Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Missing Parcel from the UK

Missing Parcel from the UK

Old Nov 13th 2007, 11:13 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Question Missing Parcel from the UK

Guys, my Mum posted a large parcel to us on 4 September this year with the kids Xmas stuff in it. At that time, they were told it was too big for airmail but that there was a courier service they could use. The only downside was that it would cost £70 but it would be here within 42 days.

So, they paid up, and got a tracking number for it.

It's now mid November and it's still not here. The Parcel force website has no information on it. The auspost site shows the last record of it was in Coventry on the 13th September. I've called Auspost and they say it has not arrived in Australia. My parents have lodged a claim but their post office say it's not their problem, it's parcel force. Parcel force are telling Mum and Dad it's the post office who needs to sort it.

AAarrrghhhh!!

I've emailed Parcel Force so need to wait a couple of days to see if they reply. Might try to call them tonight actually.

What I was wondering was if any of you have any idea how I might be able to track this parcel down. Doe sanyone have a number of someone I might be able to call who will help?

This parcel is our kids' Christmas presents and it's our first Xmas away from family so my Mum's breaking her heart thinking it's all lost.

I know there's always the hope it's gone surface and will still arrive but if we could just confirm that we'd be happier.

Gill
Old Nov 13th 2007, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

lee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nice
Default Re: Missing Parcel from the UK

Remember the postal strikes that went on a few weeks ago may have something to do with it, think my recorded first class letter took a week and half to reach london 2 weeks after the strike.

Hope you get it!.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 11:26 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

We have had a couple of things go surface mail by mistake and take anything up to 4 months to arrive. Unfortunately if you go with the post services they can track their own end but not the transfer nor the other side. Consider UPS, DHL etc for extra security on expensive stuff.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I would think that if they paid Parcelforce and the tracking number is from Parcelforce then they should track it.

Hope it does get found!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

MaggieM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by herrchook
Guys, my Mum posted a large parcel to us on 4 September this year with the kids Xmas stuff in it. At that time, they were told it was too big for airmail but that there was a courier service they could use. The only downside was that it would cost £70 but it would be here within 42 days.

It's now mid November and it's still not here. The Parcel force website has no information on it. The auspost site shows the last record of it was in Coventry on the 13th September. I've called Auspost and they say it has not arrived in Australia. My parents have lodged a claim but their post office say it's not their problem, it's parcel force. Parcel force are telling Mum and Dad it's the post office who needs to sort it.

AAarrrghhhh!!

I've emailed Parcel Force so need to wait a couple of days to see if they reply. Might try to call them tonight actually.

What I was wondering was if any of you have any idea how I might be able to track this parcel down. Doe sanyone have a number of someone I might be able to call who will help?

This parcel is our kids' Christmas presents and it's our first Xmas away from family so my Mum's breaking her heart thinking it's all lost.

I know there's always the hope it's gone surface and will still arrive but if we could just confirm that we'd be happier.

Gill
Hi Gill!

How awful for you! I hope it arrives soon.

If it's any consolation, my daughter paid for my copy of her wedding album to be sent out here to me by airmail and to be signed for. She posted it on 7 July and I finally got it at the beginning of October. It had obviously come by sea.

Agree with previous poster about the mail strike they had in UK, my daughter said that a different departments of the post office were striking on different days to cause most disruption.

Hopefully, your parcel will arrive soon.

Regards,

Maggie
Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:03 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
We have had a couple of things go surface mail by mistake and take anything up to 4 months to arrive.
Yup, I've had exactly the same thing happen - AirMail paid for, air mail stickers on the package - but it ends up going surface mail.

I would say whoever is responsible is whoever had it when in Coventry when there was last some record - good luck!

Last edited by bcworld; Nov 14th 2007 at 12:06 am.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

DOn't give up hope yet, its only been 2 months. I've had stuff that should have gone airmail turn up by sea after 4 or 5 months, and even airmail stuff that has taken 3 months.
Fingers crossed.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your story..Isn't that why they are called Parcel Farce..?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 1:22 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

My mum said a parcel in sept also and i just recieved it yesterday think its got something to do with the postal strikes, my friend sent one by courier 4 weeks ago still waiting there could be delays at customs also.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 1:25 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Moral of the story - buy the presents here and wrap them up as if they came from the UK. If the kids are young enough they won't care, if they are old enough they shouldn't care. What is the point of spending all that money to ship stuff when you can get it here?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 1:49 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Moral of the story - buy the presents here and wrap them up as if they came from the UK. If the kids are young enough they won't care, if they are old enough they shouldn't care. What is the point of spending all that money to ship stuff when you can get it here?
I partly agree - but there are some things you can't get here that do need to be posted. Takes the personal side out of it too - if Gill's mum was out shopping and spotted a nice present, say a top, for one of her grandkids - by way of example.

Hope the parcel turns up, Gill.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 1:51 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I partly agree - but there are some things you can't get here that do need to be posted. Takes the personal side out of it too - if Gill's mum was out shopping and spotted a nice present, say a top, for one of her grandkids - by way of example.

Hope the parcel turns up, Gill.
Depends on whether or not you feel you need that much attachment to those back in the UK I suppose.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 3:11 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We posted a parcel of children's presents from the States to Australia and never heard anything about it arriving - but then Australian children don't seem to do "Thank you" so we thought nothing of it.

Twelve months later we got back from shopping (in the States still) and on the doorstep was the rather battered parcel with several scribbled notes on it such as "not deliverable", "not known at this address" etc. It was correctly addressed so what had gone on I know not!

Give it six months, and good luck!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

emmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant futureemmal has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by herrchook

AAarrrghhhh!!

Gill
Just wondering if your parcel ever turned up as we are in the same position. Mum posted 2 parcels about a month ago and the first turned up no problem about a week and a half ago but the other is yet to arrive. Very near to Christmas now so getting very nervous!!! If you found your parcel how did you go about it?? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks Emma x
Old Dec 17th 2007, 2:27 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmal
Just wondering if your parcel ever turned up as we are in the same position. Mum posted 2 parcels about a month ago and the first turned up no problem about a week and a half ago but the other is yet to arrive. Very near to Christmas now so getting very nervous!!! If you found your parcel how did you go about it?? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks Emma x
OMG, I totally forgot to come and tell you all. It has arrived wwoohhoooooo. It actually arrived the same day as a letter from Australia Post telling me they were investigating a lost parcel from the UK. Still, it's good to see it was actually being investigated and not just forgotten about. Turns out is DID go sea mail after all - could they not just have told us that when Mum posted it and she'd have been spared the worry?

We have now accounted for all gifts sent to us and all the gifts we posted to the UK so we're very happy.

I hope you're arrive really soon Emma. Will keep my fingers crossed.

Gill