks.
I'm sure the first link above also covers NZ, it's actually a family tree magazine website but there are some good links on there. Do you know where the person is in NZ. I know it sounds a bit daft but have you tried doing a google search on the name and the place e.g "Crawshaw" "Auckland" (722 hits!)? Sometimes you can get lucky with all these message boards that are around.

I'm a bit of a closet genealogist, you know...

Sandy
Old Jul 17th 2004, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandy.l
I'm sure the first link above also covers NZ, it's actually a family tree magazine website but there are some good links on there. Do you know where the person is in NZ. I know it sounds a bit daft but have you tried doing a google search on the name and the place e.g "Crawshaw" "Auckland" (722 hits!)? Sometimes you can get lucky with all these message boards that are around.

Sandy
have sent you a pm.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 8:28 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Sandy
Hi Sandy,
Does that mean you search cupboards for old lamps ?
Old Jul 17th 2004, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Bix
Hi Sandy,
Does that mean you search cupboards for old lamps ?
Oh, you are a one......!
Old Jul 17th 2004, 8:32 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, you are a one......!
And a lot of people are thankful I am in the singular