Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Missed the NHS today. . .

Missed the NHS today. . .

Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light
Default Missed the NHS today. . .

not enough to go back across and not a huge moan just a wee gripe but took the kiddiwinks (2 of) to the doctors today and between the doctors and chemist I was $200!!!

We're over on a student visa BTW so no medicare just OSHC so will get maybe $40 back. . . .

Cheers
Mandy
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:11 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Missed the NHS today. . .

Originally Posted by mandyp
not enough to go back across and not a huge moan just a wee gripe but took the kiddiwinks (2 of) to the doctors today and between the doctors and chemist I was $200!!!

We're over on a student visa BTW so no medicare just OSHC so will get maybe $40 back. . . .

Cheers
Mandy
Yep, peeps always knock the NHS while in UK, but when it's not there, we realise just what a good thing it is. Shame really.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:20 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Woth remembering that you may take benefit of the reciprocal health care agreement between the UK and Australia should the worst come to the worst for any immediately necessary treatment.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Centurion
Woth remembering that you may take benefit of the reciprocal health care agreement between the UK and Australia should the worst come to the worst for any immediately necessary treatment.
Can't remember who told me but the reciprocal agreement does not apply if you are Scottish?!!

I was always very appreciative of the NHS back across TBH though i would not have hesitated in taking the kiddiewinks for a doctors visit. Over here i'm kinda like, lets see how they are in a coupla days. . . how bad is that?!!

Mandy
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:40 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Can't remember who told me but the reciprocal agreement does not apply if you are Scottish?!!

I was always very appreciative of the NHS back across TBH though i would not have hesitated in taking the kiddiewinks for a doctors visit. Over here i'm kinda like, lets see how they are in a coupla days. . . how bad is that?!!

Mandy
http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...isitors/uk.jsp

According to this you have access to medicare even if you are scottish unless Scotland isn't part of the UK anymore.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:40 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I think they were pulling your leg!
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Cheers
Mandy
Are you sure you're not entitled to reciprocal medicare
http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...alta-italy.pdf

Definitely says "Visitors from the UK" If you have an NHS card (we had to produce ours at the Meidcare office) then you may be able to get emergency and necessary treatment (including kids throat/chest infections etc.)
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Nah on a student visa we're entitled to nothing though knew that before coming over. The Scottish thing. . . it wasn't us they we're talking bout at the time apparently Scotland didn't agree to be part of the agreement? It could well be a lot of b*&('s but I dunno we're not entitled to claim. . .

Mandy
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mandy, not sure if this will help, our son on a student visa only has to pay $5 to see a Dr. recommended thru the uni. I appreciate that it might be different for accompanying family. Also we are here on a temporary visa and have to have private health cover, as not entitled to medicare, but we are charged medicare rates for prescriptions. Our local pharmacist asked why we were paying for private prescriptions, as we are British, and therefore have reciprocal rights. He checked up for us. We pay the normal rate to see a Dr. but can claim it back from our health insurance. Might be worth a try.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tomar
Hi Mandy, not sure if this will help, our son on a student visa only has to pay $5 to see a Dr. recommended thru the uni. I appreciate that it might be different for accompanying family. Also we are here on a temporary visa and have to have private health cover, as not entitled to medicare, but we are charged medicare rates for prescriptions. Our local pharmacist asked why we were paying for private prescriptions, as we are British, and therefore have reciprocal rights. He checked up for us. We pay the normal rate to see a Dr. but can claim it back from our health insurance. Might be worth a try.
Hiya, yeah we have OSHC and get a % back of doctors visit but I'm not sure bout the prescription charges i just thought what we paid was what it was?

e.g. I was $15 for amoxyxillin? If there's a way of paying less then that would be great. . .

cheers
Mandy
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:41 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Nah on a student visa we're entitled to nothing
Even on a student visa you are entitled to Medicare for emergency treatment under the Reciprocal Agreeement between UK and Oz: "If you are visiting on a student visa you are covered by Medicare [under the reciprocal agreement]"

Read the link that Katherine provided above which has the info. And visit your local Medicare office with your UK NHS card. (Print out the document from Katherine's link and take it with you just in case.)

Gina
Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Generally speaking Overseas studenars are not entitled to medicare. However, as a Scot, and as you have an entitlement to NHS treatment I am 99% certain that you could get reciprocal Medicare. And if you can find a bulk billing GP that means free care!
Also if you take your NHS card to the medicare office you may even be entitled to more of a rebate on the $200 you paid out today.
BTW I would think $15 is about right for amoxy....
Good Luck.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:27 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katherined0
Generally speaking Overseas studenars are not entitled to medicare. However, as a Scot, and as you have an entitlement to NHS treatment I am 99% certain that you could get reciprocal Medicare.
In a nutshell: A person from the UK (doesn't matter whether that's from England, Scotland, Wales, or NI ...) on a student visa is not entitled to Medicare. But the same person will be entitled to emergency treatment under Medicare because of the reciprocal agreement between Oz and the UK.

(And there are quite a few posters on BE who have managed to get ALL their medical treatment under Medicare even though they weren't/aren't entitled to that, because the rule re "emergency treatment only" isn't strictly enforced.)

Gina

Last edited by GinaUK; Sep 25th 2008 at 8:31 am.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:30 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

e.g. I was $15 for amoxyxillin? If there's a way of paying less then that would be great. . .

cheers
Mandy
that is exactly what we paid for it 2 days ago (for 14 tablets) - asked if we wanted a cheaper brand which we went for.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanx v much for all the feedback everyone, but you have left me a little confused (not that hard to confuse me really especially when all av got is a $200 pay out going through ma brain!!)

anyway, as far as my understanding goes. . .

I have my OSHC which is through Medibank, I take my doctors bill of $80 to them and they'll refund me a % back (I've done this before) but other than that, I didn't think i could claim anything else. . . are you guys saying that i can?

Cheers
Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.