Missing poms

Old Oct 17th 2006, 4:02 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Missing poms

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Many people have said that it unfriendly anti Pom there but we will find that out for ourselves i guess!
Well, jad n rich are still there. So it can't be terribly bad.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 4:04 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Missing poms

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Don't believe everything you are told We have been on the Gold Coast just under a year and have yet met with any anti pom feeling or any negative comments at all. Possibly because most people have come from other states, they are just chuffed and impressed we have made the effort to move all this way. Stacks and stacks of stuff for teenagers to do in the region. My girls have never been so busy
great stuff...my daughter will love it by the sounds of it...and me
Old Oct 17th 2006, 4:11 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

AS you know, both coasts have very transient populations. Almost everyone you meet is Victorian or from NSW. I suspect lots om immigrants (both interstate and International) try these areas, because of their obvious appeal to Poms or Vics, but struggle and move, either back or on.

I've been here for 18 years :scared: , but not much longer......
Old Oct 17th 2006, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Del Boy
AS you know, both coasts have very transient populations. Almost everyone you meet is Victorian or from NSW. I suspect lots om immigrants (both interstate and International) try these areas, because of their obvious appeal to Poms or Vics, but struggle and move, either back or on.

I've been here for 18 years :scared: , but not much longer......
One of the things is common is that people move around alot chasing family or jobs.

I like VIC because people seem to rate it to live, even if it means they retire to QLD.

Other destinations really seem like resorts and as you say, transient.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 5:02 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Many people have said that it unfriendly anti Pom there but we will find that out for ourselves i guess!
I can honestly say that I haven't encountered any anti-pom sentiment in the 3 years we've been here in Brisbane. We live in the affluent western suburbs so perhaps that has something to do with it, lots of nice families here, although we've been to lots (and lots ) of suburbs now looking for landscaping supplies etc. and always find people friendly and helpful.

Jad, we are just coming up to 3 years and aren't going back, so we'll be middling people too.

Jane
Old Oct 17th 2006, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Also for those here long term do you find the aussies dont consider you a aussie but poms no longer consider your a pom, sort of no longer belong in either place feeling
I never want to be considered an aussie, I'm english and always will be and I never get paranoid or hung up on the fact that I am called a pommie...no big deal unless you want it to be.

I feel that this is home whether being an aussie or not and feel in place. You obviously feel very unsettled and maybe you need to think about where you would like to be in 5 years time.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
I never want to be considered an aussie, I'm english and always will be and I never get paranoid or hung up on the fact that I am called a pommie...no big deal unless you want it to be.

I feel that this is home whether being an aussie or not and feel in place. You obviously feel very unsettled and maybe you need to think about where you would like to be in 5 years time.
Not concerned about what I am called, have both passports not an issue, its more the 'feeling' thing of not really being anything anymore.

As for discussing it try not to in a house of 5 people who have never agreed where they all want to be, a day of not discussing it would be nice. Today its 3/2 for, the day we get to 5/0 on either side I will be one happy beanie.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

As for discussing it try not to in a house of 5 people who have never agreed where they all want to be, a day of not discussing it would be nice. Today its 3/2 for, the day we get to 5/0 on either side I will be one happy beanie.
We're usually 1/3/1 or 1/2/2, for England, Australia, Japan, respectively. It ain't easy, is it?

Last edited by Exile; Oct 17th 2006 at 6:54 am.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Not concerned about what I am called, have both passports not an issue, its more the 'feeling' thing of not really being anything anymore.

Ah, well thats different when some people whom you live with are not sure where they want to be. Its quite amazing how that feeling can breed into everyone else.

Hard to suggest what to do apart from maybe moving to a place where its a little busier, but then that always comes with its own problems. We were very lucky to move to Manly and have met probably too many friends that sometimes we have to say no to going out! Also, here, there is a large UK proportion of people as well as lots of other nationalities so it probably feels less australian than where you are.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 6:46 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I've met a mixture of new arrivals, couple of year-ers, and five years and beyond. Some of the people I first met when we arrived have now left, the majority are still here. But most of them are on temporary 457 visas, so when their four years are up, who knows what they will do. Hopefully stick around otherwise I might be a bit lonely!
Old Oct 17th 2006, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
We're usually 1/3/1 or 1/2/2, for Australia, England, Japan, respectively. It ain't easy, is it?
Well we occasionally do 2/2/1 by adding in move back to Victoria, and occasionally R comes home with the community chest card and suggests moving to a place in far north qld or worse the WA desert for more monopoly money, however your japanese versions takes the biscuit so far.