Misguided abuse

Old Dec 6th 2006, 10:59 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Misguided abuse

Just thought I'd spend a moment to post what just happened to some friends that live up the road. He is an Australian and the wife is British. They are quite poor and own a 20+ year old Mercedes Benz.

A Car load of yobs drove past them the other day and stopped so they could shout out....' Go back to where you come from you rich foreign ******!'

Both were very shocked and he was quite embarrassed about it. What I want to know is how come owning a very old Merc means you’re foreign or rich?

Also we are now 100% certain the missus is being discriminated against when it comes to getting a job, over 40 applications now and only 2 reject letters and no interviews. This country doesn’t deserve to get high quality skilled migrants and if we had known then what we know now there is no way we would have come!
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:04 am
Got our visas

julie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Misguided abuse

Originally Posted by arkon
Just thought I'd spend a moment to post what just happened to some friends that live up the road. He is an Australian and the wife is British. They are quite poor and own a 20+ year old Mercedes Benz.

A Car load of yobs drove past them the other day and stopped so they could shout out....' Go back to where you come from you rich foreign ******!'

Both were very shocked and he was quite embarrassed about it. What I want to know is how come owning a very old Merc means you’re foreign or rich?

Also we are now 100% certain the missus is being discriminated against when it comes to getting a job, over 40 applications now and only 2 reject letters and no interviews. This country doesn’t deserve to get high quality skilled migrants and if we had known then what we know now there is no way we would have come!
That's terrible!
Do you mind me asking where do you live?
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:10 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julie hilton
That's terrible!
Do you mind me asking where do you live?
Mid north coast about 3 hours north of Sydney.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

I believe we are discriminated against.
Hubby was ok as we where sponsored.
I got my job as I new the manager of the hostel where i work.
But my daughter who is clever, talented, and beautiful, had so much trouble getting a job while at Uni, and could only get on at Mc Ds, she was really p....d off at the time. Se is ok now and works in a day care centre.
But Im sure she did not get a look in because she was new to the country.
She did not even get replies from her appications.
Like my hubby says once you get your foot on the ladder you are ok.
Denise
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Wish I really didn't agree with you guys, but sadly this subtle and sometimes not so - discrimination has affected all in my family. The anti Pom ad campaigns also really offend me. I do sometimes wonder (when I'm down) what state this country would be in with out the influx of skilled migrants and the money they bring with them.

Tracey
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:50 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

What I want to know is how come owning a very old Merc means you’re foreign or rich?

Well as we know, it doesn't... which just shows the intelligence level of the local kids.

If you're wife is being discriminated against, she should be able to find some sort of legal help... right? Is it maybe the school she's at right now which is putting people off?
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:54 am
Account Closed

Mid north coast about 3 hours north of Sydney.

I was probably quite near you whilst on hols the other week, right?! I met some of the locals...
I think I told you, they were having some sort of competition outside the local shop, with their kids in tow...
The conversation went like this:

Person one: "F* ck you!'

Person 2: (Louder) 'Na, F*uck you!'

Person 1: (Even louder) 'Na mate, f* ck you!

Person 2: Naaaaa, F*uck you!

Entertaining though it was, I had to drag myself away to buy some ice cream and go swimming. Thank god, the rest of the locals were very nice.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

Are there other things apart from the recent incident that you now know that would have swayed u into not going to oz? Perhaps you could share them with us before we dive in. I like to hear the goods and bads. although i know everyones experience is different and that u never know how things will be until u actually are there.

CC
Old Dec 6th 2006, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flump
Hi,

Are there other things apart from the recent incident that you now know that would have swayed u into not going to oz? Perhaps you could share them with us before we dive in. I like to hear the goods and bads. although i know everyones experience is different and that u never know how things will be until u actually are there.

CC
Im still glad we did it, just be prepated for any setbacks.
2 years on we are settled and very happy.
Denise
Old Dec 6th 2006, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cranni
Im still glad we did it, just be prepated for any setbacks.
2 years on we are settled and very happy.
Denise
great to hear.
do u ever think that u will return to uk or does it not cross your mind?

x
Old Dec 6th 2006, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

I think we still would have done it, however, I would have prepared myself better and the children. As far as jobs are concerned I think I would have geared certainly my eldest up to be far more aggressive in his job search, its right, it really does appear that once you have an Ozzie job on your Resume, its easier to get another!!!!

Got for it, just make sure you've not borrowed someone's rose coloured specs.

Tracey

Hi,

CC
Old Dec 6th 2006, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

Perhaps you could share them with us before we dive in. I

Search Arkon's posts, flump.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

great to hear.
do u ever think that u will return to uk or does it not cross your mind?

x
NO definately NOT, my kids are settled and would not unsettle them at their ages.
My mum and dad where 20 pound poms, they took us back when i was 15, and i hated them for it. I wouldnt do that to my kids. Although now im older i understand how hard it was for them.
Next week i will be applying for citizenship.
Good luck to you.
Denise
Old Dec 6th 2006, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

to set the scene....

we've "just" got in the country (9 months) and OH has been looking for jobs for the last two weeks. We're both here on student visas so have work restrictions and no aussie work experience (OH was here on a WHV but that was years ago, and is not on resumé). Probably around 30 applications mailled in to various places.

First interview (office manager) she was offered the job on the spot, but turned it down as it wasn't really suitable. A lot of the others have been recruitment agencies - some of them an obvious waste of time... others have been very positive with a few of them offering her hints and tips on her resume, and on interview techniques.

Started new job today, full time up until uni starts again - then hours will be dropped. can honestly say there's be no discrimination up here - regardless of student visa restirctions, no aussie work experience, or otherwise.

one of my tutors (aussie born bred and educated) told me that when she was looking for jobs a few years ago, most of the ones she applied for she didn't get andything back, or occasionally got 1 line letter replies "thanks but no thanks". When she got an interview she asked the interviewer why this was... they explained that they can get upwards of 200 applications per job, and only reply to the ones that they're actually going to give interviews to - 10% or less! sending "no thanks" letters to people is considered a waste of money!

as far as I'm concerned, looking for a job over here is exactly the same as it was when i was looking in the UK.... didn't get replies, got lots of "we'll keep your details on file", and a fair few rejections. it's all about marketing yourself, thorugh your resume... they don't like the look of that then you won't get a look in!
Old Dec 6th 2006, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

This country doesn’t deserve to get high quality skilled migrants

Then I guess, given what Yo says, it's possible there are better candidates for the job than your wife? Is this a possibility?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.