Reload this Page >

Minor Hospital Operation in Western Australia

Minor Hospital Operation in Western Australia

Old Jun 5th 2007, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Minor Hospital Operation in Western Australia

Hi All

Secured 136 permanent visa, but one remaining worry before full migration to Western Australia.

I have to have a 30 minute operation every 18 months in UK to remove polyps from voicebox. All tidily done here in UK on the NHS at no cost or private insurance mularky.

Can anyone give any tips,advice on how to deal with this in Australia ? I know Medicare should cover such items on 136 visa, but stuck with this for life, so need to absolutely sure I am OK with this before I move.

Is there anything I should really know ? or be aware of ?

Ps.. Getting information form OZ hospitals a ruddy nightmare.

Grateful for replies….

Dave
Old Jun 5th 2007, 4:16 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minor Hospital Operation in Western Australia

Originally Posted by mindblower
Hi All

Secured 136 permanent visa.
I have to have a 30 minute operation every 18 months in UK to remove polyps from voicebox.

Can anyone give any tips,advice on how to deal with this in Australia ? I know Medicare should cover such items on 136 visa.
Dave
Hi Dave,

if your doctor thinks you need this op (rather than it being "cosmetic"), then it's covered under Medicare. Just as in the UK: You go to the doctor, doc refers you to hospital to ENT doc for op, you have op.

As a side issue: You may want to look up on the web the public hospitals in the town/area where you are going to, then look up whether they have an ENT department, then contact them and ask if they have a waiting list for your kind of op.

Gina
Old Jun 5th 2007, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Minor Hospital Operation in Western Australia

Gina[/QUOTE]

Gina,

Thanks.

Its not a cosmetic op, its a real recurrant thing (sigh).

I've e-mialed and been to Royal Perth Hospital in person.

They do treat it via GP/Consultant route ....waiting times approx 7 months..
The ENT secrecary only gave me the bare essentials...NOT very expansive.

Just fearful being reliant on another country's healthcare for life, can't afford any margin for error here.

Dave